30 Years Of Music Industry Change

billyworld99

Proud Member
Each pie shows the revenue contribution from various formats, 1980-2010, based on RIAA revenue figures. If you want to see it again, just wait a few seconds for the animation to start over.

30years.gif

The following shipment figures are from the RIAA, dating back to 1973. The first shows album unit sales across four formats: 8-tracks, vinyl, CDs, and digital albums. The second shows singles across four formats: CD-singles, cassette singles (or 'cassingles'), vinyl singles, and digital singles. US specific.

I. Albums.
albumsales2010

II. Singles.
singlesales2010

Great info :D
Some people even say that cassettes sound better than digital formats :p
Maybe in the future digital formats will sound equally as good as CD's and Vinyls.
Until that happens I'll buy physical formats from acts I really like.

That's pretty cool, but what about the total unit sales (albums + singles).........

That'll tell us if the music industry is in a good place right now......

Looking at the sales of single downloads............It must eventually peak and then it might drop, like what happened to the other formats.........

^Of course they'll find something else, eventually. CDs pretty much monopolized music format until the mid-2000s according to the pie chart posted above. Perhaps in ten years, we'll download things to a little chip inside our brains, thus eliminating the need for a computer altogether! :p

Back