What was MJ better at singing or dancing?

Perfected both fields.

That's a fair enough assessment! I also find it impossible to choose. Whenever I watch ththe bad tour I'm totally blown away by his voice and his vocal technique but then I watch ghosts (2bad in particular) and I'm like OK this does it for me

For me, his singing. Went from astonishing as a child to incredibly, breathtakingly beautiful as an adult. Not to even mention the overwhelming seductive sexiness of it.

His singing is like the most luscious cake and ice cream and his dancing and the way he danced, moved/swaggered/strutted is the extra wonderful whipped cream bonus.

(Actually, really hard to choose. The two go together.
But I can and do listen to his albums all the time and am not always watching him dance).

Difficult to choose and I can't. He was amazing at both.

That's a fair enough assessment! I also find it impossible to choose. Whenever I watch ththe bad tour I'm totally blown away by his voice and his vocal technique but then I watch ghosts (2bad in particular) and I'm like OK this does it for me

I don't think one comes at the expense of the other. It's like you can be a great painter and also a great poet. In my opinion MJ reached perfection in some areas and I enjoy everything as a whole. I don't really feel the need to decide between them. That being said, I think if it was just about "best dancing" I wouldn't have admired him as much as I do, so the "totality" and the perfectionism are essential parts of it. He didn't do million of mediocre things but he aimed for perfection in the things he did do.

Last edited:
Impossible to choose, I'd say. When you listen to She's Out Of My Life live, where he doesn't dance and only walks it really showcases his voice. Every time he sung it he had phenomenal vocal control. It's one of my favourite live songs by any artist ever due to the brilliant vocals. He'd sing parts of the song with the mic away from his mouth showing his vocal strength.

Human Nature live is mightily impressive also. Especially the 'oh why' part.

I'll Be There is another excellent example. The magnificent long note at the end of I'll Be There at Wembley below. The whole rendition of that song is excellent, but that part especially stands out.

Edit: Just realised I never even mentioned his dancing. :rofl: I've never seen anybody dance the way he could. The way every dance move was on point and just the way he pulled moves off. Even simple moves done by him look far more impressive than when done by somebody else.

Last edited:
Impossible to say.

He could dance all kind of dance and sing so many tunes/notes. From 2000 watts low key to Earth Song high pitch.

He was universal in both areas and did whatever he did - sang or danced - perfect.

So I would say he was equally perfect at singing and dancing. That's why he's such a legend I think. So much talent.

I think he was equally astounding at both. When I speak about his singing or dancing abilities, I always find myself making the same comparison. The way his body and voice flowed was like water, it was just effortless.

^His dance moves were as rhythmic, percussive and staccato-laden as his singing voice.

Or what Nelson George refer to as "feet and mouth rhythms".

I've always said that

some people may argue IF he's the best vocalist, IF he is the best dancer, IF he is the best performer, IF he made the best videos, IF he was the greatest entertainer.. But until you can name me one other person that can be in 'the running' to be the best in so many areas within the field... He's simply THE BEST!

^Prince;D

See I was already wondering whether someone hacked your account because you didn't even grab the opportunity to mention that MJ didn't choreograph all his dance moves by himself and didn't sing all his songs live so he wasn't that impressive at either. But now that Prince has entered the discussion I'm sure we'll get there soon :)

Psychoniff;4149352 said:
^Prince;D

Psychoniff, I think you just might be going a little bit off-topic, here. (HAHAHAHA!!! ☺❤❤) But, yeah, I absolutely understand what you mean. I will always consider both men as equally-talented performers and musicians as Michael, himself, was also a musician, in his own unique way - though not in the “traditional” sense of him having written down sheet music, with the musical notes actually on paper, then playing what he composed on a number of instruments - having mainly used his voice as its own built-in “instrument,” unto itself.

Rather than write down sheet music (since he couldn’t actually read music, himself), Michael would sing the lyrics he wrote into a tape recorder (as he would write down the lyrics of a particular song he wanted to record, but not its music since he couldn’t read it, anyway), or go into the studio and do a rough Demo of a song, then, some time later (as the whole process may take up to a number of years, because he was such a perfectionist), go back and finish that same song he had already previously worked on.

Not only could he sing a line of melody (especially on ballads, when his singing was at its most BEAUTIFUL) or record vocals in harmony with himself, that one would hear in the background of a song, but he could also beat-box the percussion of that song as well. Michael may not be as well-known for playing outside instruments (those other than the one he already had on him and within him - his voice) or for writing down musical notes, but he was still a musician, nevertheless.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If MJ and Prince had an actual pissing contest.. Michael would win!

i'm sure Psychoniff would give us a reason why it's not valid and find some technicality that makes Prince better.. "well when considering high to pissing distance." ....

lol

^Where do you guys get this from that I am this avid Prince stan?

I'm not a big Prince fan by any stretch of the imagination.

I think that MJ had the kind of raw talent that not is the virtuosos like Prince could compete with. Prince also possessed great talent but his dancing and singing not as good as MJ's IMHO.

^ you are using Prince as THE example in a few threads lol!

we get it from you

If I really had to choose one,and I'm not saying this is my actual thoughts, I would say that comparing his dancing to his singing,singing ***** dancing. Honestly there are better dancers than Mike,but I'm not saying he's bad. Instead I believe If he had worked on his techniques a little more we would have seen a breakdancing MJ. XD

Peace! ?

If I really had to choose one,and I'm not saying this is my actual thoughts, I would say that comparing his dancing to his singing,singing ***** dancing. Honestly there are better dancers than Mike,but I'm not saying he's bad. Instead I believe If he had worked on his techniques a little more we would have seen a breakdancing MJ. XD

Peace! ?

Hmmm, unless you are talking about people that ONLY dance (and even then you have dancers that are in awe if MJ and wish they could dance like him, heck Fred Astaire himself passed the torch to Michael, not that MJ needed Fred's validation) I really can't think of any all around entertainers that dance better then MJ, and the only ones that even begin to come close are Usher and (as much as he disgust me) Chris Brown (I also hear that Ciara is good but I haven't seen her dance enough to comment on her), but none one of them are anywhere near the same level as MJ, and crazily enough both Chris Brown and Usher have pretty much said they owe their careers to MJ.

The idea of a breakdancing MJ is cool though. :D
I'm sure could've break danced if he wanted. :)
I don't think there were too many things if any that MJ couldn't have done. :yes:

Last edited:
His own style of dancing he absolutely perfected, but I would have to go with singing, seeing as he did tone down group choreography a bit during his live shows.

both ... his dance was amazing. He was the best dancer ever and his voice was magical :wub:

Well midwest, I wanna say both. That being said, if I found a magic lamp, thanks to which I could only ask for one of these superpowers ? I'd choose his voice. That Bruce Lee-ish "Hoo-ooh !" he does during James Brown's surprise test ?! What ?!!!! The one at the end of "Beat It" in Bucharest (92) ?! That heartfelt Billie Jean "Hee, hee *drums* aooooowwwww !" in the same concert ?! His voice will always be able to freeze time = Immortality. "Aaaall in the ai-aiiiiirrrr. *note smile*". :)

while I think he was incredibly talented at both I am more drawn to his voice than "dance moves." I listen to him everyday, but I don't feel the need to watch videos of him as much. Also, the whole Prince vs. Michael debate needs to end. I'm both a hardcore MJ and Prince stan and I don't see the point in arguing who is better, lol. Just something that irritates me.

I will put my head in the guillotine and say that he was a better dancer. Michael's voice is wonderful and I love it, but I've heard people sing better as far as technical execution goes #sorrynotsorry lol. BUT I will say Michael has one of the most, if not THE most unique voices I've ever heard. It's like it's high and low at the same time with this gorgeous, strong vibrato... :swoon: :wub:

Well midwest, I wanna say both. That being said, if I found a magic lamp, thanks to which I could only ask for one of these superpowers ? I'd choose his voice. That Bruce Lee-ish "Hoo-ooh !" he does during James Brown's surprise test ?! What ?!!!! The one at the end of "Beat It" in Bucharest (92) ?! That heartfelt Billie Jean "Hee, hee *drums* aooooowwwww !" in the same concert ?! His voice will always be able to freeze time = Immortality. "Aaaall in the ai-aiiiiirrrr. *note smile*". :)

I agree with this wholeheartedly man.His voice was just something else

Back