40 years later, The Beatles still have what it takes: Driving digital music sales to new highs:

billyworld99

Proud Member
'Dramatic' Growth in Digital Music Sales Due to The Beatles on iTunes? From Beatles tweets

May 12, 2011 at 10:24 am PDT by Eric Slivka

Media research firm Nielsen yesterday revealed that overall music sales in the United States are up 1.6% year-over-year so far in 2011, driven in large part by a 12.4% surge in digital music sales that appears to coincide with the debut of The Beatles on iTunes last November.
While physical albums saw a decline in year-over-year sales from the same period in 2010, digital album and track purchases went up 16.8 percent and 9.6 percent, respectively. Digital retailers received more than half of all music transactions, propelling a 12.4 percent growth in sales over last year.

Catalog album sales are up 5.4 percent in 2011, thanks in part to a long-awaited 2010 deal allowing digital distribution of The Beatles albums for the first time.
As noted by All Things Digital, however, it seems hard to believe that The Beatles are responsible for the continued bump in digital sales still being seen six months after the group's iTunes debut. Regardless, music executives are undoubtedly happy that music sales are at least holding steady after what has been an extended decline in overall sales and a flattening out of digital sales, although it will obviously take some time to determine if this is a true shift in sales momentum or simply a brief respite.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/12...tal-music-sales-due-to-the-beatles-on-itunes/

Yeah, i don't believe it.But the music business always finds a way to advertise them and keep them up there.

yes, the whole of itunes was covered in them, even number 1 chart records you had to search for, they got like 2 albums in the uk top ten, and held it for like a week. They did nothing close to what they were predicted to. I'm sick of them being overexagerated.

Guys, thats only a media agenda by their recording company.

The headline is so... "spectacular", but reality is far different.

Why dont they (reporters) write the real numbers of albums sales, not only the percentages of growth...

It is all smoke and mirrors.

The need to perpetuate the myth of the Beatles' dominance is now becoming comical.

Jesus, what's with all the Beatles hate? Love them or hate them, they are a big part of popular music and culture and that'll never change. Just as big as Michael, if not bigger.

^^ Actually i don't think anyone here "hates" the Beatles. Did any of us say something about their music,their legacy, that they suck or something to that effect? We just question this article and other like this that without any proof they keep saying that the Beatles dominate everything.We question that, not their greatness as a band.
By the way, i don't know if the drawings on that site are yours but they are really nice.

Last edited:
To be be brutally honest............

The Beatles are an acquired taste...........you either get it or you don't!!!!

Having said that, their appeal is that their music is very real and raw (as opposed to the rubbish lyrics and fake electro rubbish of Gaga)!!!!

I also think that John Lennon is a genius writer and people will always buy his music (even is solo work)!!!!

Know MJ and many worship them, not in on the party. Agree with the mega music artist who say it is elevator music...running for cover.

Back