Today in Michael Jackson History March 16th

qbee

Proud Member

Today in Michael Jackson History March 16th

HISTORICAL DATES

- The Jackson 5 release new single, Never Can Say Goodbye, in the USA. It was written by Clifton Davis and produced by Hal Davis and was one of the group's most successful and covered song. "Never Can Say Goodbye" was a #2 hit on the Billboard Pop Singles chart and a #1 hit on the Billboard Black Singles chart in the USA. In the UK, it reached number thirty-three on the UK Singles Chart. An alternate version appears on the Jackson 5 CD "I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters" released in 2009.

1971 - At the 13th Annual Grammy Awards the Jackson 5 were nominated for "Best Contemporary Vocal Group" along with The Beatles, The Carpenters, Chicago, and Simon and Garfunkel. The song "ABC" was nominated in that category but the award went to the carpenters "Close to you" that year. The Jackson 5 was nominated twice for a Grammy, The second time was for best R&B group vocal performance of 1974 with ("Dancing Machine"). But Their first and only Grammy to date is the Grammy Hall of fame award in 1999, when "I Want You Back" was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

1974 - "Dancing Machine" enters the pop singles chart peaking at #2 and remains on the charts for 22 weeks. The single sells over 1 million copies in less than a month.

1974 - The Jackson 5 perform Dancing Machine & This Old Man/ABC at the Carol Burnett Show.

1975 - The J5 appear on the Cher Show and sing 'I Am Love', 'The World Is A Mess.

1992 - Michael Jackson's single "Remember The Time" was certified Gold

1992 - Michael is on the cover of JET magazine with an article of his trip to Africa

2002 - Michael Jackson is best man at the wedding of David Gest & Liza Minnelli celebrated in New York City. In front of aprox. 900 guests. The famous actress walked down the aisle in a Bob Mackie gown, following 13 bridesmaids, 13 groomsmen, two best men, two matrons of honor, two ushers, two flower girls and two flower boys at Manhattan’s Marble Collegiate Church. The brides long train on her Bob Mackie-designed white gown was held by best man Michael Jackson until maid of honor Marisa Berenson remembered her duties and picked up the slack. After the couple said their vows, guests joined them for a reception at the prestigious Regent Wall Street Hotel. The wedding was one of the most expensive celebrity weddings of all time, with an estimated cost of $3.5 million. Nearly 900 celebrity guests turned out to witness the marriage including; Diana Ross, Luther Vandross, Elton John and Kiss frontman Gene Simmons, actors Michael Douglas, Kirk Douglas, Anthony Hopkins, composer Andrew Lloyd Webber, and Donald Trump.

PICTURES OF THE DAY

29xdo2h.jpg

Michael is Best Man at Liza Minelli and David Gest wedding 2002

SONG OF THE DAY

Never Can Say Goodbye

[video=youtube_share;OVBqv23l5lc]http://youtu.be/OVBqv23l5lc[/video]

VIDEOS OF THE DAY

Jackson 5 perform Dancing Machine on Carol Burnett Show 1974

[video=youtube_share;l8d3abOsHr4]http://youtu.be/l8d3abOsHr4[/video]
http://youtu.be/l8d3abOsHr4

Jackson 5 -
Cher Show "I Am Love" 1975

[video=youtube_share;YndLAjzahPk]http://youtu.be/YndLAjzahPk[/video]
http://youtu.be/YndLAjzahPk

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“I was a veteran, before I was a teenager.”

~ Michael Jackson

* For your convenience > MJJC Index For all "Today In Michael Jackson History" Threads

* Also see > March ~ On This Day In Michael Jackson History - Monthly Calendar / Legacy Project forum

Your support and comments are greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contribute to this thread by commenting, adding pictures, videos or any other information related to this day in MJ History. Please PM Qbee if you find any misinformation or broken links to pictures, videos etc.

Funny about Michael holding the gown until the maid of honor remembered her duties. I liked the Carpenter song too. Interesting that the J5 did not win a lot of awards, so it was really only when Michael went solo that the family saw a lot of awards happening. Back in those days so many artists sang the same song, that at times I do not know if a song was written directly for a group or specific artist. For example, that song Never Can Say Goodbye, I heard Isaac Hayes sing it at a show. Now was the J5 the first group that sang that song? Do you know?

Nice to see the "back in the day" videos above.

Qbee I was buying the Carole Burnette show videos & have some of the ones with the J5 on it. I did not continue buying all in the series though. I would like to tell them to only send me those with Michael, but it seems Carole picked out a group that they are selling as a collection, & each month they send you the next 2.

Correction for MJ Historical Data: I just wanted to post this so MJ fansites who may read this can correct the record for this day in MJ history March 16 1971. I think it's important for MJ legacy thet we have an accurate record of MJ History. Every fan site I checked for a ref. has posted the J5 won a Grammy in 1971 for "ABC". It seems Someone back when posted the wong info and it has just been copied and pasted over the yrs. - After researching Grammy archives and other data out side the fan bases I found:

The J5 did NOT win the Grammy that year for "ABC". They were nominated but The Carpenters won for "Close to you". The Only Grammy J5 ever won was the 1999 Grammy Hall of fame Award for "ABC" I Hope this is helpful to those who want an accurate record for MJ History. I hope this is helpful and that others will do the same if they find any errors.

Back