2000 Watts - makes no scientific sense

TheMan1998

Proud Member
Hi

I happen to have a master degree in electrical engineering, and I remember when I first heard 2000 watts when I got my copy of Invincible, back in the days when I was still in collage as an undergraduate student. The first thing caught my attention is the line: "2000 Watts, 8 ohms, 200 volts" I immediately noticed that it don't make any sense.. The unit Watt in a measure of Power. Electrical power is defined as the product of Voltage and Current: P=VxI. Current could be defined by Ohm's law as Voltage divided by Resistance, which is measured in Ohms. So 200 volts divided by 8 ohms gives a current of 25 Amperes. If we multiply the 200 Volts by 25 Amps we'll get 5000 Watts, not 2000 Watts...

Could Michael or Teddy "miscalculated" the lyrics on this one...? Do you thing Michael knew anything about basic electricity? By the way the song still could make some sense if he was talking about AC power where 8 ohms is referring to Impedance, and the 2000 watts is the real power while the 5000 Volt-Amps is the total apparent power, but this will give a power factor of only 0.4 (2000/5000), which is no way near practical for any loudspeaker...

Sorry is this sound too technical.. It always bothered me...

They're song lyrics, not a school lesson. You're taking them a little too seriously. :D

I don't know about you, but I think the lyrics reflect something a little different...:ninja:

Ha, as far as I know, Michael didn't have a master's degree in electrical engineering...and I don't think the song was to be taken literally. Listen again...

:)

All I know is that 2000 Watts is an amazing song :punk:

I'm very much aware of the metaphors and paraphrases of the song.. but still, calling it 5000 watts wouldn't have changed the hidden message of the song... I do not blame Michael for this, but I'm surprised that no other engineer in the recording studio brought this to Michael's attention...

Ok, I'll just say it....I personally think it's about sex....which could explain why it makes no scientific sense :cheeky:

well in U2's Vertigo Bono says 1,2,3,14 WTF?!! that's no sense to me....

You're telling MJ didnt know everything? :O

No-he-didn't :bugeyed
I'm gonna kill myself right now! :swoon:

Ok, I'll just say it....I personally think it's about sex....which could explain why it makes no scientific sense :cheeky:

Thanks Arklove, I was about to bring this up but I didn't want to be the first with a dirty mind here :lol:

That's what I noticed when I first heard the song back in high school.:smilerolleyes:
Maybe it sounded the best when sung aloud. 5000 watts is a little difficult to pronounce if you put it in the song.
Also, did you notice that they were rhyming by "Two thousand watts, eight ohms / Two hundred volts, real strong / Too much of that, fuse blown / Be careful what you say don’t overload"?

yeah, I also think that 2000 Watts is about sex. and when you are in the middle of that kind of situation you tend to forget about science lol

I do like 2000 watts very much and I wished that he had done a short film for it. But I think it is about something sexual and I would like to hear some demos of it...

Yall funny people :lol: I like this lighthearted convo.

I can understand where the T/S is comin from. If I'd majored in that field, I'd be probably feeling the same.
I agree with fzsky. Could be the case where they thought it was a better choice, sonically. They probably thought "2000" sounded better than "5000." You know, song lyrics are supposed to be easy to sing and go with the melody and beats. Also, they should sound "special" to listeners, whatever that might mean.

JMie;3150024 said:
yeah, I also think that 2000 Watts is about sex. and when you are in the middle of that kind of situation you tend to forget about science lol

hahaha....SO true! :lol:

:coffee: (not MY personal analysis, but I agree with it) :ninja:

Bass note (the man) treble (the woman) stereo control (desire) how low you go just about enough to make your juices flow (heat things up to turn you on)
Press play (Foreplay) don't stop. Rotate (Guy on top, girl on top) Too Hot! You feel I'm real (Penis Size) I'm everything you need so tell me what's the deal? (Girl stops suddenly)
Release two or three (C*m-loads) When I reach, I can go until I hit my peak (When he tries, he can go for a looooonnnnggg time til he "hits his peak")
Highpost Lady (Prostitute) Shorty(Some random girl he met and has feelings for) Really wanna be there for me? (He likes commitment when he has sex)
2000 watts 8 ohms 200volts, real strong (Refering to his stamina) too much of that, fuse blown (if he keeps his strong rhythm he comes too fast.)
Be careful what you say don't overload (He doesn't like girls that talk too dirty, just enough to turn him on, talking dirty too much is a turn off.)
3D, (threesome!?!?!) high speed, (banging her fast) feedback(How good the sex was), Dolby(He's big, I mean real big)
Release two or three, (c*mloads) when I reach I can go ‘til I hit my peak(When he tries, he can go for hours or days)
Compact steelo, (#$%&/sextoy) chico(him), D-Lo(Also known as downlow), highpost lady(prostitute)
Shorty really wanna be there for me (means he likes commitment before having sex)

TheMan1998;3149514 said:
Hi

I happen to have a master degree in electrical engineering, and I remember when I first heard 2000 watts when I got my copy of Invincible, back in the days when I was still in collage as an undergraduate student. The first thing caught my attention is the line: "2000 Watts, 8 ohms, 200 volts" I immediately noticed that it don't make any sense.. The unit Watt in a measure of Power. Electrical power is defined as the product of Voltage and Current: P=VxI. Current could be defined by Ohm's law as Voltage divided by Resistance, which is measured in Ohms. So 200 volts divided by 8 ohms gives a current of 25 Amperes. If we multiply the 200 Volts by 25 Amps we'll get 5000 Watts, not 2000 Watts...

Could Michael or Teddy "miscalculated" the lyrics on this one...? Do you thing Michael knew anything about basic electricity? By the way the song still could make some sense if he was talking about AC power where 8 ohms is referring to Impedance, and the 2000 watts is the real power while the 5000 Volt-Amps is the total apparent power, but this will give a power factor of only 0.4 (2000/5000), which is no way near practical for any loudspeaker...

Sorry is this sound too technical.. It always bothered me...

Awww you are so cute!!! I'm an engineer too though I barely remember what an ohm is. Enjoyed your post though. :)

Arklove;3150605 said:

Bass note (the man) treble (the woman) stereo control (desire) how low you go just about enough to make your juices flow (heat things up to turn you on)
Press play (Foreplay) don't stop. Rotate (Guy on top, girl on top) Too Hot! You feel I'm real (Penis Size) I'm everything you need so tell me what's the deal? (Girl stops suddenly)
Release two or three (C*m-loads) When I reach, I can go until I hit my peak (When he tries, he can go for a looooonnnnggg time til he "hits his peak")
Highpost Lady (Prostitute) Shorty(Some random girl he met and has feelings for) Really wanna be there for me? (He likes commitment when he has sex)
2000 watts 8 ohms 200volts, real strong (Refering to his stamina) too much of that, fuse blown (if he keeps his strong rhythm he comes too fast.)
Be careful what you say don't overload (He doesn't like girls that talk too dirty, just enough to turn him on, talking dirty too much is a turn off.)
3D, (threesome!?!?!) high speed, (banging her fast) feedback(How good the sex was), Dolby(He's big, I mean real big)
Release two or three, (c*mloads) when I reach I can go ‘til I hit my peak(When he tries, he can go for hours or days)
Compact steelo, (#$%&/sextoy) chico(him), D-Lo(Also known as downlow), highpost lady(prostitute)
Shorty really wanna be there for me (means he likes commitment before having sex)

:rollin: :rollin: Thank you thank you. I needed that after reading that discovery channel shit.

Arklove;3150605 said:

:bugeyed It's about SEX?? :bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed

alright..that's song number 200,001,001 of mj's that somebody found something wrong with. :lol: and..it's nice to know that men aren't the only ones with one thing on their mind. lol

Arklove;3150605 said:

I thought that the discussion in this thread is about scientific sense :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great analisis, thanks Arklove :)

Arklove;3150605 said:

ahahahha, that's priceless!

:bugeyed It's about SEX?? :bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed

LOL! Yeah, it is, unless there is some hidden message in there that I have yet to find. ;)

And also "5000 watts"? Why not "3147 watts"? Try to sing THAT! ;)

Back