Today in Michael Jackson History April 20th

qbee

Proud Member

Today in Michael Jackson History April 20th

HISTORICAL DATES

1972 - Michael Jackson is photographed by Michael Ochs at his Hollywood Hills home in Los Angeles California

1988 - Michael Jackson performs the 2nd of 3 nights of his BAD Tour at The Rosemont Horizon, Chicago Illinois.

- 'Michael's long-awaited autobiography 'Moonwalk', is released by Doubleday. Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis edited the book and wrote a three paragraph introduction. Michael wrote his autobiography, Moonwalk, in 1988 to tell the world what he's really all about. When the book first came out, he said, "I hope this book will clear up some misconceptions". Moonwalk debuted at number one on both the British newspaper 'The Times' and the 'Los Angeles Times' bestseller lists. Reaching number two in its first week on the The 'New York Times' Best Seller list and reached number one the following week. Within a few months of its release, Moonwalk had sold 450,000 copies in fourteen countries. Moonwalk was re-released on October 13, 2009, with a new foreword by Motown founder Berry Gordy.

1992 - Michael Jackson is in Chicago to film his video for Jam feat. Michael Jordan Kriss Kross & Heavy D

-Michael's single "They Don't Care About Us" debutes at #4 in U.K. They Don't Care About Us" is the fourth single from Michael Jackson's album HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I, released on March 31, 1996. The song remains one of the most controversial pieces Jackson ever composed. In the US, media scrutiny surrounding supposed antisemitic lyrics were the catalyst for Jackson issuing multiple apologies and re-recording the song with altered lyrics. The singer countered allegations of antisemitism, arguing that reviews had misinterpreted the context of the song, either unintentionally or deliberately. The song was accompanied by two music videos directed by Spike Lee. The first was shot in Brazil. The second video was shot in a prison and contained video footage of multiple references to human rights abuses. Commercially, the song became a top ten hit in all European countries and number one in Germany for three weeks. In the US, radio stations were reluctant to play the controversial composition; it, however, managed to peak at number 30 on the Billboard Hot 100.

- Michael performs 'Dangerous' in front of a live audience, at the taping of a special for Dick Clark's 50th Anniversary of 'American Bandstand' at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium,. The show, hosted by Dick Clark, is due to be broadcast on Network TV on May 3.

2009 - Michael starts the rehearsals for the "This Is It' concerts at Center Staging in Burbank, California with Kenny Ortega & Travis Payne.

PICTURE OF THE DAY

2w3x6a8.jpg

Michael Jackson photoshoot by Michael Ochs April 1972

2jb2sgi.jpg

Michael Jackson's autobiography Moonwalker 1988

t9gysg.jpg

Michael Jackson and Michael Jordan JAM 1992

10xd3iw.jpg

They Dont Care About Us single cover 1996

SONG OF THE DAY

They Don't Care About Us :yes:Immortal Version - Uncensored Alternate Edit - by DJ_OXyGeNe_8

http://youtu.be/UhJKHfpQNNI

VIDEOS OF THE DAY

Michael Jackson - Behind the scenes -The Making Of JAM 1992

http://youtu.be/u5oK29JC94Y

Michael performs Dangerous' for 50th Anniversary of 'American Bandstand' 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L0MWZsy96o

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"I think that is the mark of a true performer, to be able
to reach any audience around the world, any size."

~ Michael Jackson

* For your convenience > MJJC Index For all "Today In Michael Jackson History" Threads

* A major part of historical data comes from Michael Jackson: A Visual Documentary

Your support and comments are greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contribute to this thread by commenting, adding pictures, videos or any other information related to this day in MJ History. Please PM Qbee if you find any misinformation or broken links to pictures, videos etc.

They Don't Care About Us has a strong message, so it is a pity the media influenced radio stations decisions to not play it.

Michael always look so short next to tall people like Jordan. I cracked up when went between Jordan's legs trying to push them into a moonwalk. They must have really had fun on that set!!!

Wow, I never knew so many cool things happened on this particular day. I still get the giggles when MJ is fixing Jordan's feet at the end of the short film. :p

I looooove Jam its so cute yet fun to watch, when Michael is running after Jordan and jumping at him,lol. And didnt he say during PHM that Jordan's feet were like boats? :lmao: mann i really couldnt hold my laugh anymore. The two kiddies at 2.29 are so lovely, holding each other how someone holds his bff, you know?

Back