~28 Years Ago Today ~ The Motown 25th Anniversary Special

MJ TinkerBell

Proud Member
Where Michael IS..Is where you will find Me <3
Country
Canada
The-Moonwalk-moonwalk-11507689-400-300.gif

WHERE WERE YOU ??? When the most ASTOUNDING event in Entertainment history happened !!!

Tell Us your story !!!:tease::wild::clapping::agree::wub:

michael-and-his-brothers-celebrate-motowns-25th-anniversary(28)-m-1.jpg

cfflaaumcdz8txh1.jpg

The Youtube Videos of the Event of the Century:
Michael Jackson 1983 Motown 25th Anniversary
[YOUTUBE]M5clmtbVwPI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Michael Jackson - Billie Jean (Special Edition) -
Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever (1983)
[YOUTUBE]wne_AgYgCQk[/YOUTUBE]

The Motown 25th Anniversary Special - FULL SHOW

Part 1

[YOUTUBE]FsOxuqMjPBI[/YOUTUBE]

Part 2

[YOUTUBE]Grj6-ZeB2uA&feature=fvwrel[/YOUTUBE]

Part 3

[YOUTUBE]fU_bKZX-4jU&feature=fvwrel[/YOUTUBE]

Part 4

[YOUTUBE]wKu8DMlYujI&feature=fvwrel[/YOUTUBE]

The Photo Gallery

1d19ce864-1.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

michael-jackson-thriller-25th-anniversary-epk-webcastr.jpg

To view Articles and more Photos :
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113992

always,
MJ TinkerBell
:wub::agree::clapping::clapping::dancin::clap:

Last edited:
Re: ~27 Years Ago Today ~ The Motown 25th Anniversary Special

I wasn't born yet lol. But I did watch Michael's Motown performance and the one with his brothers on Youtube. MAGNIFICENT.

I wasnt born that early to witness it :no: but i wish i was :yes:

Little correction: This was 28 years ago ;)

Yes, I wasn't born then too. But still it's magnificent to watch the videos and the photos from that day! Thank you for this thread :)

great performances.I wish I had been there to see these!!!

I wasnt born then. lol um i saw it on youtube i dont remember how or when.

This was 5 years b4 I was born... I missed it... It's not the same kinda feeling as witnessing it for the first time though... I Cant stop watching it though... Thankyou!

Michael... I Love you... YOU MADE The Ultimate HIStory!

I wasn't born yet, either. Wish I had been!!! Beyond legendary!!!

I can't believe it was that long ago. I so wish I was old enough to have seen it back then. Only because I was 3 years old at the time he did this. It must of have been amazing then for the older fans to have seen this on tv then. Or to have been there in person must of have been one of the most amazing experiences ever.

I was....not born yet lol i missed it by like 3 years...but damn i wish i could've witnessed it live though.

I was almost 20 years old when this aired. I don't really have an interesting story. I remember there was a lot of buzz and anticipation for this show leading up to it. I watched Michael make entertainment history on TV just like millions of other Americans that night. The thing was, to see Michael blossom and explode like this into a phenomenon after growing up watching him all those years with his brothers was pretty exciting. Even the prior solo success he had with the "Off The Wall" album was interesting to observe. I'm glad I was there to witness it all. Makes getting older now (47) worth it.

I know this is controversial, but I think this was one of his worst BJ performances. It was incredibly groundbreaking and a debut performance, but the moonwalk and toe stand were relatively disappointing compared to later shows - especially given the fact it was mimed.

^ With all due respect, THis was his first time performing Billie Jean by himself and this was LIVE so let's not rule that out because let's face it.. It was his first performance of Billie Jean so the later performances became flawless.

^
I never said it wasn't the first performance.

I remember seeing it live and thinking...WOW!

It may sound like I'm making this up but I assure you, I am not.
Even tho I remember watching this show when it originally aired, I watched
it on VHS on Wednesday night 3-23-11. Funny thing is, I didnt realize it was
it's 27th anniversay. Let alone a thread would be made on it.
Hey, cool beans. :cool: And thanks for posting.

I had been BLESSED to be able to say I saw it LIVE on Television when I was young !! My whole Family held our breath, and leaned into the T.V until we bumped heads! We all were trying to get the best angle and view of WHATEVER Michael was going to do !! We never moved, oh no washroom breaks here oh NO !! And take the CHANCE you would miss Michael ?? !! My whole entire Family knew it was going to be BIG and something was going to happen the electricity was in the THEATRE and in my house !! My sister and brothers looked as mesmerized as I was !!We had no clue we would be BLOWN away cause Michael went EPIC !!:wild::tease::wild:

Greatest moments in my life and in the memories of my Family as well !!

Thank you Michael !!
:wub::angel::wub:

Last edited:

I know this is controversial, but I think this was one of his worst BJ performances. It was incredibly groundbreaking and a debut performance, but the moonwalk and toe stand were relatively disappointing compared to later shows - especially given the fact it was mimed.

There's so many different ways in wich you could have said this.

We all know that even he himself wasn't pleased with his then performance and all he has done since then it was to work on it and improve it till it has become what it is now
AN UNEQUALED MASTERPIECE OF POP ART.

Anyhow The Motown 25 performance was indeed grounbreaking and mindblowning.

Last edited:

Annie Are You OK? Will You Tell Us That You're OK??????

The-Moonwalk-moonwalk-11507689-400-300.gif

WHERE WERE YOU ??? When the most ASTOUNDING event in Entertainment history happened !!!

Tell Us your story !!!:tease::wild::clapping::agree::wub:

I was such a little girl!! Living in Chile, there was no single way to see this live, so I never saw it live. I just have patches of memories of MJ's BJ being played over and over and over again on TV, for that was the only thing that matter for the audience in my country :D

So actually I have no memories of the show itself :mello:

But this is by far my fav MJ moment!!!! :clapping:

As far as we know, I guess we can kind of "agree" with you, since the man himself felt heartbroken for he couldn't stand on his toes for the 3 seconds he wanted to. He thought it was aweful and was totally dissappointed until a little kid told him he was great.
And then everyone else!

but he... no, he was not pleased at the end of it.

I agree MJ did better BJ's in time, bur as far as I am concerned, THIS IS THE ONE!!!!!!! The most iconic moment EVER!!! All MJ at once, the glitter, the glove, the hat. ALL!! Ah! I saw this glove in 2009 too. GREAT!

I was eleven when this was aired, but I live in Eastern Europe so by that time we lived surrounded by a wall and was impossible to see Michael and his performance. But after a while, when I watched his performance makes me call it "The true birth of a megastar"

I was only a one year old which is a shame, I wish I was born a little earlier to have been able to feel that electric atmosphere of those times. I really, really love watching the 25th anniversary special though - I watch it all the time. The bit where he looks up at the audience having just finished his performance - he looks shocked at the standing ovation and its like he realise just how far he has come - WOW!

I love this thread. If I may point out something strange about the timeline of this performance:

March 25, 1983 was the date of the Motown 25 performance at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. The crazy thing to me was that NBC did not air the Motown 25 show until May 16th. It seems unbelievable that almost 2 months would go by and nobody would know of this historic performance but it was a different era in television and mass media and things could be kept a secret. Anyone in attendence that night must have known they saw something special.

I personally remember watching the Motown 25 special at my house and it being a huge tv event. It was very exciting and my whole family was watching. Unfortunately it was a school night and I never saw the Jackson 5 reunion or Michael. I think I had to go to bed at 9 or something. I had to go to 3rd grade the next day.

Back