5 Years since Hold My Hand was leaked!

Frankyboy5

Proud Member
It may be June 29 here and other parts of the world, but I'll post this now.

June 30 marks 5 years since Hold My Hand leaked. Being a fan for less than a year from that day, it was one of the only times I got a taste of the joy of new music from Michael (other than Thriller 25, which was nothing compared to this). Just under a year later, that first line, "this life don't last forever", came to haunt me, as this was the last brand new song we heard during his lifetime.

Now that I look back, that leak gives me mixed feelings. The song was originally going to be on Akon's album first but the leak cancelled it. Akon said a single release and music video was planned, but it's obvious that the leak cancelled any of these plans. I believe it caused a delay to Michael bringing any newer music before he left us, all too soon :(

I wish i could say i liked it, but for me it was a very weak track for MJ, i liked the meaning behind the track and the lyrics were nice, but musically it wasn't doing a lot for me at all. Still it was nice that Michael was making new music and enjoying it, also akon isn't the strongest singer i was always a bit uncomfortable with that partnership as i thought he was way too weak of an artist to be working with Michael. Still, doesn't time fly, 5 years, wow!

great song, although i wish it wasnt leaked. Michael's artistry is so rare that it should be preserved without the means of illegal downloads.

I remember when it originally leaked, I only listened to it once and that was it, since MJ only sang that one verse. After MJ passed on, I decided to put it on my iPod for the heck of it, only to realize a few months later that an updated version was going to be released on the "Michael" album. After endlessly listening to the newer version until the rest of the album was released, I became more appreciative of the song in general. It's not my favorite from the posthumous album, but I still like it a lot. :)

Funny how it's Akon's song but I don't like Akon on it (don't fancy him in general), give me Michael's solo version of this any day.

well I understand how many fans thought it fell short because it only had one full verse of Michael, but this was probably the first time (correct me if I'm wrong) we heard Michael sing a brand new song post-trial (not counting WBSS 2008 or pre-trial recordings like Blue Gangsta). It would also turn out to be the last time while he was alive. With Thriller 25 and then the HMH leak, I really thought Michael would make his comeback that year, but like I said before I think the leak just made it worse. I think a lot of people, including me, were too overjoyed to realize how devastated Michael and everyone else involved were at this leak.

Akon is a hugely successful record producer and artist in his genre. No wonder Michael wanted to work with him! I like Akon's music and his singing voice is certainly unique in a tasteful way. It's a shame that it was leaked. I deplore the leaking of unfinished songs on purpose. He is an MJ fan & defender which is very rare in a lot of popular artists of this generation. Akon was the platform for Michael to bridge a gap that had formed since pre-trial date.

Back