28 Million albums for HIStory???!!

ASIS

Proud Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8nvIZjkjFQ

I got this link from the news thread but go to 1:24 You'll see MJ saying that HIStory is at 28 million which is HUGE!

The data we were given is that the album is only 20-22 million.. can anyone explain that please?

I think many of his albums has sold more copies than the official numbers states.

^true. But also, I kinda think MJ was somewhat oblivious to some of the sales numbers.

^true. But also, I kinda think MJ was somewhat oblivious to some of the sales numbers.

That's what I thought as well.. But then again he's aware of the media figures and he's clearly aware of his sales figures in the interview. If he truly was oblivious he would have said something along the lines of "around 30 million" or "more than 25 million"

I don't know.. He doesn't seem oblivious to me here.

For a while, the HIStory sales figures were calculated by doubling the units sold since the HIStory package contained two discs and sold for $30+.

So Michael is probably taking the sales data at that time, 14 million and doubling it.

Oh, and this interview is actually from 1996, when he premiered the Stranger In Moscow video. I have a good quality recording of it on VHS.

Last edited:
For a while, the HIStory sales figures were calculated by doubling the units sold since the HIStory package contained two discs and sold for $30+.

So Michael is probably taking the sales data at that time, 14 million and doubling it.

So what is the correct way to calculate it?

In terms of sales it is correct to double the figure since sales are measured in units and HIStory contained two discs(units)

so it's more accurate to say that HIStory is around 44 Million right now?

does that make it the second best selling MJ album ever?

After it was released it sold 14 million worldwide, but they doubled the sales figures because they counted each disc seperately, thus making it 28m.

I think it went onto sell 18 million overall.

In 1997 New York Post reported in an article that HIStory album had sold 20 mill. albums.
They "described" that as a huge Sony success.

20 mill. box sets= a double album meant or equaled 40 mill. pieces of CD/MC...

It was in 1997!!!!

the last official numbers were 21 mill. = 42 mill. pieces of CD/MC

In fact, HIStory album is MJs second most profitable album after Thriller, which could mean that HIStory album is at the TOP5 of the best selling albums of all time.

Back