23 - 25 January "The 1988 Grammys were just a tribute to Bad."

mariemarie

Guests
Hey guys. How are you all feeling today? Stuck at work or in school? Don't worry, the weekend is just hours away =)

Champion for the underdog

"It would be so typical of this movie if we did win an Oscar," says Danny Boyle about the buzz surrounding Slumdog Millionaire (currently playing in the UAE).

The fact that it has won four Golden Globes and five Critics Choice Awards can only work in its favour.

Did you always want to act?

I was born in Agra and moved to Delhi first because it was the closest glamour city, second to Mumbai. I landed parts in dance shows where I dressed up like Michael Jackson.

More http://www.business24-7.ae/articles/2009/1/pages/01232009_5d3b852c23544bb783b3f08c89a493fa.aspx

Leamington banker Navin aims to cash in with his singing

He may have been nominated for a national music award and have a song in a Bollywood film, but Navin Kundra has yet to give up his day job at a Leamington bank.
The 24-year-old singer is among the contenders for best newcomer at the UK Asian Music Awards on March 5, but has been writing and playing music all his life.

He released his first single Tukde Tukde in 2007 and plans to release his next single Love Thing on Valentine's Day.

Navin sings in English, Punjabi and Hindi and feels his biggest influences are Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson and the late Kishore Kumar, who sang in many Bollywood films.

He said: "That's where the fusion, or confusion comes in - I try to bring all the elements together.

"It is like a contemporary mix of east and west but we've given it a pop treatment."

Full article http://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/news/Leamington-banker-Navin-aims-to.4903002.jp

Oscars by the numbers

$1.5 million -- Highest price of an Oscar statuette when sold at auction. It was "Gone With The Wind's" 1939 best picture Oscar, and it was bought by Michael Jackson.
everettcollection_rex-3113.jpg

http://blogs.suntimes.com/awards/2009/01/oscars_by_the_numbers.html

Woman nearly drowns on Uri Gellar TV show

What's worse than nearly drowning? How about nearly drowning on a TV show, in front of millions of people? Worse still, imagine Uri Gellar stood by, watching. Well, this actually happened to a woman called Amila, a 26 year old who took part in a show called The Next Uri Geller. So what on earth happened? Was she trying to recreate that Radiohead video? Was she taking part in some nightmarish initiation process? Thankfully not...

http://www.tvscoop.tv/2009/01/woman_nearly_dr.html :smilerolleyes:

I Think The Grammys Are Coming Up. Maybe.

s-GRAMMYS-large.jpg
While driving in my car the other day, I slowly drove past a huge billboard of Rihanna. For those who don't have a hip girlfriend to inform them, Rihanna is apparently a huge pop star. According to Wikipedia she also "serves as the cultural ambassador for the island of Barbados." She's 20 years old and has already fashioned a career as a pop star/world leader. A Peter Gabriel for a new era. It's very impressive.

But I couldn't figure out why this aspiring diplomat randomly had her face plastered around Los Angeles. Even Peter Gabriel doesn't have that. The artwork made her look epic, like a legend. But for the life of me, I couldn't figure out the reasoning behind a giant picture of her face hovering over the local Jack in the Box.

Two tacos for 99 cents later, it hit me:

This was a billboard for the Grammy Awards.
I didn't even know the Grammys still existed. I thought they fell by the wayside around the time Carlos Santana recorded a romp with Rob Thomas, ruining our memory of both Santana and Matchbox 20 in the process. (The latter's legacy was ruined because we now look back at them in a positive light. Oh Carlos.)

According to this billboard, not only do the Grammy Awards still exist, but they might even be coming up. I can only assume Rihanna is hosting.
You know what I'm positive still exists? The Academy Awards. I know who's hosting them: Wolverine. I know the nominees for the Oscars, and that they get more press than the actual Grammy Awards. Hell, I even know the Oscars have a dress rehearsal (for some reason coined "The Golden Globes"). And most importantly, I know exactly when that George Clooney-fest goes down: February 22nd. There may even be a a party for it where I get together with people I sort of know.

But the Grammys? I think they're in February. But they could've easily happened already and I wouldn't have noticed. Perhaps that dinner party I went to last week was really a Grammys party in disguise. It was boring enough and I think we listened to Beyonce.
What happened? When I was younger, I used to love the Grammys and I looked forward to them. They seemed like an honor. Really awarding the best of the best.

Maybe the music isn't as good these days and the songs don't need acknowledgment. Remember "Sledgehammer?" Peter Gabriel sang the hell out of that. I don't know if it won a Grammy (why should I; I'm not Wikipedia), but I'm guessing it won like 18 of them. What about any Michael Jackson song? I was only five years old at the time, but I can only assume that the 1988 Grammys were just a tribute to "Bad." If that album was recorded today, you better believe Jacksons face would be above that Jack in the Box. And you better believe you'd be tuning in.

Maybe the internet has ruined the communal experience of music, taking it out of large, shoulder supported boomboxes and putting it into little white earphones. Maybe there's no reason to get to excited for awards given to artists and bands that only show up on "shuffle" while we're jogging with our iPod.

Whatever the reason, I'm just not excited, or even interested, in a music awards ceremony anymore. The weird thing is that I'm much more of a music fan now than I was in 1992, when Boyz II Men was wearing matching outfits and thanking Michael Bivins.
But if they host, let me know.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-abramson/i-think-the-grammys-are-c_b_160173.html

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1988 - Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel" hit #1 in the U.S.

2004 - The judge in Michael Jackson's child molestation case sealed 82 pages of documents that contained "sensitive information" and refused to lift a gag order.

Michael-Jackson-The-Way-You-Make-380966.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 23 - 25 January Weekend news

Thanks for the news!!!!!!!!!

*sigh* I love that Grammy's article. That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the Grammys! lol
(but I'm still gonna watch them, lol)

thank you for the news :)

i love that song Way you make me feel :) :jump: thanks for the history of it :)

thank you for the news :)

i love that song Way you make me feel :) :jump: thanks for the history of it :)

You are welcome. It's a great song, isn't it. Always gets you in the mood :)

You are welcome. It's a great song, isn't it. Always gets you in the mood :)

:yes: it does get me in the mood :yes: MarieMarie can i ask you something? where can i find way you make me feel all the remix just asking? :)

:yes: it does get me in the mood :yes: MarieMarie can i ask you something? where can i find way you make me feel all the remix just asking? :)

I have no clue. Maybe someone else have an idea?

Nice article about the Grammys...Thanks for the news.

When I was younger, I used to love the Grammys and I looked forward to them. They seemed like an honor. Really awarding the best of the best.

Now I just watch and channel surf, cuz there's not much else on. :/

i watch the oprah winfrey show today she talk about in DC and she also talking the Oscars :yes: and you can go on her website and you can win to see the Oscars :yes: :jump: :clap:

so go on here website and try win:yes: :clap: good luck with everybody :)

Thank for the news
love the Grammy article
it nice to hear MJ mentioned in a positive
light and show how much he is missed -
It's so blah without him ...

Thanks marie for posting the news. :)

The Grammy article was on point. Honestly, I am only watching the show to see what kind of mess will happened on there. The show will not be about musicians deserving a well respected award (well, once well respected). The award show will be about less talented, forgettable artists over-promoting themselves so that people will get up and buy their CDs. (This is not aimed at REAL artists who write, sing and take their craft seriously.) The guy who did the article told the truth and he was aright about "Bad" - if Mike made that CD today, people will buy it and people will watch the award show.

Thanx for the n&m marie. I can see the writer is around the same age as me. He got the standing ovation and he was younger than many of the audience. If he ever performs for the Grammies in the future, the ratings will be skyrocketing. Given the current state, it would be like, double or triple or more than now.

Thanks for the news. Can't help but to agree about the Grammy's. I haven't watched it since the 90s lol. It's just a shell of what it used to be. In fact, imho, I wouldn't even want to see MJ on that show - what would the point be? He would breathe temporary life into it, but he doesn't need it for his promotion. Nor does he need it's recognition lol. He could just send someone to collect his awards, but he doesn't need to be there cuz it's embarrasing lol.

Nor does he need it's recognition lol. He could just send someone to collect his awards, but he doesn't need to be there cuz it's embarrasing lol.

I agree LOL.

What who would he send? Ya know, I can think of a couple of good looking bodyguards of his who could be there to collect his awardS!

I agree LOL.

What who would he send? Ya know, I can think of a couple of good looking bodyguards of his who could be there to collect his awardS!

Yes, the bodyguards can accompany me to the show lol. I will sit through the torture in order to personally deliver the little award-thingies to Mr. Jackson:D

Michael Jackson Mentionings for Jan 24, 2009:

http://justjaredjr.buzznet.com/2009/01/23/miley-cyrus-michael-jackson-is-amazing/

Miley Cyrus: Michael Jackson is Amazing

miley-cyrus-thriller-vid.jpg

Miley Cyrus popped in on MileyWorld today to clear up some more rumors about her vid, “Fly on the Wall.”
The 16-year-old singer/actress shared, “I was on iTunes today and ‘Fly on the Wall’ is doing really good. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Some people were upset because they think I copied Michael Jackson in my video. That was the point because I like Michael Jackson. He’s amazing. That was kind of the point — we wanted to do something like [his classic hit song] ‘Thriller.’”
P.S. Don’t mind the excited birds in the background.

Miley Cyrus - MileyWorld Video, 01/23

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/port-folio-weekly-symphony-gets-its-groove

Formed 13 years ago as a tribute band to The Four Tops, Spectrum enjoyed success on the Las Vegas Strip performing as part of a multi-million dollar production billed as American Superstars and Legends in Concert. The impersonators included entertainers portraying the Temptations, Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley. But Spectrum had bigger ideas than being limited the Four Tops’ music

http://www.observer.org.sz/index.php?news=1079

Who or what inspires you…?
Banco: We are inspired by the things that happen around us. The everyday life things. I personally am inspired by a whole lot of people who managed to succeed in different areas of life, not just one person in particular.
TQ: The things around me basically inspire me. I must say though that Michael Jackson is also a great inspiration. He is my idol and I love his music. I could go on and on about the artist.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/entertainment/Dancers-put-their-best-foot.4909683.jp

She said: 'I really wanted everyone to see how well all my pupils are doing. From hip hop, jazz, latin and cabaret to High School Musical – even Michael Jackson dance.

Michael Jackson HIStory for Jan 24, 2009:

1976 - The Jackson Five appeared on "Soul Train."

1987 - A sketch entitled "Michael Jackson Workout" was show on "Saturday Night Live."

2005 - Court papers were released that showed that the prosecutors in the Michael Jackson molestation case had asked for permission to admit items including photographs, magazines, books and videos seized from Jackson's Neverland ranch. The items had been seized on November 13, 2003.

Yes, the bodyguards can accompany me to the show lol. I will sit through the torture in order to personally deliver the little award-thingies to Mr. Jackson:D

:rofl:

you guys reminded me of a line from the Simpsons where Homer remembers his past as a member of the Barber shop quartet and he gets rid of his grammy and the pimply hotel boy gets the award and he's like "alright! an award.... ohw it's just a grammy" and chucks it away :rofl:

:rofl:

you guys reminded me of a line from the Simpsons where Homer remembers his past as a member of the Barber shop quartet and he gets rid of his grammy and the pimply hotel boy gets the award and he's like "alright! an award.... ohw it's just a grammy" and chucks it away :rofl:

What? Throw away a grammy?:eek: Oh hel no, not while the dog needs something to chew on:cheeky:. Gosh, I'm breaking my new years resolutions...I should be nicer! Even to to Grammy's.

Now this isn't directly related to Michael, but it's hystarical, as Michael's already set the standard for this new fashion trend, lol.

Yamamoto brings sleepwear onto the street

• Thu Jan 22, 4:06 pm ET
AP – A model presents an ensemble as part of the men's Fall-Winter 2009/2010 collection by Japanese fashion …

PARIS – Will Yohji Yamamoto do for sleepwear what Jean Paul Gaultier, creator of Madonna's mythical conical bra, did for lingerie?
In his Paris menswear show Thursday, the Japanese designer woke the classic pajama set up, dusted the sleep off and called it streetwear.
"I was looking for the very most luxurious moment and I found it's before sleeping," Yamamoto told The Associated Press in a backstage interview.
Silky trench coats that looked like well-loved bathrobes topped oversized pajama suits in navy and white polka-dots. Coats, in fuzzy flannel-like wool, were cut wide — almost like a blanket — and some showed flashes of contrasting white lining.
Some of the models even carried baguettes under their arms, as if they'd ducked out to their local boulangerie to buy breakfast.
In an apparent homage to the boxer's satin robe, the back of a coat in eye-popping pink and red sported an emblazoned tiger, its claws slashing. Baseball-inspired jackets in dark wool with white leather sleeves also riffed on the minor sportswear angle of the show.

^^ LOL yeah I went to the store this morning around 9am and there were these people all over the place in their pjs. I thought to myself that Michael sure does like to set trends even in secret. Oh and those people in their pjs acted like they had no care in the world what people thought or looked at them.

Back