70th Anniversary of The Empire of Japan's "Surprise" Attack on Pearl Harbor

Agent M

Proud Member
Archival photos reveal horror of the Pearl Harbor on 70th anniversary of the attack

Zoran Bozicevic Dec 6, 2011 – 12:02 PM ET | Last Updated: Dec 6, 2011 12:04 PM ET

December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in which over 2,400 members of the United States military were killed.

Seventy years ago this week, Navy veteran Lou Gore was startled by the muffled thuds of explosions and a burst of commotion while cleaning up from breakfast below deck on the USS Phoenix, a cruiser docked at Pearl Harbor.

Hurrying topside, the 18-year-old seaman first-class was confronted by pandemonium he was unable to immediately comprehend — flames shooting skyward, roiling clouds of dark, acrid smoke, swarms of fighter-bombers buzzing low overhead.

“We didn’t know (at first) those were Japanese planes,” Gore, now 88 and visiting the islands with nine members of his family, recalled in a recent interview. “We didn’t know what was happening. I just did my job.”

Gore is one of 100 aging Pearl Harbor Survivors who will attend ceremonies on Wednesday on Oahu marking the 70th anniversary of the Japanese air and naval assault that claimed 2,390 American lives and drew the United States into World War Two.

Nearly half of those who perished were sailors aboard the battleship USS Arizona, which Japanese tor**** bombers sank early in the attack, sending 1,177 of its 1,400-member crew to their deaths.

The USS Arizona Memorial, built over the remains of the ship, now forms a centerpiece of the World War Two Valor in the Pacific National Monument, an historic site administered by the National Park Service.

30c90f09.jpg

The USS SHAW explodes during the Japanese raid on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii December 7, 1941. December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in which over 2,400 members of the United States military were killed. Picture taken December 7, 1941.

c1e52c11.jpg

The "Healing Field," of 2,500 flags at the USS Arizona memorial side

bedce420.jpg

This December 7, 1941, photo from The National Archives shows the USS West Virginia burning after the surprise Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The carefully-planned and well-executed attack removed the United States Navy's battleship force as a possible threat to the Japanese Empire's southward expansion. December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the attack which abruptly brought America into the Second World War as a full combatant.

f9123deb.jpg

The US Pacific Fleet burns in its home base at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii after 360 Japanese warplanes made a massive surprise attack, 07 December 1941. This 07 December, 2011 will mark the 70th anniversary of the attack which drew the US into World War II.

ac00992f.jpg

The U.S. Navy battleship USS California is seen ablaze after an attack by Japanese carrier based strike aircraft on the Hawaiian port of Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941. December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in which over 2,400 members of the United States military were killed. Picture taken December 7, 1941.

1ac52259.jpg

The USS Nevada is aground and burning off Waipio Point, after the end of the Japanese air raid in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii December 7, 1941. Ships assisting the USS Nevada (R) are the harbor tug Hoga and USS Avocet. December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in which over 2,400 members of the United States military were killed. Picture taken December 7, 1941.

ea7951ad.jpg

The USS Arizona is seen ablaze, immediately following the explosion of its forward magazines after the Japanese attack in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii December 7, 1941. The photo is from a frame clipped from a color motion picture taken from onboard USS Solace. December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in which over 2,400 members of the United States military were killed. Picture taken December 7, 1941.

f657c968.jpg

This captured Japanese photograph shows the attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii December 7, 1941. In the distance, the smoke rises from Hickam Field. December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in which over 2,400 members of the United States military were killed. Picture taken December 7, 1941.

20c77799.jpg

The forward magazines of USS Arizona explode after it was hit by a Japanese bomb in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii December 7, 1941. The photo is a frame clipped from a color motion picture taken from onboard USS Solace. December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in which over 2,400 members of the United States military were killed. Picture taken December 7, 1941.

100e1586.jpg

A view of the USS West Virginia in flames in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii December 7, 1941. December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in which over 2,400 members of the United States military were killed. Picture taken December 7, 1941.

ed3f53c2.jpg

Members of the U.S. Military stand near airplane wreckage during the surprise Japanese aerial attack at Naval Air Station at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii December 7, 1941. December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in which over 2,400 members of the United States military were killed. Picture taken December 7, 1941.

8fb829d3.jpg

The USS Arizona is seen ablaze just after its forward magazines exploded along with other warships at Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941. At right, shrouded in smoke from the fire, are the main and foremasts of USS West Virginia, which is listing sharply to port after it was torpedoed. Upright mast further to the right is the main mast of USS Tennessee moored inboard of West Virginia. The bow and foremast of USS Vestal moored outboard of Arizona, are visible at the left. December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in which over 2,400 members of the United States military were killed. Picture taken December 7, 1941.

6b5c598a.jpg

USS Nevada is seen ablaze off the Ford Island seaplane base, with her bow pointed up-channel during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii December 7, 1941. The volume of fire and smoke is from USS Shaw, which is burning in the floating dry dock in the left background. Photographed from the southeastern shore of Ford Island, near the Naval Air station HQ building. A dredging line is visible at left. Picture taken December 7, 1941.

76b20846.jpg

A burnt B-17C aircraft rests near Hangar Number Five, Hickam Field, following the attack by Japanese aircraft on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii December 7, 1941. December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in which over 2,400 members of the United States military were killed. Picture taken December 7, 1941.

850e7106.jpg

A view of the USS ARIZONA burning after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii December 7, 1941. December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in which over 2,400 members of the United States military were killed. Picture taken December 7, 1941.

455d0ed7.jpg

The U.S. Navy battleship USS Arizona burns in the Hawaiian port of Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941 after being hit by Japanese carrier based strike aircraft.

950ca875.jpg

Sailors at Naval Air Station Ford Island watch as the destroyer USS Shaw explodes after an attack by Japanese carrier based strike aircraft on the Hawaiian port of Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941.

4759b846.jpg

The USS California is seen on fire after an attack by the Japanese December 7, 1941 at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. December 7, 2011 marks the eve of the 70th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

b9de3be7.jpg

A wreath to memorialize the victims of the attack on Pearl Harbor and pay tribute to the veterans of World War II is placed in front of the Lone Sailor statue at the Naval Memorial in this file photo taken on December 7, 2003 in Washington, DC. On Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Japan Launched An Attack On Pearl Harbor 70 Years Ago.

948aca2c.jpg

Vice Admiral Michael Vitale pauses for a moment in the shrine room of the USS Arizona Memorial during a memorial service of the attack on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor on the island of Oahu, in this file photo taken on December 7, 2010 in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. On the morning of December 7, 1941 a surprise military attack was conducted by aircraft of the Imperial Japanese Navy against the U.S. Pacific Fleet being moored in Pearl Harbor becoming a major catalyst for the United States entering World War II. In the devastating attack over 2,400 people were killed and thousands wounded, and dozens of Navy vessels with were either sunk or destroyed. December 7, 2011 marks the 70th anniversary of the Japanese attack.

Archival photos reveal horror of the Pearl Harbor on 70th anniversary of the attack

I don't believe this attack was a surprise at all! Roosevelt had been strangling Japan's oil supply, threatening the survival of the empire, and then allowed the attack to happen so he could break his election promise to keep America out of the war in Europe!

While certainly against the general rules of combat, I still think Pearl Harbor is overemphasized. It was still military personnel who died, and the attack took place in an area which was not a civilian place.

It also most certainly does not excuse this:

300px-Atomic_bombing_of_Japan.jpg

But no one ever complains, least of all the U.S. government. I suppose atrocities are alright so long as the perpetrator in question is doing it "for freedom's sake." Americans are so in love with themselves, it honestly makes me sick.

And I have to add that millions of innocent civilians died at the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombing, including children, while at the Pearl Harbour only military personnel died. I'm not saying it was right the Pearl Habour attack. However, the atomic bombing in Japan was more atrocious, imo. There's no excuse for killing innocent people.

And there was no excuse for killing just "military personnel". As the granddaughter of someone who served in WW2 I find that kind of talk insulting

The thread maker and some posts is not alright... :no:

(Seems Rude)
My comment don't have anything to do with the thread maker & the first posters seeming dislike for Americans and the United States.

(Morals)
War is awful. People died from Japan & America as well as innocent by-standers (I'm sure)
To make a thread on an anniversary of WW2 Pearl Habor and then not respect the dead and their ancestors is disgusting in my humble opinion.
Have some respect for those who died and their ancestors that's still alive.

(Personal)
My Grandfather served in WW2 as well - and I don't appreciate the insulting thread and post either. poster #2 - I am not 'in love with myself' in the down-grading sarcastic way you imply. Now should I make you sick as you say Ameican me does? Perhaps make a nasty comment of Deutschland Germany - No. I wouldn't do that. I send you Love & Light.

(Quote)
"A soldier dies
A mother cries
The promised child shines in a baby's eyes
All nations sing
Let's harmonize all around the world"
- Michael Jackson

Last edited:
Soldiers are as human as civilians, they feel pain, they have families and friends, just like the little kids in Japan. All of it was a horrible nightmare, for soldiers sent to kill or die by indifferent politicians conveniently watching from safe areas, for the brainwashed japanese suicide bombers or for innocent civilians.
And nothing has changed.

Last edited:
Wherever people die because someone else uses them as human cannon target- it's wrong. Weighing one human life against another feels just wrong, period. Any form of war atrocities is disgusting, no matter under what flag the perpetrator is committing their disgusting acts of cruelty. I sure would have hoped all of mankind had learned something significant from that period, but I really don't think that's the case when people are still thinking in 'who won the war' type scenarios- and not that ALL and any wars are disgusting cruelties against humanity.

Until then Pearl Harbor remains as disgusting an example of what humanity is capable off- the same way that the Holocaust, Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the disposal of bombs by unmanned drones leave you recoiling in horror.

I truly wish that one day war will simply not happen anymore from simple lack of willing participants- as some satire prone thinkers have said.

Having said that- rest in peace to those who died a cruel death because of the inhumanity of others, no matter your nationality, color of your skin and passport.

And I have to add that millions of innocent civilians died at the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombing, including children, while at the Pearl Harbour only military personnel died. I'm not saying it was right the Pearl Habour attack. However, the atomic bombing in Japan was more atrocious, imo. There's no excuse for killing innocent people.

Millions did not die at Hiroshima/Nagasaki. Estimates place the total including post attack casualties up to 1950 at around 300,000.

And I have to add that had there been no attack on Pearl Harbor, odds are there would have been no Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

And for you to say that "only military personnel died" demonstrates an unbelievable lack of sensitivity. Did you even for one moment consider that there might, just might, be at least one forum member with ties to the military? Did you even consider that there might be someone here who lost family members in WW2? Did you even stop to consider the implications of what you wrote? Your comment is hurtful, insulting and totally uncalled for. And if you want to compare atrocities I strongly suggest you review what the Japanese did to the "military personnel" having the misfortune to become POWs. Or is that okay because they were only 'military personnel'?

Millions did not die at Hiroshima/Nagasaki. Estimates place the total including post attack casualties up to 1950 at around 300,000.

And I have to add that had there been no attack on Pearl Harbor, odds are there would have been no Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

And for you to say that "only military personnel died" demonstrates an unbelievable lack of sensitivity. Did you even for one moment consider that there might, just might, be at least one forum member with ties to the military? Did you even consider that there might be someone here who lost family members in WW2? Did you even stop to consider the implications of what you wrote? Your comment is hurtful, insulting and totally uncalled for. And if you want to compare atrocities I strongly suggest you review what the Japanese did to the "military personnel" having the misfortune to become POWs. Or is that okay because they were only 'military personnel'?

No, I don't want to 'compare' who's worse. Every single dead person is one too many.
My family member contain both Germans... and Ukrainians. There really isn't a 'standing on the right side of history'- only collective human failure.

Minimizing Hiroshima and Nagasaki is just as wrong as saying "oh, just a couple of GIs that had it comin' that died that day'. Both is truly horrendous and I wished we could stop using the past to 'fight' current political disagreements.

I have plenty of military members in my family- that still makes me detest the crimes against humanity committed. That doesn't mean I wish my military family members any harm. It just means that I wish that nobody would get killed.

By the way I grew up in East Germany where students read one of the following glorious examples of military propaganda: "The Red Army is protecting us so that we children can live in peace."
^^^It's amazing how American children are growing up with the same propaganda, minus the word "red". For that much overlap in 'thinking' you would have thought that we wouldn't need wars to fight out incredibly similar we all are.

I didn't mean any disrespect for those that died at Pearl Harbor attack. They are victims as well, who have families who suffer when something happen to them. I was just making a comment on the Japanese bombing because it happened in the city killing civilians. Civilians are not involved in a war. It's why President Obama was always careful in Afghanistan in order to prevent mistakes and eventually killing civilians. Same in Iraq. I know that there are always casualties amongst civilians. However, it's a totally different situation if you drop a bomb in the middle of a city. It's not a matter of comparing atrocities. No matter what, there no excuse for them. The reason behind the bombings was to force Japan to surrender, so it may have happened even if Pearl Habour attack had never happened.

No one is minimizing Hiroshima or Nagasaki. But equally important not to over maximize and saying 'millions' died at H and N is wrong.
This is a thread about the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor and it is turning into something else where America is being seen as 'the bad' actor for what happened at Hiroshima. SMH

War is an ugly thing but it has been with humanity for thousands of years. It will continue to be with us until humanity ends, one way or another. As long as someone or some country wants something someone else has or seeks to impose their religious beliefs on another country or simply wants power for its own sake, we will have wars. The world population continues to increase, tensions will continue to increase, wars for whatever reason are inevitable.

I get tired of people acting as if the U.S. were the only country which ever did anything 'wrong'. That was my point in 'comparing atrocities'. It appears to be so easy and politically correct perhaps, to always point the finger at America.

Crimes against humanity are indeed terrible things but there will always be a country or some countries who don't give a rat's *** about what is 'humane'. And they will get away with their actions. What did the Nuremberg trials accomplish? The Tokyo tribunals? The trials in the Hague? Are crimes against humanity fewer? No, in fact, IMO, they are more brutal and violent. Darkness is spreading in our world slowly but surely.

No one is minimizing Hiroshima or Nagasaki. But equally important not to over maximize and saying 'millions' died at H and N is wrong.
Yeah, a few thousand dead people more or less is really not gonna matter. (I understand how this sounds inappropriate- the same way it sounds horrendously inappropriate 'not to over maximize' the horror that happened??)

The US lost their 'innocence' if there ever was any to be lost. I don't ever want to hear US- American outrage over 'nukes' when they are the ones throwing them when the first opportunity presented itself. Others 'collected'- they US dropped them. Hate to tell you- that's the way many in the world see it. To be fair, plenty of US- American citizens are equally horrified- don't want to generalize here.

War is an ugly thing but it has been with humanity for thousands of years. It will continue to be with us until humanity ends, one way or another. ... The world population continues to increase, tensions will continue to increase, wars for whatever reason are inevitable.
Wow, this guy must really irritate the heck out of you, with all that delusional sunflower attitude, Heal the World and "we don't need to have war speech" (Bambi Award, Berlin) peace mongering at a time when his fellow Americans were busy recreating the McCarthy era in their heads.

MKEarthSongTank.jpg

MJEarthSongGun2.jpg

MJEarthSongGun.jpg

MJEarthSong2.jpg

I get tired of people acting as if the U.S. were the only country which ever did anything 'wrong'. That was my point in 'comparing atrocities'. It appears to be so easy and politically correct perhaps, to always point the finger at America. ...
Nuh-uh, I'm also German and there's really a lot of finger pointing to be done in history. I'm sure the Greeks and Romans weren't that popular either at one time- or the Egyptians. The US is in good company. You're just feeling the repercussions for a number of atrocities (aka "foreign policy") committed by the US in the last few years. It'll get better, I'm positive, Rumsfeld and co. are pretty quiet right now- and many people forget fast.

This is a thread about the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor and it is turning into something else where America is being seen as 'the bad' actor for what happened at Hiroshima. SMH...

True, that's off topic, agreed. A new thread on the horrors of "nuking humans" might be entirely appropriate.

What's with "America"- that's a rather large continent. When it comes to war crimes against humanity, I wouldn't want to insult Brazil for example, the nukes clearly will always be the responsibility of the USA. That's an honor no nation would want long term, but it is what it is.

Last I checked it was the US- Americans that dropped those bombs and it is rather unfortunate that most US- American children are still being spoon fed the propaganda that frying countless people with nuclear weapons was not only an act of mercy, but they are also being told that this horrendous act is to be viewed as something "good, because it shortened the war and we had no other choice".
However, this propaganda doesn't work on the "rest" of the world- and it's becoming a very fossil position of yesterday among many US- Americans as well.

An international MJ forum with international participants simply means that international participants do not feel bound by the US Orwellian "code of verbal ethics toward the American military"" -particularly since this type of speech drastically has increased since 9/11- an international forum like this will reflect the international opinions that people seem to have towards the US- for right or for wrong. People on here are from all over the globe- they have no obligation to express themselves more "patriotic" than the conservative fringe of the GOP. Granted, the first reply seemed to be largely one of provocation- but there's no need to reply to a provocation with moral brow beating of "respect the military"- that doesn't fly much anymore.

If I were to post something about the horrors of civilian casualties in the Dresden bombings that targeted civilians- then my point would be very much on- but an international audience would rightly ask with outrage if I somehow forgot the horror that Nazi Germany has wreaked. This is an international forum- so please don't expect people to jump up and put their hand over their heart.

I'm happy though that sometimes rational thought wins over political propaganda- such as the decision to pay reparation to (Japanese) US Citizens who had been rounded up and sent to detention camps and yes, it was a Bush who finally signed a formal apology toward US Citizens who were so mistreated in the wake of this horror- by their own US government.

" On September 27, 1992, the Civil Liberties Act Amendments of 1992, appropriating an additional $400 million to ensure all remaining internees received their $20,000 redress payments, was signed into law by President George H. W. Bush, who also issued another formal apology from the U.S. government."

^^^So I wouldn't give up on humanity quite yet.

Last edited:
hi,
I agree with most parts of your post. It's true that BS don't fly anymore and is a fossil position of yesterday in The States. You're correct, This is an international forum,with people from everywhere,indeed. We all carry different opinions and views - good or bad and everywhere inbetween. :agree:
I have to say..I honestly don't think the poster meant that anyone had to become patriotic nor stand with hand over heart to pledge allegiance. That's how I see it,anyway. I can't speak for someone else though, not exactly.

Edit* I unquoted your original post since by time I posted mine you had finished editing yours. I't completely re-arranged now so it don't make sense to keep your first post quoted :)

Also I Loove that guy in the picture that you posted. :wub:

I'd been wanting to tell you that I like your 'saying' below your username. Edit* Ohh you changed your quote/saying since I posted.

(Quote)
"A soldier dies
A mother cries
The promised child shines in a baby's eyes
All nations sing
Let's harmonize all around the world"
- Michael Jackson

With the L.O.V.E.
:heart:
souldreamer7

Last edited:
Will people ever learn from mistakes made in history?
Will they ever understand killing is never a solution?

Keep the faith
"I Know That Keepin' The Faith
Means Never Givin' Up On Love"

I have no blinders on when it comes to the actions of my country. Bad things and good things have been done by governments since the beginning. But they were a product of their times. For whatever reason that is the way it is. There was no excuse for the fire bombing of Dresden or the Blitz of London or extermination of Jews or carpet bombing or napalm or rape or torture or any of the horrors of any war perpetrated by any country.
But humanity just never seems to learn. Why is that?

Yes this is an international forum. How could I forget? I sure don't expect anyone to fall down in awe of any country but I am proud of my country and there it is. With all of its faults, with all of its history, I still believe it is a great country. At least for the time being.
But the hostility toward the US that I perceive makes me feel extremely uncomfortable being here.
Wow, this guy must really irritate the heck out of you, with all that delusional sunflower attitude, Heal the World and "we don't need to have war speech" (Bambi Award, Berlin) peace mongering at a time when his fellow Americans were busy recreating the McCarthy era in their heads.

Michael would be proud of the tolerance, understanding and the 'before you judge me, try hard to love me' attitude displayed.
This is the sort of comment that drives people away. Congratulations, you have succeeded brilliantly.

Back