53 dead in bombing at Marriott Hotel in Islamabad

L.J

Proud Member
53 dead in bombing at Marriott Hotel in Islamabad

From correspondents in Islamabad
September 21, 2008 06:23pm

MASKED rescuers carrying stretchers today tried to enter the smouldering ruins of Islamabad's Marriott Hotel to search for bodies and possible survivors from a huge suicide bomb attack.

The Czech ambassador to Pakistan, Ivo Zdarek, is among 53 people confirmed to have been killed in the Saturday evening bombing.

"The Czech ambassador is among them. He has been identified," Pakistani Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani said.

Along with deaths, 200 people were injured when a suicide bomber detonated a truck packed with explosives at a security barrier outside the main entrance of the hotel just as it was full of guests breaking the Ramadan fast last night.

Military firefighters in blue helmets and khaki outfits could be seen today gingerly entering the 300-room hotel, but they were later forced to retreat because the structure was deemed too unstable.

Other teams in orange chemical protection suits managed to probe deeper into the building, where it was feared many guests were trapped by a huge inferno triggered by Saturday night's bombing.

Firefighters worked through the night to try to dampen the blaze which totally destroyed the six-story building, but so far they have only been able to enter parts of the lobby and restaurants on the ground floor.

Hundreds of armed police and soldiers ringed the scene, while army bulldozers cleared rubble from nearby streets.

Many of the known casualties so far were security guards and other people standing outside the hotel entrance or in the lobby.

Others were people seen jumping from the upper floors of the hotel.

Continued.....

This is just horrible :no:

0,,6260849,00.jpg

Incredible force ... the huge crater left by the truck blast / AFP

Images here

it is very sad yes.

My prayers and thoughts go out for the victims and their families!

Any particular reason why this hotel was chosen for the attack?

I mean it's not even clear to me who attacked whom in this incident nor why?
Is this a hotel for mainly western or better non muslim guests?

No sadly it's simply aimed at the pakistani government by terroists, they targetted one of the biggest and best hotels in the country. :no:

Any particular reason why this hotel was chosen for the attack?

its been confirmed that the prime minsiter/president and goverment big wigs were due to be at this hotel but the venue got changed at the last minute. also the fact alot of westerners and rich pakistanis hang out there.

seems that a typical muslim fundamentalist group did it

I was so sad when I heard this :no: Such a shame that such acts still happen and people fail to see the damage they cause :(

May the victims rest in peace

Back