5 Jun08...

Rasta Pasta

Proud Member

MJ News in review 5 Jun 08

Don't Forget The Lyrics

Farah Farouque, reviewer
June 5, 2008

For this cultural gift give thanks to the karaoke-minded gurus over at Fox who've invented this hyperventilating music show.
Don_t_Forget_The_Lyrics1_080522031549843_wideweb__300x375.jpg

Don't Forget The Lyrics.

"ABC, it's easy as 1 2 3, as simple as do re mi . . . " Who would have thought? Michael Jackson's repertoire is back in prime time. For this cultural gift give thanks to the karaoke-minded gurus over at Fox who've invented this hyperventilating music show in which we, the people (well, people plonked somewhere in the US), get to strut their windpipes on television.

The effect, while shlocky, is wonderfully entertaining for a critic who was shamefully kicked out of her school choir on account of a habit for lip-syncing. While few would buy the claim that the lives of people who front this show - and exchange their lyricism for hard cash - will change their lives immeasurably, this format is fun for shy souls who like to warble in the shower as much as braver folk who hit the karaoke scene without liquid refreshment.

Usually adults appear on the show, and they can (mostly) hold a tune, too. Tonight, however, we have a treat worthy of Jackson before he turned Bad. Yes, it's the children's hour, and somehow the talent co-ordinator sourced one of the most precocious 11-year-olds to ever grace the small screen. He's kind of cute, if you like your pre-teens to be all singing' and dancin' but what makes contestant Shamari Berkley stand out is his preternatural ability to recall a songbook as far back as the 1950s. If you want to bask nostalgically in sounds of the Hokey-Pokey - yes you, greatgrandmas and greatgrandpas out there - this may be the show for you. For me, though, it's licence to channel my long-dormant inner Milli Vanilli.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tv-reviews/dont-forget-the-lyrics/2008/06/05/1212258983835.html

Mentionings.............

[SIZE=-2]New York Daily News[/SIZE]

Jackson Surprises 'View' Host Sherri Shepherd
[SIZE=-1]San Francisco Chronicle, USA - 17 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Aside from Michael (Jackson), you are my second favorite, girl." Jackson will open her Rock Witchu tour in Vancouver, British Columbia, September 7.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Be-everywhere Mathison gets a 'Place' of his own [SIZE=-1]New York Daily News[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 5 news articles »[/SIZE]

Day 132: What the media don't show about Michael Jackson the business man

Last edited:
Rasta,

What impact will the following have for Michael?

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.7065/title.dx-clusive-steve-rifkind-to-leave-universal-and-take-akon-with-him

DX-clusive: Steve Rifkind To Leave Universal And Take Akon With Him?
June 5th, 2008 | Author: Jake PaineSources close to SRC Records CEO Steve Rifkind confirmed to HipHopDX this morning that the Loud Records founder and seasoned record industry veteran is threatening to take SRC Records and its roster of artists off of the parent company and distributor Universal within the next few days.
The potential move is a response from soured renegotiating between Rifkind's flagship artist Akon and Universal. Both Trouble and Konvicted have surpassed platinum numbers for the label, as well as Akon's extensive production and feature work, which has included singles for Young Jeezy, Michael Jackson and Gwen Stefani.
If the move does go down, it will affect the contracts of artists like David Banner and Tami Chynn as well. Pharoahe Monch and Wu-Tang Clan are also released albums for SRC last year as well. The source said that if the move is made, Rifkind anticipates a massive bidding war for the label, its globally established artists, as well as its talented new acts.
Earlier this week, the Loud.com [click to read] winner Tha Crow was announced, and thus awarded $100,000 and a recording contract. This officially makes the Los Angeles artist the newest member of the SRC family.
DX will keep you posted on the outcome of negotiations between Akon, Rifkind and Universal.

Last edited:
Sounds like this is a "label" problem not a publishing problem. As far as I know, Akon has a songwriting deal with Famous Music (which is now a part of Sony/ATV). I don't think MJ will be effected at all.

Where you at Rasta? LOL!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/moslive/article-1024142/Yes-look-barking-mad--Yes-theyre-cra-a-zy-Its-Gnarls-Barkley.html

Yes, they look barking mad ..Yes, they're cra-a-a-zy: It's Gnarls Barkley

Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse gave us the biggest-selling single of 2006 - and their new album is at the top again...

By Angus Batey Last updated at 4:25 PM on 05th June 2008

CEE-LO:
Without music I'd be dead.

I spent my early years as an ominous figure in the shadows. I guess I got comfortable there. I liked being an outcast and an outlaw, working as muscle for whatever crew I was running with at the time. Looking back, I didn't have a sensible bone in my whole body. I was living proof that an idle mind is the devil's workshop. It was music that turned me around, gave me real purpose. Music saved my life, simple as that. Without music I'd be infamous now rather than famous. I thought I'd grow up to become a hitman. Now I'm a man with hits. I'd say it turned out for the best.

I burned down my family home.
We'd just moved into this place in Atlanta, but the heating wasn't working. I was sprinkling gasoline on a fire to keep warm, and the fire jumped up through the nozzle. I panicked, threw the whole gas can into the fire and it burned up a side of a wall. It sounds like an accident, right? Well, it started off as an accident. Then I realised I was enjoying it way more than I should have been.

I gave up my anonymity a long time ago.
There's no getting it back. Everyone knows me in Atlanta, where I spend most of my time. It's a tight community and I've done my share of social work and campaigning. I'm 'Lo' to everyone there. But I make sure that the shock of seeing me around is very minimal. I still pump my own gas, still pick up my own prescriptions, still do my ow n grocery shopping. Maybe it's cool that I'm still able to, or maybe I'm just not as big a star as I think I am. Because if you get too big, you can't do any of that – and rightfully so! If I see Michael Jackson in the grocery store, I'm gonna bother him myself! But nobody bothers me.

Rasta,

What impact will the following have for Michael?

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/...ind-to-leave-universal-and-take-akon-with-him

DX-clusive: Steve Rifkind To Leave Universal And Take Akon With Him?
June 5th, 2008 | Author: Jake PaineSources close to SRC Records CEO Steve Rifkind confirmed to HipHopDX this morning that the Loud Records founder and seasoned record industry veteran is threatening to take SRC Records and its roster of artists off of the parent company and distributor Universal within the next few days.
The potential move is a response from soured renegotiating between Rifkind's flagship artist Akon and Universal. Both Trouble and Konvicted have surpassed platinum numbers for the label, as well as Akon's extensive production and feature work, which has included singles for Young Jeezy, Michael Jackson and Gwen Stefani.
If the move does go down, it will affect the contracts of artists like David Banner and Tami Chynn as well. Pharoahe Monch and Wu-Tang Clan are also released albums for SRC last year as well. The source said that if the move is made, Rifkind anticipates a massive bidding war for the label, its globally established artists, as well as its talented new acts.
Earlier this week, the Loud.com [click to read] winner Tha Crow was announced, and thus awarded $100,000 and a recording contract. This officially makes the Los Angeles artist the newest member of the SRC family.
DX will keep you posted on the outcome of negotiations between Akon, Rifkind and Universal.

I don't think this will affect Michael .. because Sony/ATV will still own the publishing rights to AKon songs regardless...

I don't think this will affect Michael .. because Sony/ATV will still own the publishing rights to AKon songs regardless...

Thanks. The music industry is one thing I will never get my head around I guess. I am glad there are people here always will to explain. :flowers:

I gave up my anonymity a long time ago.
There's no getting it back. Everyone knows me in Atlanta, where I spend most of my time. It's a tight community and I've done my share of social work and campaigning. I'm 'Lo' to everyone there. But I make sure that the shock of seeing me around is very minimal. I still pump my own gas, still pick up my own prescriptions, still do my ow n grocery shopping. Maybe it's cool that I'm still able to, or maybe I'm just not as big a star as I think I am. Because if you get too big, you can't do any of that – and rightfully so! If I see Michael Jackson in the grocery store, I'm gonna bother him myself! But nobody bothers me.

That's so cute and it never fails, when you are looking for an example of a BIG star, the first name that comes to mind is MICHAEL JACKSON.

The Akon thing, imo, could have an effect on Michael for one reason. Universal and Sony/BMG are competitors. So label-wise Universal may have some say in who Akon collaborates with and on whose album his material can appear on and vice-versa. If I'm not mistaken, Akon did say some "legal" issues were in the way of the song he wanted to do with MJ...whether that be Hold My Hand or some other song. MAYBE, Universal has been giving Akon static about this sort of thing and making negotiations hard for him or the people he's working with, for example, MJ. By Akon leaving Universal, he no longer needs their permission as far as obtaining rights for him to appear on someone else's album or vice-versa in regards to distribution. That's the only thing that comes to mind. Akon gets his freedom from that sort of control.

Thanks to all for the news and mentionings. :flowers:

The Akon thing, imo, could have an effect on Michael for one reason. Universal and Sony/BMG are competitors. So label-wise Universal may have some say in who Akon collaborates with and on whose album his material can appear on and vice-versa. If I'm not mistaken, Akon did say some "legal" issues were in the way of the song he wanted to do with MJ...whether that be Hold My Hand or some other song. MAYBE, Universal has been giving Akon static about this sort of thing and making negotiations hard for him or the people he's working with, for example, MJ. By Akon leaving Universal, he no longer needs their permission as far as obtaining rights for him to appear on someone else's album or vice-versa in regards to distribution. That's the only thing that comes to mind. Akon gets his freedom from that sort of control.

Wow. I was wondering about just that but didn't trust my memory about who owned what. I always get confused about the multiple ways music is held or people have control over artists and their music. I had been wondering all along about MJ working with Akon and how they clear those hurdles. The hold on the single because of contractual issues kept we wondering as well. Noone ever mentions it anymore and yet we were given a big clue there. Thank you for bringing it up and expaining.

Thanks for the news!

I hated that girl for saying to Janet "You're my second favorite, Michael is first!" That was just rude! LOL!

Thanks for the news!

I hated that girl for saying to Janet "You're my second favorite, Michael is first!" That was just rude! LOL!

well Janet told Sherri, it was sweet

just wanted to say thanks again because I know u guys spend a lot of time and energy with it everyday..

THANK YOU..

Thanks for the news!

no it was'nt:rofl::cheeky:

she was just tellin' it like it is:clapping:

http://www.lvrj.com/news/19558844.html

NORM: Jackson may still be eyeing Vegas deal

Michael Jackson's future was probably part of the dinner conversation Tuesday when he met with Thomas Barrack Jr., the man who rescued the singer's Neverland Ranch from public auction.

Barrack, chairman and CEO of Colony Capital LLC, dined with Jackson in the Las Vegas Hilton's Verona Sky Villa.

Barrack, a real estate magnate, recently paid $23.5 million for the 2,700-acre Neverland property. Jackson released a statement at the time indicating he was working with Barrack, who is a partner with Colony Resorts LVH Acquisitions LLC.

Jackson had defaulted on loan payments on the Santa Barbara County property.

Jackson, who recently met with Donald Trump associates at Trump International Hotel & Tower, has been scouting for a Vegas deal since arriving in late 2006 [TSCM Note: This last sentence has never once been confirmed by Michael Jackson's camp; it remains entirely media speculation].

mmmmmmmmmm

I love you TSMC! You're always keeping us up to date with the latest.

Sound very interesting!

No it wasn't:rofl::cheeky:

She was just tellin' it like it is:clapping:
Yeah it was I mean that's kinda gotta sting a little to give someone so much props and then say they like someone else better than you so some things are best to be kept to yourself.

Yeah it was I mean that's kinda gotta sting a little to give someone so much props and then say they like someone else better than you so some things are best to be kept to yourself.

i agree. that didnt sound very good to me either. she coulda just said "ur one of my top faves" or sth.

Barrack, a real estate magnate, recently paid $23.5 million for the 2,700-acre Neverland property

you see how the media work. impling mj sold the ranch when thats total B.S.anyway intresting news thanks TSCM.somethings gonna happen one way or the other or something has been agreed apon. intresting knowing that they are out together

you see how the media work. impling mj sold the ranch when thats total B.S.anyway intresting news thanks TSCM.somethings gonna happen one way or the other or something has been agreed apon. intresting knowing that they are out together

Ha ha. How many people have dinner with their bankers? I wonder who paid.

my comments were about the publishing ownership of Akons songs under Famous music which is now owned by Sony/ATV....

the current issue that Akon has with his label doesn't affect that Publishing ownership... of Michael and Sony...

Back