Lost In Music: Michael Jackson – Blood On The Dancefloor

billyworld99

Proud Member
Michael-Jackson-Bloody-On-The-Dance-Floor-banner-620x330.jpg

Posted by: Jamie Clarke in Music14 September 2013

Michael Jackson's Blood On The Dancefloor: HIStory In The Mix is the biggest selling remix album of all time - quite a record given the number of remix albums that are released every year. It's even more of an achievement when you consider that it was released when Michael Jackson's stock, both personally and professionally, had never been lower.

The album, containing thirteen tracks - five new and eight remixes - was written and produced while Jackson was travelling the globe on his HIStory World Tour to promote a double disc greatest hits CD packaged with a CD of new material. Whilst the remixes included on the album are very strong, it's the original tracks selected to feature that are a particularly interesting insight into Jackson's world circa 1997.

The caricature that Jackson had created for himself over the years, by purposefully releasing stories and pictures to the press, had backfired. The press, who he was manipulating to create a level of mystery and in turn increase his iconic status, created their own ****** *****' title. Jackson became, in his eyes, a victim and this began to work its way into his songwriting as early as 1987's Bad.

Upon release, reviews were largely mixed. Critics felt that Jackson had already explored the musical themes present on the album, while others criticised what they perceived to be weak vocals.

In retrospect, critics have viewed the material present on the album in a more favourable light and believe the album should have been more successful—commentators have stated that tabloid stories about the singer's personal life had overtaken his musical career.

'Morphine' contains a sample from The Elephant Man, a direct link to a false tabloid story that Jackson had made a bid to purchase the remains of Joseph Merrick. It was later revealed that Jackson himself had leaked this story to the press.

The song, one of the most interesting on the album, discusses the use of the drug Demerol. The artist had attended a rehab in 1994 following the original child molestation charges made against him. It is unknown whether it was due to an addiction to the prescription painkiller. The instrumentation is metallic, stabbing, aggressive and harsh, completely matching the tone and subject matter.

'Blood On The Dancefloor,' the title track and lead single, was written during sessions for 1991's Dangerous album. The song's style, composition and production continue the New Jack Swing sound that Teddy Riley pioneered in the 80s. Suzie, the antagonist Jackson sings of, is rumoured to be a metaphor for AIDS. She is a predatory woman who seduces Jackson before plotting to stab him with a knife.

Indicative of Jackson's popularity at the time in the United States, 'Blood On The Dancefloor' reached number fourty-two on the Billboard Hot 100. A dismal chart position for an artist of Jackson's calibre and even more so when you consider he had not released new music for almost two years by this point. In the UK however, and most of Europe, the song took the number one spot.

'Is It Scary' is another track Jackson uses to confront the public image he and the press had created, whilst cleverly hiding behind a metaphor. Originally intended for the Adamms Family Values soundtrack, Jackson decided to keep the song for himself, perhaps because it spoke so directly to those who had vilified him and created this monstrous image of him in the eyes of many onlookers.

'Am I amusing you / Or just confusing you / Am I the beast you visualised /And if you wanna see eccentric oddities / I'll be grotesque before your eyes,' Jackson spits on the track, which takes elements of goth rock, soul and operatic pop to create a haunting and dramatic song. The most telling line being, 'Am I scary for you?'

The anger, bitterness and resentment that Jackson was feeling towards Tom Sneddon, the District Attorney of Santa Barbara County and main prosecutor in the 1993 child molestation case, is further explored on 'Ghosts'.

A short film, Ghosts, was released which tells the story of a maestro with supernatural powers who is run out of a town by its plump, arrogant mayor. The actor playing the mayor (Michael Jackson) was carefully disguised to resemble to Tom Sneddon.

Jackson sings, probably to Sneddon, 'And who gave you the right to shake my family tree? / You put a knife in my back / Shot an arrow in me / Tell me are you the ghost of jealousy'

The album, which showed incredible originality and ingenious songwriting, sold 6 million copies worldwide, a fraction of the sales figures Jackson was used to securing for labels and as such has been regarded historically as a failure.

It's arguable, though, that these five original songs create the most accurate portrait of the man Michael Jackson became in the public eye. It's almost his own middle-finger-up to the world. You can almost here the subtext of these tracks - 'if you want me to be this monster, you want me to be terrifying, then here I am, enjoy'.

Following the album's release, Jackson didn't release new material until 2001's Invincible, which continued the themes present here, but also lent itself to more radio-friendly material and classic Jackson ballads. But as a portrait of a man who had gone through hell, this album deserves more attention than it received. The sad irony is that Jackson's life at this point was probably nowhere near as bad as it would be if we were to jump forward five years.

If Jackson had performed his This Is It tour as planned and released the inevitable album that would have coincided with, or would have been written on the tour, how angry would he have been then and how would he have chosen to vocalise it?

Blood On The Dancefloor is available to download on Amazon and iTunes

http://sosogay.co.uk/2013/lost-music-michael-jackson-blood-dancefloor/

I am wondering a bit about the facts presented here and there in this otherwise very interesting article--thanks for posting it! For example, MJ went into rehab in 93 not 94 and released the videotape about that around Christmas (after the horrible strip search) in 93 (and settled the suit shortly thereafter in 94).

The writer also claims that MJ released false stories about himself to the press to "increase his iconic status" but I haven't seen definitive proof of that. The writer says it was revealed (when? and by whom?) that MJ had released a story that he wanted top buy the elephant man's bones, but where is the evidence? We have heard the same thing about the hyperbaric chamber, but MJ denied he released both those stories in the Oprah interview (Feb 93). The source, as far as I can see, for the hyperbaric chamber story coming from MJ is traced to Charles Montgomery, editor of the National Enquirer, not really a credible source since he is tabloid editor and bound to try and make himself and his paper look good. (He says Dileo gave it to the paper but MJ said that the guy developing the photo leaked it to the tabs). Anyway, I sometimes think the tabs try and justify their attacks on MJ by claiming 'he started it" and yet where is the proof of that?

Re 'Is it Scary"--did MJ pull it or was it taken off by the promoters of the Adams Family Values after the 1993 scandal, which is what I have read elsewhere.

On the other hand-- great that BOTDF is getting the credit and attention it deserves. (And Joe Vogel has a good discussion of BOTDF as well, esp. about Morphine--Joe V discusses it in depth.)

It's almost his own middle-finger-up to the world.
Loved that. ^^
Interesting article. Glad BOTDF is getting some recognition. The 5 "new" songs are some of his most creative, I think.

BOTDF is one of my favourites. An interesting article despite some minor inaccuracies as noted by jamba above. Joe Vogel gives great coverage to the album in Man In The Music.

Fans always say that Invincible is his most underrated work but i think it's Blood On The Dance Floor cause a lot of people seem to forget that this album even exists or just dismiss it thinking that it's nothing more than a remix album.

BOTDF is more like an EP to me than an album, because I never listen to the remixes. However the 5 original songs are great. BOTDF, Is It Scary and Morphine are among my favorite songs ever.

Anyway, I sometimes think the tabs try and justify their attacks on MJ by claiming 'he started it" and yet where is the proof of that?

They definitely do. But even if he planted some innocent, fun stories about himself in the media, that does not justify the media's full character assassination after that, including, but not limited to, making up false stories about MJ commiting henious crimes. That's clearly crossing the line of fair play. The media know full well how showbiz works and that MANY stars plant stories about themselves in support of their image. They know that and they play along, but MJ had to be called out for it and even revenged? BS.

He forgot about „Superfly Sister”. <_<

Since tabloids weren't interested in the truth, Michael Jackson produced music, song's, to discredit the slander and speak volumes for himself, hence "Blood On The Dance Floor." The music on "Blood On The Dance Floor," is throbbing and pulsating. It's the tension Michael Jackson is releasing, which show's the volume of how deep this anger resonates, enough already!

Here's a little excerpt about the Elephant Man's bones-

Johnny Depp isn’t the only celebrity to show interest in the Elephant Man’s bones, Michael Jackson reportedly offered to buy them in 1987 for $1 million, but the hospital refused to sell out of respect for Merrick. The attempted purchase was the birth of the urban myth that the Elephant Man’s bones were actually in the possession of Jackson. (Though it has nothing to do with the Elephant Man’s skeleton, Johnny Depp’s portrayal of Willy Wonka in the 2005 remake Charlie and the Chocolate Factory drew numerous comparisons to Michael Jackson.)

http://starcasm.net/archives/227677

Elephant_Man_skeleton.jpg

Michael and Johnny Depp's portrayal as Willy Wonka are nothing a like

Great article but Blood On The Dance Floor to me is a album full of Unreleased music. Now this article could've been better if it mentioned my favorite song off there, superfly sister

Blood on the dance floor album is so amazing! The 5 new tracks are angry Mike at his best, vocally it just blows me away! In my opinion his vocals just got better and better as the years went by. And that album has the best percussion and experimental sounds layered on the tracks, nothing else sounds like it! It sounds innovative and like classic Michael Jackson at the same time!

it blows me away everytime when i hear blood on the dancefloor.
wasnt it recorded in 1990 for dangerous? actually "old" but it sounds so fresh on it.

Michael and Johnny Depp's portrayal as Willy Wonka are nothing a like

You can draw comparisons between them to be honest.
A) A similar hairstyle
B) Visually Johnny Depp in that movie was incredibly pale (depends on the lighting, but I remember for a lot of the film he was quite pale at times like the picture below), just like MJ's vitiligo caused him to be.
johnny-depp-wonka.jpg

C) Willy Wonka is a famous man who is largely reclusive, so was MJ around the time of the film (~2005).
D) The fact he's a bit on the 'weird' side, at least according to general public perception at the time.

I think in those ways he drew comparison to Michael. Not the best photo of Michael but it kinda gives you the idea:

hC773AE2F

And a silly gif I found while looking for that :p
omfg.gif

Willy Wonka and Michael sitting down and drinking coffee (maybe it's chocolate :) ), this pic is so great, I really love it.

You can draw comparisons between them to be honest.
A) A similar hairstyle
B) Visually Johnny Depp in that movie was incredibly pale (depends on the lighting, but I remember for a lot of the film he was quite pale at times like the picture below), just like MJ's vitiligo caused him to be.
johnny-depp-wonka.jpg

C) Willy Wonka is a famous man who is largely reclusive, so was MJ around the time of the film (~2005).
D) The fact he's a bit on the 'weird' side, at least according to general public perception at the time.

I think in those ways he drew comparison to Michael. Not the best photo of Michael but it kinda gives you the idea:

Similar hairstyle? No, not similar at all. The rest is OK. I think the director of the movie, Tim Burton was asked if his Willy Wonka was modeled after MJ and he said he was not. He said "Michael Jackson actually likes children while Willy Wonka did not."

To me another Tim Burton/Johnny Depp character, Edward Scissorshands is more reminiscent of Michael than Willy Wonka.

Similar hairstyle? No, not similar at all. The rest is OK. I think the director of the movie, Tim Burton was asked if his Willy Wonka was modeled after MJ and he said he was not. He said "Michael Jackson actually likes children while Willy Wonka did not."

To me another Tim Burton/Johnny Depp character, Edward Scissorshands is more reminiscent of Michael than Willy Wonka.

Well, it's not THAT similar but it is just enough that it does kind of remind me of MJ. Maybe it's just me. Very interesting quote though - I think I've heard it before :) Maybe it wasn't Burton's intention, but you can still draw some similarities between the two regardless !

I see no similarities between MJ and Depp's Willy Wonka what so ever. I hated Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka. I thought that he was a very annoying character. MJ has never acted the way Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka does.

and besides Gene Wilder is the true Willy Wonka

Back