70 years married!

cinzia

Proud Member
I wanted to share a special story that appeared in our local paper today. ( Paraphrased and translated)

Married for seventy years!

Many cars were parked around the little village church on Easter Sunday. The church was filled to capacity and even overflowing. On this day, 88 year old Hilda Herczeg and 90 year old Joseph Gaal were sitting in the beautiful baroque church in armchairs placed near the altar.
Married for 70 years, this anniversary was celebrated by their many relatives and friends, first in God's house, then at a local restaurant.
Many had tears in their eyes near the end of the Mass when the priest handed Joseph and Hilda Pope Benedict's blessing of their lives and marriage.

They were married in 1941. She was 18, he was 20. They grew up in the same small village and worked together on the nearby estate of a noble family.
Joseph served in the war, was sent to the Russian front on the river Don. He was injured and spent time in hospital. Eventually he was taken to France as a U.S. prisoner. Hilda was at home pregnant with their first child. She would be 1 1 /2 years old before he saw her for the first time.

- I'm proud of my family - says Joe - We can not give enough praise to God that way.We have built a house for our daughter, and grandchildren... God has provided. My leg is lame, but it is still good. -

70 years together through thick, thin. What kept them together? In their opinion, what is the secret to a good marriage? Chose well and love to live. And if you were 20 again and could chose anyone? Joe reached over and took Hilda's hand in his.

What was their secret that linked them through seven decades?

- If you are asking for a word, they say, it is love.
--------------------------------------------------------
image.aspx

aww..thank you so much for sharing....that is so sweet..its NOT easy being married to someone for so many years...but then again they know each other better than anyone else on the plant.

Oops! forgot to say where they live! In a very small village in western Hungary...And I think they look pretty good for 88 and 90!

:eek:

Beautiful story! :heart: Thanks for sharing! ;)

But unfortunately, today, marriages do not last as long. The world has changed and is very modern. The love is something disposable. Some people change their partner, such as changing clothes. Sad. *big sigh*

:eek:

Beautiful story! :heart: Thanks for sharing! ;)

But unfortunately, today, marriages do not last as long. The world has changed and is very modern. The love is something disposable. Some people change their partner, such as changing clothes. Sad. *big sigh*

Agreed. Love ain't what it used to be.

Such a sweet story. My Granparents were married for 72 years before Grandfather passed away. Bless them.

Wow, that's so incredible...I can't imagine anybody getting married these days who could ever remain married for so long. The world sure has changed alot...

aw that's beautiful. i hope it happeneds the same for me

this is so nice. I am sure the marriage had its ups and downs but I think that, at the end of the day, they realized why they loved each other in the first place - and that's what counts.

my heart aches when I see marriages break up. it's so nice to grow old and still have someone's hand to hold in life:(

this is so nice. I am sure the marriage had its ups and downs but I think that, at the end of the day, they realized why they loved each other in the first place - and that's what counts.

:girl_sigh: :heart:

my heart aches when I see marriages break up. it's so nice to grow old and still have someone's hand to hold in life:(

Me too. :(

Back