2012 Summer Olympics- London Thread

The opening ceremony was amazing.
Some things reminded me of Michael, when they carried the olympic flag there were one who got Nobel´s peace price and another one who devoted her life to save the rainforest.
I think it was amazing-and Michaelish-that those young people lit the olympic fire.Go for your dream.

I wondered if Hey Jude was in Michael´s music catalogue or if Paul McCartney chose it because he still had the rights to it.

It always feels good if someone from my country takes a medal, even in sports I´m not interested but this year I can enjoy gymnastics.There are seldoms swedes competing in it and when they send it in the night I¨m to tired to watch and they don´t use to show much or anything in summaries.

Last edited:
Canada only got bronze won by Emilie Haymens and Jennifer Abel for 3m syncho-swimming as of now. Still it's better than nothing.

MIST;3680860 said:
The opening ceremony was amazing.
Some things reminded me of Michael, when they carried the olympic flag there were one who got Nobel´s peace price and another one who devoted her life to save the rainforest.
I think it was amazing-and Michaelish-that those young people lit the olympic fire.Go for your dream.

I wondered if Hey Jude was in Michael´s music catalogue or if Paul McCartney chose it because he still had the rights to it.

It always feels good if someone from my country takes a medal, even in sports I´m not interested but this year I can enjoy gymnastics.There are seldoms swedes competing in it and when they send it in the night I¨m to tired to watch and they don´t use to show much or anything in summaries.

I really enjoyed the opening ceromony too :clapping:it was great !!!!!!

That's 4 more medals for CANADA!!! 3 bronze and 1 sliver. No gold yet, but hopeful.

13473-TEAM_CMYK.jpg

They played DSTYGE during the athletics competitions.

Usain Bolt won again and there's a new Olympic record! 9.63 :D :D
He's the number 1!!

I love the Olympics and follow it. Hungary has 4 gold so far:

Áron Szilágyi (fencing)

szilagyi_dontos_gyozelem_670.jpg

Dániel Gyurta (swimming)

gyurta_daniel_mti_illyes_tibor.jpg

Krisztián Berki (gymnastics)

1328193_M01.jpg

Krisztián Pars (athletics - hammer throw):

pars_krisztian_orom_london2012_mti.JPG

I'm angry about the Canada USA Womens Soccer, the referee made 2 bs calls on Canada and cost them the game. I'm not saying the US doesn't deserve to be in a Gold Medal game, I'm saying what the referee did was unforgiveable, I hate those blindbats. At least Canada is going for a Bronze Medal game.

I'm angry about the Canada USA Womens Soccer, the referee made 2 bs calls on Canada and cost them the game. I'm not saying the US doesn't deserve to be in a Gold Medal game, I'm saying what the referee did was unforgiveable, I hate those blindbats. At least Canada is going for a Bronze Medal game.

So proud of our soccer team! They overcame adversity and won the bronze...I agree those were bullshit calls, but these women are so inspiring after going through what they did:)

Proud to be Canadian :D

I look at the athletics in the evenings but there are seldom swedes in the finals.
But Swedens handballteam for men are going to play in a final.
I have been exhausted their last matches ,thrown between hope and despair.
I don´t know if you can see the pictures in the link but there is Swedens king watching the game and screaming just like many of us have.
http://www.expressen.se/sport/os-2012/se-kungaparet-kastas-mellan-hopp-och-fortvivlan/
The queen is sitting beside him, but I don´t know who the woman is holding her ears.
Some of the players in Swedens handballteam for women were close to gold too,when they met Usain Bolt and took some pictures in his hotelroom.
If he kept his goldmedal in his room.. they were not even close to win one single match.

So, it's over. :(

These were great Games, I enjoyed it a lot. I wasn't impressed by the Opening Ceremony, to be honest, but the Brits more than made up for it with everything else. I love it how enthusiastic they are for sports and how supportive they are of the athletes. Of course, for their own first, but they acknowledge everyone else.

From my country's POV (Hungary) it's been great games too. At the end we won 8 golds (3 in canoe sprint, 2 in swimming, 1 in gymnastics, 1 in athletics, 1 in fencing), 4 silvers and 5 bronze medals and finished 9th on the medal table. It's a great achievement from a small and economically troubled country like ours and a tremendous effort from our athletes - so hats off for them.

I'm pretty sad now it's over though.

So, it's over. :(

These were great Games, I enjoyed it a lot. I wasn't impressed by the Opening Ceremony, to be honest, but the Brits more than made up for it with everything else. I love it how enthusiastic they are for sports and how supportive they are of the athletes. Of course, for their own first, but they acknowledge everyone else.

From my country's POV (Hungary) it's been great games too. At the end we won 8 golds (3 in canoe sprint, 2 in swimming, 1 in gymnastics, 1 in athletics, 1 in fencing), 4 silvers and 5 bronze medals and finished 9th on the medal table. It's a great achievement from a small and economically troubled country like ours and a tremendous effort from our athletes - so hats off for them.

I'm pretty sad now it's over though.

That's great for Hungary! :wild:

Yeah, I'm always sad when the Olympics are over too :(

^Thanks.

I was watching the Closing Ceremony yesterday and with so many big stars that Britain has I kind of expected better, to be honest. Maybe it just didn't come across on TV for some reason, but to me it didn't seem to have the great and cool atmosphere the Sydney Closing Ceremony had.

This is from Sydney 2000, for example (Midnight Oil):

I loved Eric Idle from Monty Python singing Always Look On The Bright Side of Life from their classic movie, The Life of Brian (one of my faves). I also liked Brian May playing guitar, only he should not have been joined on stage by that female singer, Jessie J or what was her name. :p

But the Olympics itself was great and very memorable! A big congratulations to the Brits! They did a great job!

Well, next up it's Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia in 2014, then samba in Rio in 2016!

Last edited:
I also liked Brian May playing guitar, only he should not have been joined on stage by that female singer, Jessie J or what was her name. :p

Yeah, Brian May played the solo from Brighton Rock which was quite surprising for me. Then Roger Taylor was in the middle, playing on drums and they did We Will Rock You with Jessie J. I was expecting them to do We Are The Champions but they didn't, but it's cool.

Oh and right before the Queen segment, or rather, how the Queen segment started... THIS was my favorite part...

420156_10151006875133990_561400323_n.jpg

The famous call and response bit with the crowd. Now THAT's what I call a front man. The whole stadium singing along to a VIDEO of Freddie. I got chills! He commands a stadium full of people, even when he's only made of pixels...

The ceremony itself was EPIC. They did that BoRhap tease and then John Lennon was on the screen singing Imagine.

The Who, Annie Lennox, Muse were my favs... among MANY others. It was epic! :D

The famous call and response bit with the crowd. Now THAT's what I call a front man. The whole stadium singing along to a VIDEO of Freddie. I got chills! He commands a stadium full of people, even when he's only made of pixels...

I felt the same way. I thought, "he's been gone for 20 years, and he can STILL do that!"

I thought the whole closing ceremony was awesome. I'm not really into sports, so haven't watched anything else from the olympics. But I expected a great show last night, and I was right :cheeky:

Back