Speculation Over New Song “Behind The Mask” (VIDEO)

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
There is speculation over the song “Behind The Mask” that appears on the album.

In 1984, Michael Jackson wrote the song “Behind The Mask” and was released by Greg Phillinganes (Michael Jackson’s keyboard player) and later made famous by British singer/songwriter Eric Clapton.

Here are the original versions:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tE5lhnv0QD4&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tE5lhnv0QD4&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xt9UXxWVr6k&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xt9UXxWVr6k&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

^^80s are better than that sh!t that was released in the 1990s. The mid to late 90s to now has sucked musically. No style at all

I really can't wait to hear MJ's version. I love both version from Greg and Clapton.
When I listened to the song before I could imagine how MJ would sound on it,
Im just exited this will be on the album, just great.

i always loved behind the mask ^^ its written by MJ and i always wantd to hear this song sung my Michael.

Fantabulous! so many styles mixed in one song: rock, electro, pop
Timeless song, so happy with this choice

Behind the mask was actually written by Chris Mosdell and Ryuichi Sakamoto... Michael wrote just additional lyrics to the song.

Here is the song as Michael heard it for the first time in 1979: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DSue36BpH8

Story of Behind The Mask
(from mjtunes):
Written by Chris Mosdell and Ryuichi Sakomoto, with additional lyrics by Michael.

The original instrumental version, with choral backing, was recorded by the Yellow Magic Orchestra, for their 1979 album, Solid State Survivor. Quincy Jones heard Yellow Magic Orchestra's version during the Thriller sessions, and bought it to Michael's attention.

"I didn't know who Michael Jackson was - I wasn't into the whole soul disco stuff," confessed Chris Mosdell. "When Michael Jackson recorded it, he also added an extra melody line and a few extra lyrics, so they wanted to split royalties - which is quite impossible. You can't take a Beatles song and add a melody line, a few more lyrics, and ask for fifty percent."

Legal battles meant Michael's version didn't make his Thriller album and remains unreleased.

Michael's keyboardist, Greg Phillinganes, did record a version for his album, Pulse, issued in 1985. It was released as a single and achieved no.77 on the R&B singles chart in the US, but failed to make the Hot 100 and wasn't a hit in the UK.

Phillinganes first met Michael and his brothers during the sessions for the Jacksons' Destiny album in 1978, and went on to serve as musical director for Michael's Bad World Tour.

Phillinganes, who also played with his band, brought the song to Eric Clapton's attention. Clapton's cover version, on which Phillinganes played keyboards and sang backing vocals, hit no.15 in the UK in 1987. This version, curiously, failed to credit Michael as one of the song's co-writers - but Chris Mosdell has confirmed Michael does take 50% of the song-writing royalties.

• Behind The Mask (1979-1981) (Chris Mosdell, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Michael Jackson)
    Michael Jackson
    Original Instrumental Version by Yellow Magic Orchestra released in 1979 on their
    album SOLID STATE SURVIVOR which drew Quincy Jones' attention. Michael recorded
    his own version for the album THRILLER (1982), adding some extra lyrics and harmonies.
    Due to legal battles concerning the song's credits Michael couldn't release it.

• (Cover Version, 6:34) Greg Phillinganes: "Pulse"
      (Album, Vinyl, 1985)
    • (Cover Version, 6:34) Greg Phillinganes: "Behind The Mask"
      (Single, Vinyl, 1985)
    • (Cover Version, 4:46) Eric Clapton: "Behind The Mask"
      (Single, CD, 1987)
    • (Cover Version, 4:46) Eric Clapton: "Behind The Mask"
      (Album, CD, 1987)

I can't wait to hear Michael on this. It's an 80's sound but I love the 80's sound and it's better than most (or all of) of the crap out today. Great song.

The Original (Instrumental):

[youtube]7DSue36BpH8[/youtube]

Story of Behind The Mask (from mjtunes)

I don't know why they're always doing this, BUT mjtunes has just again COPY-PASTED text from "FOR THE RECORD" by Chris Cadman & Craig Halstead.

The info about "Behind The Mask" that mjtunes has posted is taken from the book. ;)

Mike's works from 90s are shit?? :doh: To you, maybe. For me those are superb.

I wasn't talking about Michael. I was talking about the music world in general. It got too bubble gum in the pop world, and rap/hip hop IMO sucked ass.

Michael had great stuff don't get me wrong. Dangerous is by far his best album IMO. I do think he had a couple duds in the 90s and 2000s, but MJ was awesome more or less in that time period.

Um....whats the speculation about? So 2 other artists have covered the song....and MJ has a demo.

I heard a snippet of MJ's version leaked the other day. Is there any truth to this?

I really can't wait to hear this! I don't even care if its an old version, in fact I would much prefer to hear the 80s version... I love the 80's feel to it. I think this is going to be a fantastic track. :)

I can't wait to hear this! I'm so excited. Love all the versions that are you Youtube right now but I think Michael's will be the best.

And I love the 80s!

Behind The Mask is such an incredible song, and I am looking forward to hearing Michael's :yes:

I love the song! Especially the 80s feel to it. Just love the 80s and quite honestly that's why BAD is my favourite album - the instruments, the sound is rough, I love it! It's tough. I hope Mike's version will have that feel.

To be perfectly honest, the song would only have historical value if it was the original recording, as it was recorded by MJ. Any attempts to make it "acceptable" to today's standards will make it simply unworthy of historical value and just another song in the new compilation. If the guy behind Elvis' new discoveries (Ernst Jorgensen) was to find a brand new recording of his Sun years (1954-1955), the most important moments in Rock 'n' Roll history, and they released it retouched to be "acceptable", how historical would it be? Of course, we're not talking about something REALLY historical here... But the value is there for us fans.

Not saying it'll be bad to my ears, but I'd rather take the original material.

I love the 80's. I love MJ. I love historical value. And I love "Behind the Mask". So to me it's kind of a disappointment to see it released this way...

i'm glad there are '80 songs and '90 songs and new songs on this album:) diversity is always good!

i'm glad there are '80 songs and '90 songs and new songs on this album:) diversity is always good!

Yes, but will it be appealing to the new generation? That is the question. Michael was always about that.

Every album he has done, he's wanted it to live on like Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker Suite". (Ebony interview).

Behind The Mask is the song im most excited about hearing, the other versions are awesome so imagine MJs voice it!!

Back