Reviews Of Man In the Music By Those Who Bought And Read the Book

billyworld99

Proud Member
1. By Rebecca Rockwell (Carpinteria, CA, USA)
As a passionately devoted Michael Jackson fan (I was blessed enough to have been able to attend his memorial at the Staples Center), and as a musician and fellow published writer, there are many things I could say about this book. But I think the main thing that needs to be said is that in writing a book that focuses on Michael's work rather than attempting to dissect his personal life, Joseph Vogel has, I feel, more accurately and honestly captured who Michael was than any tawdry or dirt-dishing biography ever has or could. Michael WAS his music, and the music was Michael. It's time we all took a minute to give the man's unquestionable musical genius some credit without picking apart every scandalized lie he was beaten down with in the press. This book makes the reader remember just WHY Michael was the one and only King of Pop; unfortunately it also makes his loss all the more painful and deeply felt. We as fans lost a genius songwriter, musician and dancer; the associates interviewed in this book lost a mentor, teacher and FRIEND. Thank you, Mr. Vogel, for writing a well-written, well-crafted and thorough book that should have been written years ago, and for presenting it in a way that makes it easier for people to understand a man who was so greatly misunderstood in life. I wish Michael were still alive to appreciate the gesture. He would have loved this book!

2. By happyforever (USA)
There are so many books talking about Michael Jackson but very few are focusing fully on his music. Michael Jackson is an artist which people tend to forget. This book reminds people about this fact and focus only on his music and creating process. The pictures and printing are all nice. Most important, it gives lots of information about MJ's records as solo artist. For all time, I always wanted to find a book that will analyze MJ's songs. This is the book I was looking for for so long. I just wish that MJ actually can saw this published when he was alive. People should really go back an relive MJ's music and cherish his genius. For MJ fans, this is a must buy. For general public, it tell you the Michael Jackson as a professional artist.

3.By trudy
I love this book, it takes you through a journey that allows you to see the creative process that Micheal goes through to write his music.
It is an intellectual book about the mans music.

4.By Constance (NY USA)
Scholars, fans, and even on-the-fence doubters will find Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson by Huffington Post writer Joseph Vogel, not only an enthralling read, but a gateway into a revised perception of one of the most mysterious and massively influential artists of our time. This is definitely not another run of the mill sensationalist work.

Vogel skillfully guides the reader through the remarkable chapters of Jackson's professional career, fully capturing the cultural vibe of the `80s and `90s, while analyzing the particularities of Jackson's creative process from inception to aesthetic fulfillment. It seems the author desires to move beyond exclusively "preaching to the choir" of Jackson's loyal fan base, and has an even more expansive and restorative intention in mind.

Vogel's narrative unfolds in a unique album-by-album mode, so Jackson's career is revealed through intricately woven stories that are chronologically linked with the creation of his music. This odyssey reminds one of a mythic "hero's journey," as it evokes the visceral emotion of artistic conquest. Throughout the process, Vogel explicates Jackson's music, performance art, cinematic short films, and aesthetic incarnations, as well as exploring Jackson's myriad eclectic influences.

The book's success is due, in large part, to a trilogy of strengths the author possesses as an academic scholar and also a writer on popular culture. Vogel manages to fuse a penchant for research with an engaging gift of journalistic storytelling. Rare, however, is the sense of spiritual exegesis he also provides. This literary alchemy gives the reader an entirely fresh and valuable comprehension of Jackson as a culturally transformative artist. Vogel's book also illuminates the voluminous breadth, depth and influence of his artistic oeuvre.

The reader experiences firsthand the gentle singer-songwriter's coming of age, his groundbreaking musical prowess, and his emergence as a humanitarian emissary for the disadvantaged and alienated. We are reminded that Jackson (a voracious reader of Emerson) was a transcendental visionary who called for healing the world through compassion, community, and environmental stewardship.

The author offers a Joycean sensibility as he paints his archetypal "portrait of the artist as a young man" with a discerning eye. Vogel irrevocably raises the bar for future critical analysis of Jackson's art and cultural import, as he portrays his subject as an artist of stature amidst a constituency of the most influential and prescient artists of all time. One hopes the sincerity of Vogel's efforts will prompt inchoate scholarship on this subject to burgeon.

Vogel's personal interviews document the rich and sundry details offered by a plethora of Jackson's musical collaborators, technical producers, and artistic associates. These remembrances add surprise and synchronicity to the more familiar aspects of Jackson's complex life history. Included among the recollections are those of musical giants Quincy Jones, Rod Temperton, Teddy Riley, Bruce Swedien, Rodney Jerkins, Buz Kohan, Brad Buxer and many others.

Vogel, a Huffington Post writer on politics and popular culture, is also a doctoral candidate at the University of Rochester where his scholarship focuses on 18th century poets Blake and Wordsworth. Since he emerges out of an academic perspective on the history of literature and the arts, he is able to credibly position Jackson amidst a much broader contextual background than the many apocryphal works by authors who leapt too eagerly onto the greed-bandwagon following the artist's untimely death.

It is interesting to note that Vogel began research for this book almost six years ago. This was during a time when Jackson was often treated by publishers and much of the public as a social leper. Vogel wanted to correct what he perceived as a terrible injustice and return the conversation to the genius of Jackson's art and his global transformative cultural import.

Vogel later made a conscious choice to refrain from publishing his material immediately following Jackson's death. Hence, his biography includes analysis of Jackson's posthumously released works, as well as reflections on the nature of the artist's ultimate legacy. Vogel's insight and impeccable research do much to relieve the ignominy this artist suffered in life from a rapacious media.

Vogel utilizes a Picasso-like construct in his ability to see his subject from multiple angles simultaneously, thereby rendering a multidimensional portrait. Formulaic tabloid stereotyping and long-standing racial binaries are finally exploded and cast aside. Vogel's readers will experience Jackson anew as a fine artist, cultural troubadour, and shamanic performer, because he is perceived through a lens that clarifies instead of mystifies.

Perceptive, metaphoric, and humane, Vogel's Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson is certainly the defining biographical work to date regarding this artist. The revelatory nature of Jackson's art, and Jackson's under reported international initiatives for social justice, surely deserve this long over due literary retrospective.

The book's stunning photographs make this volume attractive to appreciators of all art genres. It is especially meaningful to note the author has dedicated his book to Jackson's three children. One imagines they will be grateful, for Vogel offers respect and appreciation to the father they loved.

5. By Bruce Aguilar (Hollywood, CA)
Michael Jackson is on record as saying he attempted to fuse his soul to his music in an effort to escape death. What better way then to understand the man than through his music? Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson does just that, focuses on the inspiration, creation, reaction and historical context of Michael Jacksons considerable library of music. I think this is the first time that anyone has shone such a finely tuned light on the subject that made the world fascinated with Michael Jackson in the first place.

Whether you're a dyed in the wool fan, a musician, or just someone curious about music this will make fascinating reading. Joseph Vogel walks readers chronologically through Michael Jackson's albums first covering the album as a whole before discussing each song individually. Mr. Vogel's research includes interviews with technicians and musicians who worked with Jackson who provide insightful glimpses into the creative process. The work even includes information on a number of unreleased songs from Jackson as well as his posthumously released material.

Undoubtedly this is the definitive book on Michael Jackson's music and therefore of the man as well. It's easy to imagine perceptions being changed and reassessed from the analysis and discussion in this comprehensive and respectful work. A treasure trove that should not be missed. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?

6. By Kris Heywood "friendinneed" (Oregon)
just finished the much-awaited book Man In The Music. It was a pleasure to read. Mr. Vogel did a fantastic job of interpreting Michael's albums and his musical career. I believe this will long be a reference work, and hope its success will encourage other music critics to join the discussion about Michael's genius. With Mr. Vogel's help I happily revisited most of MJ's songs. I recommend this book highly to anyone who is ready to hear the truth about the King of Pop's astounding work.
If I have one criticism, it is that even with his best intentions Mr. Vogel sometimes gets caught up in tabloid speculations masquerading as facts. I wish he hadn't included Taraborrelli's interpretation of events, but even so, I'd say 98 percent of Vogel's opinions and critiques are right on. It can't get much better than that

7. By Stephanie (Sacto, CA)
Finally an academic, comprehensive book about Michael Jackson's music and artistry. This book focuses big time on the music, providing a chapter for each solo album. It reviews the process for making each album, and each individual song as well. Vogel's book is a great academic achievement. Michael was very dedicated to his work and craft, and this is the first book that really goes behind the scenes and provides some insight into how he developed each song. There are a few books that analyze his music, but they usually stop with Bad or Thriller. However, Michael's music from 1990 and later was quite different, and in many ways broke barriers in content and social messaging. This is the first book to really delve into those later years. I can see this becoming a textbook for future Michael Jackson "degrees".
http://www.amazon.com/Man-Music-Cre...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I would like to get this book. This will be a dumb question but is it safe to buy on amazon? Using your credit card. I always go the store to buy something.

I bought the book when it came out plus the paperback of Earth Song.
I knew most of all written in these books with about a 45% new detail/info. slide on both books. I'm one of those who research alot about people and things that I'm into.. and the creative - visionary force within me is able to connect a full picture with those bases infused.
Above all this book is one that every Michael Jackson fan/admirer or music lover should own.

Last edited:
I'm even more excited to get this book!!! :yes:

http://mjtpmagazine.presspublisher....icle/ten-things-i-love-about-man-in-the-music

Over the years there have been a lot of books written about Michael Jackson. Most were about his personal life, his struggles, or his character – some honorable, some not – so I was pleased to finally read a book dedicated entirely to his creativity. Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson celebrates the excellence of an amazing artist.

Joe Vogel details the time, talent, and creative process involved in Michael’s albums taking us back to the decade each one was created in. He helps us get a feel for the nature of the songs Michael wrote, by highlighting what was going on in the world, within music, and in Michael’s life during that time period. He includes the actual critic’s reviews of that time once the songs were released, both positive and negative. It gives the reader a feeling of being back in that decade experiencing it as it was happening.

He captures beautifully the perfection that Michael embodied as an artist, providing examples about his incredible work ethic. He depicts the exhaustion, the excitement, the disappointment and the final elation that came with the release of each album.

We get a glimpse into Michael’s creative genius and talent, learning about the unique ways he used his voice, his choice of words, and his knowledge of music to create a specific effect and convey a particular emotion through every song. The book superbly demonstrates why Michael Jackson is untouchable as an artist.

Since Joe has broken down the chapters by specific albums I will write Ten Things I Love about the book using that same format.

Introduction

I love that he started out writing about Michael’s bond with his fans and how it came to be through the gift of his music. He correctly establishes that fans aren’t “passive spectators” but a “vibrant community” who have always been dedicated to giving and receiving love from Michael Jackson.
The fan comments he included in this section fantastically illustrate the impact he has had on people all over the world. One woman’s story in reaction to Michael’s death especially touched me. She is a white woman who told of the beating she received when she uttered the innocent comment of “He’s cute” while watching the Jackson 5 on TV when she was 11 years old. It was a poignant and powerful story considering that Michael has now brought together people from all nations, races, religions and backgrounds and united them into a strong cohesive community.

Off The Wall

Off The Wall is one of my favorite albums. I couldn’t help but smile when reading about “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough.” Joe knows how to word things in a way that describes exactly how the song makes you feel. For example, he notes how the tension builds inside of you as Michael starts to whisper, “You know, I was wondering… When Michael gets to the part about “the force, it’s got a lot of power” you know something magical is about to happen and Joe puts you right into the heart of the song with his description of it. He wrote about how Michael yelps into “uninhibited confidence, energy, and sheer joy.” It was so effective that I literally had to put the book down for a few minutes and go watch the video. I love that song!

He also demonstrates how vocally talented Michael really was by writing about the ranges he reached in songs like “Off The Wall.”

Thriller

What I love about this chapter is the attention Joe paid to Michael’s incredible work ethic. The reader will come away understanding how hard he worked to make this the greatest selling album of all time. He worked months on end, day and night, “planning, creating, rehearsing, recording and polishing” only to find that in the end “it was a disaster” as Quincy Jones said.

You get to experience Michael’s profound disappointment and devastation in feeling that the album didn’t meet his expectations. I love how Joe captured the scene in that moment, detailing Michael’s tears, shock, silence and anger. Thriller is a wonderful example of why you should never give up. Despite his disappointment, Michael went back to work…and look at the result he produced; a true testament to his greatness as an artist.

BAD

One interesting fact I learned in this chapter is that the album cover for BAD was originally supposed to be a picture of Michael’s face covered in black lace. I’ve seen that picture many times and always wondered where it came from; now I know. Joe explains why the record company wouldn’t use it for the album: “Executives at Epic were horrified, fearing it would reinforce his ‘weird,’ feminine persona.”

My favorite song on the BAD album is “Man In The Mirror.” I love Joe’s explanation of Michael recording it. “He began feeling his way into its rhythm, words, and meaning, intuitively shaping and molding it.” Although the message of “Man In The Mirror” is important, Joe made me realize that the magic of the song has less to do with its message but more to do with Michael’s vocal interpretation of it and he explains that so eloquently.

Dangerous

I think Dangerous is probably my favorite album. As Joe demonstrates, this was a time period for Michael in which he transitioned to more socially conscious music, producing hits such as “Keep the Faith,” “Heal The World,” and “Black or White.” What I found interesting in this chapter is that Joe acknowledged the fact that many of the critics were not able to critique the album objectively because their own perceptions of Michael had been negatively influenced due to all the tabloid fodder.

Yet, he illustrated beautifully how the fans are the ones who determine the success of an album, not the critics, by pointing out that “Dangerous became Jackson’s most successful album internationally and his second-most successful in total worldwide sales, behind only Thriller.”

HIStory

One of the songs that resulted from this time period is “Scream.” It was a song that allowed Michael to fight back against the intense scrutiny he had been receiving for the past few years. The song received criticism, of course, because as Joe pointed out “critics were lined up and ready to fire.” Due to the allegations of molestation he had been accused of, Joe depicts accurately how Michael had been dehumanized in the eyes of some people, which influenced their opinions of his music.

However, “Scream” soared to #5 on the Billboard charts as Joe indicated. It was the highest debut in the thirty-seven-year history of the Billboard Hot 100. What I love about this book is that Joe has a way of negating the critics by demonstrating the facts. Nice work Joe!

Oh! And the picture on page 185 is one of my favorites!

Blood On The Dance Floor

Man In The Music contains tidbits that the average person might not know. For instance, I did not know that the short film “Ghosts” was originally going to be a video to promote Addams Family Values. There are little gems like that all over in the book.

Invincible

Invincible has some truly beautiful music on it, some of Michael’s best in my opinion, but once again, Joe writes about how the critics were unable to be objective about it because they were too focused on his perceived eccentricities instead. He indicates that a feud between Michael Jackson and Tommy Mottola created discord in the relationship causing Sony to stop promoting the album. As a result, sales plummeted.

Yet, he recognizes that Invincible sold more than ten million copies. His attention to this detail shows his understanding that despite their best efforts, fans came through for Michael. He confirms that by highlighting the fact that “Invincible was voted the “best album of the decade” by readers of Billboard.com.”

The Final Years

Joe writes in detail about the This Is It concert series Michael was planning on doing before he passed away, but what I loved most about this chapter was that he revealed a project Michael was engaged in regarding composing a classical music album. Evidently he had already created several pieces and was working with an award-winning composer named David Michael Frank. Unfortunately the project was never completed, but I echo Frank Dileo’s comments that Joe included in the book about it, “I hope one day his family will decide to record this music as a tribute and show the world the depth of his artistry.”

Miscellaneous

In addition to the things I have highlighted, there is so much more I love about this book, such as the pictures he included. Many of the pages house a magnificent image of Michael. It makes the book so much more engaging. It made me smile every time I turned a page and saw a picture of Michael on it.
If you are a die-hard fan, you probably know the number 7 has played a significant role in Michael’s life. I noticed Joe picked up on that in several areas.

Dangerous is 77 minutes long.

HIStory, had to have 7 minutes trimmed from it due to having too much material on the album.

And Invincible was 77 minutes long.

He couldn’t have ended the book in a better way. Joe paints images in our minds about the state of the planet using “Earth Song.” He outlines how Michael was planning on driving home the point to his audiences that it is not the machines destroying our world, but the people. He leaves us with the memory of Michael telling us that to change the world, it starts with us.

Man in the Music depicts perfectly why Michael Jackson is the world’s greatest entertainer. I highly recommend it.

Linda Higgins

jermjackson5 Jermaine Jackson
Likewise, @JoeVogel1's book 'Man In The Music' celebrates Michael's songs and artistry in a wonderful way on a journey through his music
9 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I just read part of this book, and I am very very touched and impressed. I hope all of you buy this book. It is totally worth it. You will have a lot more insight in the genius that is Michael Jackson. Maybe one day the rest of the critics will will have a change of heart and revisit Michael's work from Dangerous forward and understand how epic they were the the music in general.

why is the book under review on amazon??

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Music-Creative-Michael-Jackson/dp/1402779380/ref=pd_sim_m_3

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

So far I've only read the introduction and the chapter on Off The Wall, but already I feel this is a seminal work on Michael's creative and artistic legacy. As you read it, you want to finish the chapter in record time so you can play the album being discussed and immerse yourself in it in an entirely new way. As soon as I finished the chapter on OTW I played the album from start to finish and felt I uncovered an array of new layers to the album I've not heard before. That is the beauty of Michael's music, and the book certainly provides that feeling. Joe is not only an excellent writer, but he examines the creative process in such a sincere way. He highlights beautifully Michael's god-given talent, passion, drive, dedication, perfectionism and sheer brilliance as a lyricist, composer, arranger and vocalist. It is recognition of the highest order. I love it.

I love this book, however II thought he was going to suspect each song like every sound he used and the lyrics like word by word ... But it was still good , these are the book I love reading since the other may be honest but have some sad parts and i hipe this is the first of many books to come.

I love this book, however II thought he was going to suspect each song like every sound he used and the lyrics like word by word ... But it was still good , these are the book I love reading since the other may be honest but have some sad parts and i hipe this is the first of many books to come.

What do you mean with this exactly? Not really sure i understand...

It sounds like a must own book for any true fan, sick of these books about his personal life, something that ain't even other people's business. This is the thing i'd like to read, wasn't there also another book about working with MJ...was't it by Bruce Swedien? Awhile ago already though...but i don't read much.

^^Bruce swedian's book, i think it was called mj in the studio, was actually written before mj died and published not long after, and from reviews seemed as if they added mj's name to the title to garner sales as it didn't seem to be primarily about mj. I seem to remember the reviews were pretty poor as it seemed very focussed on the technical process and there weren't the insights into working with mj that a fan might like.

I got my vogel book last week, it's a nicely produced book with lovely photos, really recommend it. Just read up to end of bad so far. Hadn't realised the media backlash was so severe against mj after the mid 80s esp in usa. Bad sold more than thriller in uk, but it seems to have underperformed in the us in relation to other records out that year, so the negative media seemed to beginning to impact mj's US presence.

Last edited:
A must have book for all fans. truly amazing, from the hard work joe Vogel commited to the quality of the book, this is the most stunning book I have read about mj. It's the shame a tabloid tell all book got more attention than this amazing hard work.

lol - i probably buy more stuff on amazon than at a regular store at this point. I wish this book was on Kindle though. On a related note, I just finished the Bruce Swedien book, which I think is the worst edited book I've ever come across. The intentions might have been good, but it was really badly put together . . . to the point of repeating large passages 2-3 times in different places and a lot of times being nonsensical like starting to explain something and then changing topics without finishing. Hope the Vogel book is much better.

What do you mean with this exactly? Not really sure i understand...

It sounds like a must own book for any true fan, sick of these books about his personal life, something that ain't even other people's business. This is the thing i'd like to read, wasn't there also another book about working with MJ...was't it by Bruce Swedien? Awhile ago already though...but i don't read much.
Sorry, I just wrote too fast On my iPod. What I was trying to say is that even though I love this book, and I recommend this to every music lover. I thought he was going to go through every single verse of every single song more detailed,, like dissecting every verse of the song, and talk about what instruments he used, the meaning of it... hope you can understand me this time

http://www.mjfanclub.net/home/index...sic-a-review&catid=1:announcements&Itemid=145

“In many ways, an artist is his work.” That's a direct quote from Michael Jackson and truer words were never spoken. It is also the overall feeling one gets when reading Joe Vogel's Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson. Vogel tackles the very daunting task of examining Jackson's entire body of solo work beginning with his first adult effort, 1979's Off The Wall and continuing on through 2001's Invincible and he attempts to do so not through the jaded lens of tabloid scandal and innuendo that we so often see in critical assessments of Jackson's art but through fair and unbiased analysis of the work itself. Reading this book is like being a fly on the wall of Jackson's mind: one can't help but feel at times as though they've been granted exclusive access into the studios to watch the music being created.

One of Man in the Music's greatest strengths is that it deals with each individual album separately, focusing not only on the music but also on the back story. Vogel gives a bit of a history lesson with each album so the reader understands where the world was at the time. In this way, we get a sense of where Jackson was professionally, personally – and to some extent – emotionally as well. All factors that influenced his art in profound ways. And by speaking to many of Jackson's musical collaborators, Vogel weaves that back story with first hand accounts of recording sessions and conversations, giving us an even deeper look into Jackson's creative process.

The downside of this history lesson is that Vogel, at times – and perhaps unavoidably, falls prey to the inevitable discussion of Jackson's legal troubles. In his defense, it is nearly impossible not to touch on this aspect of Jackson's history; especially when looking seriously at his body of work since – like any great artist – Jackson used the controversy surrounding him as inspiration. So much of his later work was clearly influenced by what he went through. But even though Vogel gives us the back story on these controversies, the book does not disintegrate into the dismissive, negative commentary that we usually see in works on Jackson. Instead, Vogel uses this history to show us how Jackson coped with the tension, drawing on it to create some truly profound music.
joe_cover_sleeve.jpg

Within each album chapter there is a repeated structure. First the back story, then an in-depth break down of each song within the album: a section that reveals priceless glimpses into Jackson's creative process and his often obsessive perfectionism. This is followed by a section of snapshots of other, “unreleased” songs that were written and/or recorded by Jackson during the same time period but never included on a proper album.

Also within each album chapter, Vogel highlights many of Jackson's short films and live performances as well, giving them as much care and attention to detail as he has given to each individual song, focusing on Jackson's art in a very pragmatic way.

Vogel's voice is straightforward and practical. He examines Jackson's work with the keen perception of a die-hard fan mixed with the quiet authority of a seasoned pop-culture critic. His appreciation of Jackson and his craft is both evident and unapologetic.

What really sets Man in the Music apart from other critical works on Michael Jackson's art is that it is somewhat unique. Never have we seen such a truly unbiased, positive review of Jackson's vast body of work presented in book form. Every Jackson fan will certainly want to add this one to their collections; it is an absolutely unbeatable reference guide. But, also every casual music fan, every pop culture fan and anyone who has ever had a passing curiosity about the King of Pop and what made him tick – and what made him the greatest entertainer of all time – will find this book fascinating.

Man in the Music is released on Tuesday, November 1. You can find it in your local Barnes & Noble bookstore. It is also available for purchase Online Here at the MJFC Shop, now powered by Amazon.

So far, I'm enjoying the book. I've read the chapters on Off the Wall and Thriller. Although, I must admit, when I finished each chapter, I felt a bit weird, like I wanted more. Not necessarily in length, but in content. Even though Michael is definitely praise-worthy, I feel like more should be focused on why he is incredible rather than just saying how amazing he is. But I have to admit, one of the highlights for me is that, after reading the chapter on Off the Wall, for example, I felt like I was transported back to the late 1970s, he really does a great job of describing what was happening at the time culturally, without diverging too much. But I was certainly expecting more info on how particular songs came to be, like stories that he may have learned from people that worked with Michael. For example, "...and that was how this song came to be", or "this is how they were inspired to create this melody." It also seemed like he was going to tackle the lyrics or atleast some highlights of the verses from each song, smilar to the what he did with the Earth Song book. But that's not a big deal. I just feel that there should have been more about behind the scenes of how the songs came to be, like when it was describe how Thriller or Billie Jean came about, I think on the 2001 special edition of thriller. Those kinds of warm stories that few people know about.

BUT, I still enjoyed it very much, not to mention I'm still on the third chapter. I would highly recommend this book to any MJ fan. Oh, and another thing, as someone had pointed out somewhere, Vogel relies quite heavily on quotes from music critics and their opinions. On the one hand, it sort've makes sense, since the music critics should have a unique take on the quality of the music, but on the other hand, why do I need to read so much about how other people think MJ's work is so amazing, I already know that. I want you to show me WHY so that I can come to that conclusion myself (as a reader), and go wow, thats so cool, MJ really was amazing and his work is a masterpiece. Ofcourse, I'm speaking as a casual reader, otherwise I obviously know that Michael's a genius. Anyway, I'm gonna jump into Chapter 3. Hope this review-in-progress was helpful. For those who read the book, do you agree with some of the points I brought up?

I just received mine today ! So, I'll have a quick dinner, hot chocolate in a thermos on the bedside table and .... See you later !

So far, I'm enjoying the book. I've read the chapters on Off the Wall and Thriller. Although, I must admit, when I finished each chapter, I felt a bit weird, like I wanted more. Not necessarily in length, but in content. Even though Michael is definitely praise-worthy, I feel like more should be focused on why he is incredible rather than just saying how amazing he is. But I have to admit, one of the highlights for me is that, after reading the chapter on Off the Wall, for example, I felt like I was transported back to the late 1970s, he really does a great job of describing what was happening at the time culturally, without diverging too much. But I was certainly expecting more info on how particular songs came to be, like stories that he may have learned from people that worked with Michael. For example, "...and that was how this song came to be", or "this is how they were inspired to create this melody." It also seemed like he was going to tackle the lyrics or atleast some highlights of the verses from each song, smilar to the what he did with the Earth Song book. But that's not a big deal. I just feel that there should have been more about behind the scenes of how the songs came to be, like when it was describe how Thriller or Billie Jean came about, I think on the 2001 special edition of thriller. Those kinds of warm stories that few people know about.

BUT, I still enjoyed it very much, not to mention I'm still on the third chapter. I would highly recommend this book to any MJ fan. Oh, and another thing, as someone had pointed out somewhere, Vogel relies quite heavily on quotes from music critics and their opinions. On the one hand, it sort've makes sense, since the music critics should have a unique take on the quality of the music, but on the other hand, why do I need to read so much about how other people think MJ's work is so amazing, I already know that. I want you to show me WHY so that I can come to that conclusion myself (as a reader), and go wow, thats so cool, MJ really was amazing and his work is a masterpiece. Ofcourse, I'm speaking as a casual reader, otherwise I obviously know that Michael's a genius. Anyway, I'm gonna jump into Chapter 3. Hope this review-in-progress was helpful. For those who read the book, do you agree with some of the points I brought up?

I know what you mean however if he went more in-depth he should have written a several-volume book. I hope in the future he will make more features like "Earth Song" where he focuses on one song in-depth (I'd love such a piece about my favorite song "Who is it"). All in all I think it's a good introduction into Michael's work. Of course, Michael has so many songs that are profound and would be worth analyzing that it's impossible to include it in a book.

I think the point of quoting the critics was to place the albums in a context: ie. how they were perceived at the time of their release - how right or how wrong certain critics were. Just a reflection on the general mood regarding Michael at the time of a certain release. I think it's interesting.

I also think if someone wants an in-depth analysis of Michael's lyrics then Dr. Willa Stillwater's book "M Poetica" (available on Amazon for Kindle) and especially her blog ( http://dancingwiththeelephant.wordpress.com/ ) complements Joe Vogel's book perfectly.

Back