2 Bad

Tony R

Proud Member
To my mind HIStory is full of great songs including many that the general public haven't heard and many that MJ fans forget about. Although this was the first album that contained any filler, the vast majority of the album is brilliant and continued MJ's songwriting peak from Dangerous.

One such song is '2 Bad', this is what I wrote about it in my HIStory review http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44385&highlight=review a couple of years ago...

Next is a lost classic, '2 Bad' is a breathtaking hip-hop/dance hybrid that should have been a single. The song was to re-appear on the excellent Ghosts short film later on with an equally exceptional dance routine. With a cameo rap by Shaquille O'Neal, the song is another swipe at haters and an ode to his inner strength. 'I'm right back where I wanna be – I'm standing though you're kicking me!' The production on here is perfect with beats that unconsciously make you move. An extremely contempory song, that could easily hit the top spot 12 years later if released.

I still think it's brilliant and still sounds fresh. I think it's possibly the most 'street' song he ever released and as always his vocal suits the song perfectly. The small instrumental segueway into rap is phenomenal and the lyrics, like most of HIStory are personal without alienating the listener (e.g. Privacy).

Any other fans?

Great song indeed. Usually when I'm thinking about listening HIStory album, I just put 2 Bad on and play that. I remember when I first heard that - I thought right away it was awesome! And it still is! :)

As I like everything of Michael's with a bit of rhythm in it, I think this is a cool song too. Makes me start dancing!:yes:

The first time I heard "2 Bad," interestingly, was on the BOTDF album ... the Refugee Camp Remix, and quite honestly, I couldn't stand it. Then I caught "Ghosts" on TV and heard the original version, and I was hooked. I love the beat, background vocals and the slap bass throughout the track.

One of my all-time MJ favorites, but like startinsomethin said, I can't stand the remix version. And I really could do without the rap in the original to be honest, but it still can't ruin an otherwise fantastic track.

Love this track! It has so much power to it. Unlike the above posters, I really like the remix on BOTDF too, actually I think it's one of the best remixes on the album

Back