Vanity-Fair: MJ`s Family: Inside Their Desperate Attempt to Oust Estate Executors

Annita

Proud Member
It comes in Novembre

http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/toc/contents-201211
cn_image.size.cover_vanityfair_300.jpg

Michael Jackson’s Family: Inside Their Desperate Attempt to Oust Estate Executors

Within hours of Michael Jackson’s death, the bizarre battle over his estate began. An adaptation of the author’s upcoming Jackson biography lays bare the clan’s desperate efforts—including an apparent abduction of its aging matriarch, Katherine—to oust the King of Pop’s executors, who have been accused of forgery and fraud.

who wrote this article? Hopefully it's not crazy Maureen Orth. I am hoping Tom Cruise and the Scientologists have shut her down for good

who is the author with upcoming biography? Could it be Forbes writer Zack O. Greenburg ?

Edited to add: Taraborelli had said he's done with MJ books. So it can't be him IMO.

I looked on the site its doesnt give the authors name. I would prefer it was Zack Greenburg

oh and although this is November issue it should be out everywhere by early to mid-october. I'll get the magazine if someone in the bigger cities doesn't get it first.

and I tweeted Zack Greenburg asking if he's the author of the article. I'll update here if he responds.

I know there is a guy who also worked for Rolling Stone who is working on a book about MJ. His name is Randall Sullivan and I think his book was promised to come out about this time so is it him maybe?

On Amazon it was advertised like this:

"In a sweeping biography of unprecedented depth, author Randall Sullivan examines the life and death of one of the world’s most prominent and misunderstood stars: Michael Jackson.

Beginning with his final departure from Neverland, Untouchable takes readers through Jackson’s final four years, as he shuttled from California to the Middle East, Ireland, Asia, the East Coast, and Las Vegas, planning to recapture his wealth and reputation with a comeback album and a series of fifty mega-concerts, for which he was rehearsing until the day before his death. Sullivan also delves deep into Jackson’s past, and the man that emerges is both naive and deeply cunning, a devoted father whose parenting decisions created international outcry, a shrewd businessman whose successes blew up in his face and whose failures nearly brought down a megacorporation, and an inveterate narcissist who wanted more than anything a quiet, solitary, normal life. Sullivan has never-before-reported information about Jackson’s business dealings and the pedophilia allegations that irreparably marked his reputation, and exclusive access to inner-circle figures including Jackson’s former attorney and business manager. The result is a remarkable portrait of Michael Jackson, a man of uncountable contradictions who continues to reign as the King of Pop."

I do not have high hopes about Sullivan's book. He used to write a book about Tupac and The Notorius B.I.G and according to reviews it had some racist remarks in it. Also he wrote an article about the Jackson family drama recently and to me he seems to be a bad and sloppy writer (Frank Branca...) and he seems to like conspiracy theories:

Former Rolling Stone reporter Randall Sullivan says Michael Jackson's siblings are going crazy over money
Led by Randy Jackson, Michael Jackson's siblings have convinced themselves that they have a way of obtaining control of King of Pop's estate.

BY RANDALL SULLIVAN / FOR THE NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Randall Sullivan, a former reporter for Rolling Stone, is the author of the forthcoming book “Untouchable: The Strange Life and Tragic Death of Michael Jackson” due in November. It is three years in the making, during which he gained unprecedented access to Jackson circles, including legal advisers and close associates. The following is Sullivan’s words on the current Jackson family crisis, as told to The News’ Sherryl Connelly:

Is anyone in this situation considering the welfare of Michael Jackson’s children? Katherine is a very sweet person. Marlon and Tito are human. The rest of them? I doubt it.

In a nutshell, certain members of the family, led by Randy Jackson, have convinced themselves that they have a way of obtaining control of Michael Jackson’s estate. The only way they can do that is to get Katherine Jackson to sign over power of attorney.

That would give them the ability to sue the estate. I think Katherine was deceived into a situation in which she is effectively being held hostage. I don’t mean physically, or that she might be harmed, but that she has been told a lot of lies. And she hasn’t been able to speak with anyone who would correct that. She did speak with the children yesterday.

I’m certain she isn’t being well advised. If she were in contact with her lawyers and advisers she wouldn’t be in this situation .

Randy and his father, Joe, have been determined to get control of the estate since the day Michael died. . . . Randy has a history that would make it certain that would never happen. . . . His own brother accused him of essentially stealing from him.

There is real anger and suspicion directed at Frank Branca (co-executor of the estate). Michael told many people that he felt that Branca had taken advantage of him. The family knows what that trust means. The Jackson family has access to the estate only as long as Katherine is alive. Once she dies, all of Michael’s siblings, his nieces and nephews are cut off.

Janet is the No. 2 in this, though she’s No. 1 in the power hierarchy. She’s become the new Michael of the family and she doesn’t want the family turning to her for handouts. Does she want Frank Branca brought down? I would just be guessing at what all of Janet’s motives might be.

There are risks for all of them.

If Katherine comes out of this and takes a stern approach, now they are truly cut off. And they’ve alienated the estate so the chance of anyone getting the deal that Jackie has — he’s called an adviser and is paid by the estate — is over. I thought Jermaine was working with the estate, getting a new record contract and getting included in the Cirque de Soleil show. I actually thought they had bought his cooperation.

As for the kids, they have had to deal with so much adult reality at such a young age. I think they understand who their aunts and uncles are, I’m not sure they fully understand what is happening now. I don’t know if they understand that their custody is on the line.

Fortunately the judge made a very wise decision.

If they persuade Katherine to sign something, I can’t imagine that litigation won’t be spreading in all directions. But the estate is not going to let this (the Jackson family to take control of the estate) happen.

I think there is a basis for suspecting the will. The one they publicly cited states that Michael signed the will at 5 p.m. on July 7, 2002, in Los Angeles. Michael was in New York for a four-day period covering that date making a very public display . . . protesting against Sony.

I don't know if the VF article was written by him, but it's his book that is expected to come out around this time.

sorry guys we couldn't find an appropriate section for this thread and for now we settled on "trials and tribulations" as it's about the Executors as well as Jacksons.

And Zack Greenburg said it's not his article. So I guess it's an article by Sullivan

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-in-reply-to="253218225763008512"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/ivy_4mj">ivy_4mj</a> Nope, sorry!</p>&mdash; Zack O. Greenburg (@zogblog) <a href="https://twitter.com/zogblog/status/253227187795283968" data-datetime="2012-10-02T20:17:20+00:00">October 2, 2012</a></blockquote>
<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks for checking ivy. frankly i doubt the author will be able to tell us anything we dont already know. but aslong ad they leave mj alone and go after the family for once i dont care

I know there is a guy who also worked for Rolling Stone who is working on a book about MJ. His name is Randall Sullivan and I think his book was promised to come out about this time so is it him maybe?

Yes, it's him.

http://www.medjugorjelive.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28499

In a recent article he called John Branca "Frank Branca" numerous times.

I don't have many expectations but at the very very very least it's not bloody Maureen Orth.

This is not going to trash Michael is it? I can't take those anymore.

This is not going to trash Michael is it? I can't take those anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I don't have much faith in Randall Sullivan, I suspect he believes some trashy easily debunked things about Michael.

I don't think his book will be very successful though, and if it's negative, I hope fans are united in writing reviews critiquing it and making sure any damage it does is limited.

Unfortunately time has taught us to be distrustful of such "biographies". And Sullivan's articles so far do not seem to be very promising either. They weren't negative so far, "only" sloppy and not well researched at all. So I too can imagine he will build on some tabloid crap, as usual.

They dont get book deal unless theres crap in it.and considering he cant even get names right... these ppl cant tell fans anything new as for the most part they are clueless.

I wonder if the family is behind this article???

Remember..............We were told it's not over.

well the article headline calls it a "desperate" attempt and the explanation says "apparent abduction". Those doesn't seem too Jackson friendly.

In his Frank Branca article he made it seem like he believed the will was fraudulent based on that whole date thing as a fact, but he didn't seem too positive about the Jacksons either. But that article was very sloppy and lazily put together, it didn't seem promising for him.

According to that forum which follows Randall, he wants the MJ book to be the most talked about book over the Christmas season. I think he's hugely optimistic over his own skills as a writer.

"According to that forum which follows Randall, he wants the MJ book to be the most talked about book over the Christmas season. I think he's hugely optimistic over his own skills as a writer. "

Do you have a link?

It's all depend about what he wrote on the allegations.

Last edited:
I posted it on the other page, it seems you need to register as a member now to view it. It's a religious forum because he wrote a previous book on religion and they seem to follow his career from there.

Re: the allegations, if everything else he's written has been so sloppy (Frank Branca!) and he's claimed to have spent 3 years researching Mike, I don't have any expectations about his observations on that end. Lazy journalists tend to be the worst with Michael. It's a book focusing on 2005-2009, and I wouldn't doubt that at best he's spoken to people like Jason Pfeiffer or Matt Fiddes and considers them credible.

They dont get book deal unless theres crap in it.and considering he cant even get names right... these ppl cant tell fans anything new as for the most part they are clueless.

Unfortunately that is true.

He wants his book to be the most talked about - doesn't sound good...
We all know that means sensationalism. We also know what the media requires to talk about an MJ book...

"BY RANDALL SULLIVAN / FOR THE NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
I thought Jermaine was working with the estate, getting a new record contract and getting included in the Cirque de Soleil show. I actually thought they had bought his cooperation."

Well, he is not very well informed if he thought they "bought" Jermaine's cooperation:D
First of all, if they did, Jermaine would have sold his cooperation, he swings any way where is the money.
Secondly, I doubt executors are paying for siblings cooperations, why would they?
If anything, they might pay consultation fees for Jackie and perhaps some of MJ's cousins from 3T.

Frank Branca:hysterical:
I wonder if he interviewed Frank Cascio or Frank Dileo for his book, and part of the name got stuck to his head.

Some reviews about his book on Tupac and Biggie. He seems very conspiracy minded and seems to have some racial bias:

As a fan of both Tupac and Biggie, I was very interested in learning more about what really went down. Former Officer Poole seems to think he has the answers so I was eager to learn what he knows so I could draw my own conclusions. Mostly, I was very disappointed - especially by the author's extreme bias. For example, on page 14 of the hardcover version, Sullivan notes that "[In the early 1960s], as now, black males committed a hugely disproportionate amount of crime in Los Angeles and across the country." WHAT? I can't even believe that went to print. Question: do black males commit a disproportionate amount of crime in this country or are they accused and convicted disproportionately? At the very least, if you're gonna make such outrageous comments, back it up. With no statistical data, I consider Sullivan's comment to be hearsay. Then, just a few pages later, on page 18, Sullivan gets a little diatribe going about how the LAPD hiring process has become less stringent over time, noting that "liberals had successfully argued that [baring applicants with juvenile records] limited the number of blacks and Hispanics who could join the LAPD." I'm not even 20 pages into the book, and my reading of the author is that he really doesn't like minorities or "liberals," whatever the latter term means to him because he sure doesn't define anything. Yet I decided to take these and similar comments with a grain of salt and press forward with the book.

I do think that Sullivan's style is extremely readable and engaging. I also like the way he attempted to provide background on the LAPD history, the history of the Crips and the Bloods, etc. If you're not likely to be critical going into this book, it's not bad for escapism. Unless you were living in a plastic bubble when these events took place, I doubt that you'll be blown away by the overall picture Sullivan paints.

If one-tenth of what's written in these pages is true, Biggie and Tupac were just as despicable as Suge Knight, the LAPD, the affiliated gangs, the attorneys and just about everyone else who graced the pages of the book. And that made me really sad because it's hard for me to listen to the music the same way. Tupac and Biggie were not innocent; they were just greedy [...] who courted violence successfully. Truthfully, none of the stuff about the LAPD or any of the other authority figures surprised me. Money and testosterone--bad combination. Lest you think I'm a man-hater, the women in this book are appalling, too. I hate to say it but Tupac and Biggie were victims of their own making.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/146345381

Sullivan comes across like Oliver Stone in JFK, making every possible connection he can and tying it all into a central&#8212;and intentionally vague&#8212;thesis of "There Is A Conspiracy!" Some of the items stick, I'm sure, but for all of Sullivan's shots leveled at the LA media (principally The Los Angeles Times) for being predisposed to dismissing a conspiracy angle, he's no better, just working from the flip side of that coin. Sullivan also comes across as a strangely prejudicial narrator, injecting his personal politics not overtly but at that just-beneath-the-surface level of a slightly off Vietnam veteran talking about the war. There may not be any actual racial slurs tossed or anything you can pinpoint as being obviously racist, but the tone and phrasing leaves no doubt what the opinion really is. It's evidenced even in the way Sullivan throws in disgusted asides about how white cops can't follow the evidence if it looks like it might lead to anyone black being accused of a heinous crime. The subtext of reverse racism is obvious and highly distasteful coming from the author of the book. If these kinds of accusations are pertinent to the material, a truly neutral journalist would let them come in quotations from sources.

I'm really rather torn about this book. On one hand, it's a fascinating look at a set of cases that will probably always be linked together, it's a wonderful conspiracy tale and an incredibly interesting, if frightening, look at a particular time in Los Angeles' history. On the other hand, the book is clumsily written and lacks a lot of journalistic integrity which makes it feel salacious. I suppose that may just come with the territory for conspiracy books (another example is Jim Marrs's Crossfire about the JFK assassination, which has the same grudging appeal to a reader like me), but one wishes there were somehow a more studious examination of the subjects out there.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/307907082

^^It wouldn't surprise me at all if he is racist, after all he worked for Rolling Stones. We all know how racist RS is against black artist.

"Sullivan has never-before-reported information about Jackson&#8217;s business dealings and the pedophilia allegations that irreparably marked his reputation, and exclusive access to inner-circle figures including Jackson&#8217;s former attorney and business manager."
I wonder which former attorney he is talking about and business manager might be Bain, I doubt he got an interview with Tohme.

If anything I hope he writes about "Wildfire of Madness" in the Jackson family since Michael died, how they all went crazy for money or lack of the money.

Last edited:
Annita;3718687 said:
It comes in Novembre

http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/toc/contents-201211
cn_image.size.cover_vanityfair_300.jpg

Michael Jackson’s Family: Inside Their Desperate Attempt to Oust Estate Executors

Within hours of Michael Jackson’s death, the bizarre battle over his estate began. An adaptation of the author’s upcoming Jackson biography lays bare the clan’s desperate efforts—including an apparent abduction of its aging matriarch, Katherine—to oust the King of Pop’s executors, who have been accused of forgery and fraud.

Roger Friedman mentioned Randall's book in his article last year,
"I have no doubt that fighting among fans who “know” it all will turn particularly vicious later this fall when books by Michael’s friend, Frank Cascio, and a muckracker named Randall Sullivan, are published. Also, Jermaine Jackson’s book is on its way.
http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/08/29/michael-jackson-would-have-been-53-today

He probably wasn't finished writing his book, and he later added "Wildfire of Madness" episode to his book, I suppose that episode is going to be must read:D

I just found a link for his book, apparently he interviewed Katherine's advisor (Trent?).
http://www.groveatlantic.com/?title=Untouchable

^Yes, that wildfire must have encouraged him to add extra chapters - the book originally was planning on being out by now. MJJc needs to get its rapid rebuttal unit into operation, i don't like the sound of it - the book that is. To be called a muckraker by roger is the ultimate insult. As for the article, agree with elusive, can't imagine this guy's article will add much to our sum of knowledge.

Michael Jackson&#8217;s burial was delayed for nearly three months due to wrangling between Janet Jackson and her brother&#8217;s estate, a detail revealed in a November Vanity Fair&#8211;exclusive excerpt of Untouchable, Randall Sullivan&#8217;s Michael Jackson biography, which will be published next month. According to Sullivan, Janet put up the $40,000 deposit at Forest Lawn to secure a spot for Michael but refused to let the funeral take place until the money was repaid.
Ronald Williams, of Talon Executive Services&#8212;a private-security company that dispatched a team to Michael Jackson&#8217;s rented château in Holmby Hills on the night of his death&#8212;tells Sullivan that hours after Jackson died, La Toya and her boyfriend, Jeffre Phillips, arrived at the house demanding to be admitted. &#8220;We&#8217;re family and we should have access to the house,&#8221; they reportedly said.
Sullivan reports that mother Katherine Jackson also arrived that night and entered the house, where she telephoned Grace Rwaramba, the recently terminated longtime nanny to Michael&#8217;s children. According to Rwaramba, Katherine said, &#8220;Grace, the children are crying. They are asking about you. They can&#8217;t believe that their father died. Grace, you remember Michael used to hide cash at the house? I&#8217;m here. Where can it be?&#8221; Rwaramba described Michael&#8217;s standard practice of hiding his cash in black plastic garbage bags and under the carpets. Talon describes seeing La Toya and her boyfriend loading black plastic garbage bags into duffel bags and placing them in the garage. (La Toya insists that nearly all of Michael&#8217;s money was gone by the time she arrived at the Holmby Hills house.)
The next morning, Janet Jackson arrived with a moving van and demanded to be admitted. A few hours later, the truck exited through the front gate with Jeffre Phillips at the wheel. Katherine Jackson and her daughters made it clear that they wouldn&#8217;t be leaving anytime soon. &#8220;They camped out for most of a week,&#8221; Williams tells Sullivan, leaving and returning &#8220;whenever they felt like it.&#8221;
Katherine Jackson&#8217;s representatives shared details of her recent &#8220;abduction&#8221; with Sullivan, who describes what happened from her perspective for the first time. One of Katherine Jackson&#8217;s representatives tells Sullivan that it was Janet Jackson who on July 14, 2012, arranged for Dr. Allen Metzger to go to the Calabasas mansion, where her mother had been living with Michael&#8217;s three children. Metzger was introduced as an associate of Mrs. Jackson&#8217;s longtime Beverly Hills physician and told that her doctor wanted her to have a physical before she went to Albuquerque for her sons&#8217; Unity Tour. After a brief examination, Metzger told Katherine Jackson that her blood pressure was elevated and that it would be best for her not to make the trip to New Mexico by car as she had planned. Katherine left the next morning with her daughter Rebbie and her granddaughter Stacee Brown and Mrs. Jackson&#8217;s personal assistant. It wasn&#8217;t until they arrived at the airport that Katherine realized they weren&#8217;t headed to Albuquerque but rather to Tucson, where she was booked at the Miraval Resort & Spa. Janet Jackson was there when she arrived.
The representative tells Sullivan that Dr. Metzger had no association with Mrs. Jackson&#8217;s physician and that she had not sent him to see Mrs. Jackson. Dr. Metzger was, in fact, the same doctor who had been called as a defense witness at the trial of Conrad Murray, the physician convicted of providing the drugs that killed Michael Jackson. He had also been reprimanded by the state medical board for writing prescriptions for Janet Jackson under false or fictitious names.
Katherine&#8217;s grandson T. J. Jackson, and others who were looking after Michael&#8217;s children at his Calabasas home, soon deduced that the five Jackson siblings&#8212;who that same week had sent a letter to Michael&#8217;s executors asking them to resign and claiming that their mother had suffered a mini-stroke&#8212;now reportedly with Katherine in their custody were, in the view of Mrs. Jackson&#8217;s representatives, attempting to gain a conservatorship over her, possibly by demonstrating her incompetence to serve as guardian of Michael&#8217;s children. They hoped to gain control of their brother&#8217;s fortune, which would follow Prince, Paris, and Blanket wherever they went.
Sullivan explores the question of how John Branca, a lawyer who was fired by Michael Jackson in 2003&#8212;and is now earning tens of millions of dollars as an executor of the Michael Jackson estate&#8212;managed to retain possession of a will he should have handed over with all of Jackson&#8217;s papers to a new attorney, David LeGrand. &#8220;I had access to every file and I had to go through them,&#8221; LeGrand tells Sullivan. &#8220;And I did. There was no will. There was no trust. It just showed up after he died.&#8221; (Branca, though his attorney, declined to comment.)
John Branca, has said that the will he presented to the Jacksons in July 2009 was greeted by the family with applause, but Katherine Jackson remembers the meeting differently. &#8220;According to her, the atmosphere went from quiet to glum,&#8221; Sullivan reports. &#8220;She personally was offended that John Branca never once said how sorry he was for her loss. The man was cold, Mrs. Jackson thought, just as Michael had described him: &#8216;My son had told me and the kids that he never wanted Branca to be any part of his business ever again.&#8217;&#8221;

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2012/10/michael-jackson-burial-delayed-janet-jackson-deposit

Back