1984 Analysis of Michael - and what we feel now...

ItsALLforLOVE

Proud Member
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20196979,00.html

Found this old article from 1984 (post-Victory tour).

If we knew then, what we know now, would anything be different...

The author was not always positive, actually he was a bit harsh on Michael. But it seemed everyone compared Michael's post Thriller work so harshly.

Overall I felt it was an interesting read. Especially for those who were not around during the 1980's...

From the article:

"Michael Jackson remained one of those great successes that fall just short of the ultimate POW! Then he cut Thriller. Instantly he was hailed as the new pop hero, the heir of Sinatra, Elvis and the Beatles, the focus of a phenomenon. What happened? "

He got better IMO...

From the article:

Michael Jackson told Interview in October 1982: "I love to create magic—to put something together that's so unusual, so unexpected that it blows people's heads off. Something ahead of the times. Five steps ahead of what people are thinking. So people see it and say, 'Whoa! I wasn't expecting that!' "

I believe that he did this, time and time again with his videos and his music. I never tired of his songs or him.

From the article:

When Michael Jackson started writing songs that evinced his state of mind, they startled some of his listeners. In fact, only these more attentive listeners appear to have taken heed of the often lame but poignant lyrics. The words that spoke of doubt, bewilderment, suffering didn't conform with the long-established image of happy "little Michael," the cutest kiddie star since Shirley Temple. Yet there was no mistaking the authenticity of his signature. Like modern urban blues, these groping songs could be heard as descriptions of both the singer's predicament and your own.

Today I feel bad that I did not listen as deeply as I should have to his messages in his songs. They were crying out to me, reaching me deeply, but I did not connect his hurting and suffering as I related it more to me, not him

From the article:

glittering superstar, the envy of millions, he inspires universal sympathy through his imprisoned and deprived lifestyle. The conjunction of all these contrarieties is what makes Michael Jackson such a magical creature. He is the latest of our pop messiahs, those boy heroes, unknown to any other time, whose tumultuous triumphs have become one of the primary rhythms of our culture and its most thrilling ritual of renewal.

He still is and will be forever.

Today I feel bad that I did not listen as deeply as I should have to his messages in his songs. They were crying out to me, reaching me deeply, but I did not connect his hurting and suffering as I related it more to me, not him [/b]

this is exactly how i feel...

Back