30 Apr08: MJ news and mentionings

Rasta Pasta

Proud Member
MJ News in review 30 Apr 08

.............OK, well more like a lot of Mentionings..

Michael Jackson clan to attend fan's party

Last Updated: 12:01am BST 30/04/2008

A teenage Michael Jackson fan is organising a party to welcome the pop superstar's family to their new UK home and members of the musical clan are expected to attend.

bbjackson30.jpg
Michael and Tito Jackson in 2004
Michael's older brother Tito, 54, said they would be thrilled to attend the party.

He said: "I can confirm that myself and some other Jackson family members will be in attendance at this event. We are all very much looking forward to spending time in North Devon. I can't wait to come back to Barnstaple."

The singer spoke as George Warren, 18, booked a ballroom at the Durrant House Hotel, Northam, to host the charity fund-raiser.

A second-year media student at North Devon College, he admitted that the party was the biggest thing he had ever tried to organise.

Tickets are available from www.mjjparty.com and are priced between £10 and £20.

Warren said: "We will be holding a raffle of Jackson's records and memorabilia on the night and any profits from the event will go to the North Devon Hospice."

The Jacksons are expected to arrive in Appledore and begin weeks of filming for a Channel 4 TV special on May 18, with the party set for June 8.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/04/30/bbjackson30.xml

[/b]

Last edited:
Day 125:
What the media don't show about Michael Jackson the business man....
Sony/ATV’s “Musical Notes” #19 - Nile Rodgers & Bernard Edwards!

resize_image.php

Sony/ATV’s "Musical Notes" #19
A fortnightly newsletter highlighting some of the many classic songs in the Sony/ATV Music Publishing catalog.

From Alan Warner, Creative Consultant

The very first rap hit was "Rapper’s Delight" – by The Sugarhill Gang.

Released on a 12" vinyl single in December '79, "Rapper’s Delight" borrowed the hypnotic bass line from "Good Times": the second single by disco group Chic to top Billboard’s Hot 100 chart. Chic had been formed by the hit songwriting/production team of Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards.

Sony/ATV owns the majority of Nile’s catalog and the attached newsletter breaks out his many songs which have charted over the years.

STORIES BEHIND CLASSIC SONY/ATV SONGS 3:

GOOD TIMES (Nile Rodgers/Bernard Edwards)
by CHIC

First off, “Good Times” was the funkiest of all disco hits. Not only that, but its bass line and chords were utilized in “Rapper’s Delight”, the groundbreaking 1979 record by The Sugarhill Gang which single-handedly started Rap!

“Good Times” was just one of a string of outstanding compositions by guitarist Nile Rodgers and bass player Bernard Edwards…songs which filled dance-floors around the world during the 70’s and early 80’s.

Nile and Bernard led their own group Chic with million-selling hits such as DANCE DANCE DANCE, I WANT YOUR LOVE and their two Billboard #1 smashes LE FREAK and the aforementioned GOOD TIMES. Check thru the songlist below and you’ll see other artists for whom they successfully wrote and produced including Sister Sledge, Diana Ross and Debbie Harry plus original Chic member Norma Jean (Wright) who went solo in ’78.

In later years, Nile Rodgers collaborated with David Bowie, Duran Duran and Madonna and has played guitar on tracks by such artists as Seal and Joss Stone but it is his cachet of memorable songs written with his former partner, the late Bernard Edwards, that we celebrate here.

The following compositions are by Nile Rodgers & Bernard Edwards except where otherwise noted:

BACKFIRED (R/E)
By Debbie Harry (Chrysalis/EMI: 1981) US #43 Pop, 71 R&B, #29 Dance, UK #32

CHIC MYSTIQUE (Nile Rodgers/Bernard Edwards/Princesa)
By Chic (Warner Bros/WMG: 1992) US #48 R&B, #1 Dance, UK #48

DANCE, DANCE, DANCE (YOWSAH, YOWSAH, YOWSAH)(Nile Rodgers/Bernard Edwards/Kenny Lehman)
By Chic (Atlantic/WMG: 1978) US #6 R&B, #6 Pop, #1 Dance, UK #6

EVERYBODY DANCE (R/E)
By Chic (Atlantic/WMG: 1978) US #12 R&B, #38 Pop, UK #9
Other versions incl: Sister Sledge (Cotillion/WMG), RuPaul (Rhino/WMG)

GOOD TIMES (R/E)
By Chic (Atlantic/WMG: 1979) US #1 R&B, #1 Pop, #3 Dance, UK #5

GOT TO LOVE SOMEBODY (R/E)
By Sister Sledge (Cotillion/WMG: 1980) US #6 R&B, #64 Pop, #34 Dance, UK #34

HANGIN’ (R/E)
By Chic (Atlantic/WMG: 1982) US #48 R&B, UK #64 (in ’83)

HE’S THE GREATEST DANCER (R/E)
By Sister Sledge (Cotillion/WMG: 1979) US #1 R&B, #9 Pop, #1 Dance, UK #6
Other versions incl: Chic (Atlantic/WMG), Danni Minogue (AATW)

HIGH SOCIETY (R/E)
By Norma Jean (Bearsville: 1980) US #19 R&B

I WANT YOUR LOVE (R/E)
By Chic (Atlantic/WMG: 1979) US #5 R&B, #7 Pop, UK #4
By Roger Sanchez Presents Twilight (Narcotic: 1998) US #5 Dance, UK #31 (in ’99)
Other versions incl: Sister Sledge (Cotillion/WMG), Jody Watley (Gut), Spectrum (Intersound), Norma White (Soul Jazz)

I’M COMING OUT (R/E)
By Diana Ross (Motown/Universal: 1980) US #6 R&B, #5 Pop, #1 Dance, UK #13

LE FREAK (R/E)
By Chic (Atlantic/WMG: 1978) US #1 R&B, #1 Pop, #1 Dance, UK #7

LET’S GO ON VACATION (R/E)
By Sister Sledge (Cotillion/WMG: 1980) US #63 R&B

LOST IN MUSIC (R/E)
By Sister Sledge (Cotillion/WMG: 1979) US #35 R&B, UK #17
By Sister Sledge (Cotillion/WMG: 1984 remix) UK #4
By Sister Sledge (Atlantic/WMG: 1993 2nd remix) UK #14

MY FEET KEEP DANCING (R/E)
By Chic (Atlantic/WMG: 1980) US #42 R&B, UK #21

MY FORBIDDEN LOVER (R/E)
By Chic (Atlantic/WMG: 1979) US #33 R&B, #43 Pop, UK #15

MY OLD PIANO (R/E)
By Diana Ross (Motown/Universal: 1980) UK #5

RAPPER’S DELIGHT (R/E)
By The Sugarhill Gang (Sugar Hill: 1979) US #4 R&B, #36 Pop (in ’80)
By Def Squad (Erick Sermon, Keith Murray & Redman) (Priority: 1998) US #22 Album cut

REACH YOUR PEAK (R/E)
By Sister Sledge (Cotillion/WMG: 1980) US #21 R&B

REAL PEOPLE (R/E)
By Chic (Atlantic/WMG: 1980) US #51 R&B, #79 Pop, #29 Dance

REBELS ARE WE (R/E)
By Chic (Atlantic/WMG: 1980) US #8 R&B, #61 Pop

SATURDAY (Nile Rodgers/Bernard Edwards/Robert Cotter)
By Norma Jean Wright (Bearsville: 1978) US #15 R&B
By East 57th Street Featuring Donna Allen (AM PM: 1997) UK #29
By Joey Negro Featuring Taka Boom (Yola: 2000) UK #41

SOUP FOR ONE (R/E)
By Chic (Mirage: 1982) US #14 R&B, #80 Pop

SPACER (R/E)
By Sheila & B. Devotion (Carrere: 1980) US #28 R&B, 44 Dance, UK #18 (in ‘79)
(This solo artist is known simply as Sheila in her native France)

STAGE FRIGHT (R/E)
By Chic (Atlantic/WMG: 1982) US #34 R&B

THINKING OF YOU (R/E)
By Sister Sledge (Cotillion/WMG: 1984) UK #11
By Sister Sledge (Atlantic/WMG: 1993 remix) UK #17

TICK TOCK (Nile Rodgers/Jimmy Vaughan/Jerry Williams)
By The Vaughan Brothers (aka Stevie Ray & Jimmie Vaughan)
(Epic Associated/Sony BMG: 1990) US #65 Pop

UPSIDE DOWN (R/E)
By Diana Ross (Motown/Universal: 1980) US #1 R&B, #1 Pop, #1 Dance, UK #2
Other versions incl: Tom Jones & Dusty Springfield

WE ARE FAMILY (R/E)
By Sister Sledge (Cotillion/WMG: 1979) US #1 R&B, #2 Pop, #1 Dance, UK #8
By Sister Sledge (Cotillion/WMG: 1984 remix) UK #33
By Sister Sledge (Atlantic/WMG: 1993 2nd remix) UK #5
Other versions incl: Jump5 (Sparrow/EMI), Jordan Pruitt (Hollywood), Kidz Bop Kids (Razor & Tie)

WHY (R/E)
By Carly Simon (Mirage: 1982) US #74 Pop, UK #10
By Carly Simon (Mirage: 1989 reissue) UK #56

YOUR LOVE (R/E)
By Chic (Warner Bros/WMG: 1992) US #3 Dance

YOUR LOVE IS GOOD (R/E)
By Sheila B. Devotion (Carrere: 1980) US #75 R&B

Medleys of Chic recordings included:

JACK LE FREAK (feat: LE FREAK, I WANT YOUR LOVE and CHIC CHEER)
By Chic (Atlantic/WMG: 1987) UK #19, US #15 Dance (in ’88)

MEGACHIC (feat: LE FREAK, EVERYBODY DANCE, GOOD TIMES And I WANT YOUR LOVE)
By Chic (East West/WMG: 1990) UK #58

Samples:

HOTEL
By Cassidy Featuring R. Kelly (J/Sony BMG: 2004) US #6 R&B, #4 Pop, UK #3
Sampled RAPPER’S DELIGHT

TRIPLE TROUBLE
By The Beastie Boys (Capitol/EMI: 2004) on their album “To The 5 Boroughs”
Sampled RAPPER’S DELIGHT

In addition to “Rapper’s Delight” by The Sugarhill Gang, here are some additional records in which Rodgers/Edwards compositions have been sampled:

CRYING AT THE DISCOTHEQUE
By Alcazar (Arista/Sony BMG: 2001) UK #13
Sampled SPACER

GETTING’ JIGGY WIT IT
By Will Smith (Columbia/Sony BMG: 1998) US #6 R&B
Sampled HE’S THE GREATEST DANCER

LADY (HEAR ME TONIGHT)
By Modjo (MCA/Sony BMG: 2001) US #1 Dance, UK #1 (in 2000)
Sampled SOUP FOR ONE

MO MONEY MO PROBLEMS
By The Notorious B.I.G. (Bad Boy/WMG: 2002) US #52 R&B
Sampled I’M COMING OUT

*Modjo is a French vocal duo who sampled “Spacer” by French diva Sheila

**Alcazar is a Swedish dance-pop trio

Iconic Vocal Group Of Yesteryear

The Mills Brothers:

One of the most popular and longest surviving vocal groups, The Mills Brothers were formed in the late 1920’s and enjoyed best-selling records in the 30’s, 40’s & 50’s and they even had a revival success in the 1960’s! They were originally billed as “Four Boys And A Guitar” thereby emphasizing that the only actual instrument you’d hear would be a guitar because the brass sounds on their early records were provided by the Brothers themselves whose vocal accomplishments included imitating trumpets, trombones and other orchestral instruments! In later years, the personnel changed and when they recorded for Dot, they had become a trio but their vocal magic was still intact.

Following are six Sony/ATV songs which The Mills Brothers
recorded at different times in their career:

BLUE HAWAII (Robin/Rainger)
By The Mills Brothers (Dot/Universal: 1961)

CARAVAN (Ellington/Tizol/Mills)
By The Mills Brothers (Decca/Universal: 1938)

COLD COLD HEART (Williams)
By The Mills Brothers (Dot/Universal: 1963)

IT DON’T MEAN A THING (IF IT AIN’T GOT THAT SWING)
(Ellington/Mills)
By The Mills Brothers (Brunswick/Sony BMG: 1932)

MOON RIVER (Mercer/Mancini)
By The Mills Brothers (Dot/Universal: 1965)

SOLITUDE (Ellington/DeLange/Mills)
By The Mills Brothers (Dot/Universal: 1959)

Click here for Asscoiated Playlist.

US chart positions courtesy of Joel Whitburn & Billboard Magazine

http://www.sonyatv.com/en-uk/index.php/news/611

Last edited:
Thanks for posting.

I have no comment on the fan party article.

Hmmm, that sure looks more like Randy than Tito to me in that picture, but what do I know.:cheeky:

Thanks for the news, Rasta.

^ It's Randy.

Thanks for the news...I'm a bit skeptical about this party thing, is it really happening?

thnks for the news as for the party i m not sure if this is real or again fake so many pple have claimed in the past yrs that mj or his siblins would atend and fans spend their last money going and then again nothing....so i have to see that happen first

I believe Tito will be there.. He goes there ALL the time.. working on that 'Jackson family get away house' thing..

he did not say WHO.. it could easily be him and his kids or something...

To my knowlwdge, Tito has only been down there 2 or 3 times. There was always a report when he goes down there. Jermaine went down there once. There was a report that Matt was going to bring Michael down there. That I think was rather presumptuous. It never happened. I don't believe MJ will be attending any fan party in Devon. It hasn't stopped them using his name. I don't know if MJ doesn't get angry sometimes with so many people using his name without his permission.

To my knowlwdge, Tito has only been down there 2 or 3 times. There was always a report when he goes down there. Jermaine went down there once. There was a report that Matt was going to bring Michael down there. That I think was rather presumptuous. It never happened. I don't believe MJ will be attending any fan party in Devon. It hasn't stopped them using his name. I don't know if MJ doesn't get angry sometimes with so many people using his name without his permission.

i know what you mean this has happened so many times before pple claiming mj would be somewhere and everyone going for nothing
allthough i sure as hell would love to meet the man
maybe i should invite him to holland for family vacation (i d give hime the keys to a chalet at kidzparadise for a short meeting let me tell you that:wild:)

know MJ has been in 'the Palms' studio.. But is he STAYING there too??

I know he moved out of that house a littlw while ago.. But now where??

the reason why I ask is my friend (fellow MJ fan) was taken to vegas by his dad.. He does not enjoy to gambel.. so he's board and wants to find and meet Michael.. :)

I told him I'll keep him posted of any sightings, but he has not been seen for a while.

correct me if i am wrong rasta, but i believe that i saw listed in the catalogue, a song by sara burellis (sp) called 'love song'? well..it hit number 1 on at 40 last week.

know MJ has been in 'the Palms' studio.. But is he STAYING there too??

I know he moved out of that house a littlw while ago.. But now where??

the reason why I ask is my friend (fellow MJ fan) was taken to vegas by his dad.. He does not enjoy to gambel.. so he's board and wants to find and meet Michael.. :smile:

I told him I'll keep him posted of any sightings, but he has not been seen for a while

last reports said he was renting a house in the same neighbourhood as the famous vegas act guy. wayne something?

Must be Wayne Newtin.. lol! he's IS Vegas.. lol!

hmm! I did not hear that.. but ya?? cuz I could probably find out where Newtin lives REALLY easy..

See??? I all ready got it.. lol!

he has 2 of them though.. I wonder (If MJ is really near him) which one it is..

yeah wayne newton thats it. there were a few articles a few weeks back about it saying there was a buzz cause mj and the kids had been spotted in the area. cant remember if it said coming out of a house or what not but the buzz was he was renting there

Last edited:
Interesting..

U know I saw him on cribs... Michael would love it..

He has a 52 acre ranch full of various animals etc..

Not as big and as many animals as Neverland.. But it's SOMEWHAT simular in a smaller scale.

It makes sence.. Maybe he really is??? who knows

Sure enough MJ won't be apart of this fan party thing, we can all bet on that!

Thanks for the .... news and Mentionings!

Rasta Pasta, a special thank you for all your efforts that go towards bringing us 'Michael the Businessman' information. I learn so much from reading that, and everyday it's published I am shocked at some of the songs that Michael has an interest in.
:)

Sure enough MJ won't be apart of this fan party thing, we can all bet on that!

Well ever since Michael went to that Brunei party, and since Uri Geller dragged him down to that silly thing he did in Exeter, there's no saying what Michael will do when in England... :scratch:

:rofl:

Thanks for the .... news and Mentionings!

Rasta Pasta, a special thank you for all your efforts that go towards bringing us 'Michael the Businessman' information. I learn so much from reading that, and everyday it's published I am shocked at some of the songs that Michael has an interest in.
:)

you are welcome...

its a pleasure to bring facts about his business dealings..

the media keeps talking about loans being owed.. but they NEVER EVER.. establish that Michael J is a corporation... and corporations/businesses take out loans to operate & grow their business...

they NEVER EVER establish that he is smart enough to start a business... maintain a business... grow that business... and beat 'the business'.. with their own business.. (if u know what I mean)...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

you are welcome...

its a pleasure to bring facts about his business dealings..

the media keeps talking about loans being owed.. but they NEVER EVER.. establish that Michael J is a corporation... and corporations/businesses take out loans to operate & grow their business...

they NEVER EVER establish that he is smart enough to start a business... maintain a business... grow that business... and beat 'the business'.. with their own business.. (if u know what I mean)...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

LOL! I definitely hear what your saying and I like the way you put it down.

I also notice that MJ appears to be basically living the life he has ALWAYS lived. From what we see, he seems to be enjoying the lifestyle he has always enjoyed.

Well ever since Michael went to that Brunei party, and since Uri Geller dragged him down to that silly thing he did in Exeter, there's no saying what Michael will do when in England... :scratch:
:rofl:

Michael Jackson then, sure enough is'nt the same Michael Jackson in 2008!

Back