Quincy Jones' Latest Interviews *Update Post 25*

Alyssa

Proud Member
hey sorry i dont have much info about this but Quincy Jones was just on the one show there now.
i just turned it on waiting on Eastenders to come on and there he was telling a lovely wee funny story about Michael and Bubbles :giggle:

Re: Quincy Jones was just on the one show (bbc1)

hey sorry i dont have much info about this but Quincy Jones was just on the one show there now.
i just turned it on waiting on Eastenders to come on and there he was telling a lovely wee funny story about Michael and Bubbles :giggle:

LOL, i saw it too, he was talking about Muscles or Crusher or whatever it was called, michael's BOA, but he called it bubbles, i think he was getting mixed up in his old age :D

Interesting, I would like to see this

Well, if he's gonna tell a 'story' about Michael, a funny story is much better than one where he's psycho-analizing Michael.

Well, if he's gonna tell a 'story' about Michael, a funny story is much better than one where he's psycho-analizing Michael.
You know what, after all the MJ bashing he did, a funny story like this doesn't even sound funny now. It's just disgusting this fool opened his damn mouth to talk about MJ again.

Well, he probably told the story to work the crowd or something cuz nobody shows interest in him as a personable artist like that. Plus, he probably did it as a subliminal diss cuz he knows damn well some people think Mike was crazy when it comes to many things, one of which is having Bubbles around.

You know what, after all the MJ bashing he did, a funny story like this doesn't even sound funny now. It's just disgusting this fool opened his damn mouth to talk about MJ again.

Well, he probably told the story to work the crowd or something cuz nobody shows interest in him as a personable artist like that. Plus, he probably did it as a subliminal diss cuz he knows damn well some people think Mike was crazy when it comes to many things, one of which is having Bubbles around.

yeah I've lost all respect for Quincy Jones.. He showed his true colors after MJ died and before then as well. His unncessary and hurtful comments about MJ were plain shocking considering Q said he considered MJ like a son 30 years ago..

I saw Quincy Jones on the The One Show. He didn't really talk about Michael's talent, and my opinion he kind of took sole credit for Thriller and We Are The World when the presenters asked Quincy something like "how do you come up with ideas to produce music for the Thriller the biggest selling album of all time, and We Are The Worl, the biggest selling single of all time". It's Billie Jean and Beat It that set Thriller off to become the biggest selling album of all time, and Michael wrote, composed and co-produced those two No.1 singles. We Are The World was co-written and composed by Michael Jackson & Lionel Richie, Quincy had nothing to to with the actual creation of that song. Producers are very important, no one denies Quincy his credit in Michael's career. But Michael was the main source of the songs that created the amazing success of the music Quincy produced for Michael from 1979-87.

Without Michael interviewers would never have been interested in Quincy Jones, and most of today's producers wouldn't have even name him as in influence.

Quincy had a some shades on given to him by Stella McCartney. Quincy said he'd known her since she was 11yrs old. Quincy knows her through Michael, because it's Michael who introduced Paul McCartney and his family to Quincy Jones.

The story Quincy told about Michael's pet python who he mistakenly called Bubbles (Bubbles was Michael's pet chimp), was called Muscles. That story was quite funny. I found what Quincy said about Michael's death very sad, and you could see the hurt ( guess hurt also through guilt as he turned his back on Michael in 2003) in his eyes. He said that when Michael was in the UK to announce his concerts, he was also in London and Michael asked him to meet up, but Quincy said he was busy and had to fly some where for a concert or something. But said he told Michael they would meet in LA in a few month. Then when he was on his way back to the USA in June, he was told in an airport of Michael's death. That was really said to hear, but as much as I wish I could respect Quincy as I once did I can't. All that crap he said about Michael bleaching his skin, before and even after his death was horrible and two faced.

We Are The World was co-written and composed by Michael Jackson & Lionel Richie, Quincy had nothing to to with the actual creation of that song. Producers are very important, no one denies Quincy his credit in Michael's career. But Michael was the main source of the songs that created the amazing success of the music Quincy produced for Michael from 1979-87.

I lost all respect for Quincy. In my opinion, you never, EVER kick a person when they are down and to me, that's exactly what Quincy Jones did.

As to "We Are The World," to bad Quincy couldn't capture that same MAGIC when he recently produced "We Are The World 25," because Lord knows that was a straight up embarassment, in my opinion.

You could clearly see who brought the magic when you compared the first version to the second version. LOL!

benscarr,

I'm surprised that you said you could see the 'pain' in his eyes. I'm shocked that Quincy could show any pain towards MJ's death considering his nasty comments about Mike. I wonder if the coroner saying MJ had vitiligo was made known to him? Does he think the coroner is lying too?

I lost all respect for Quincy. In my opinion, you never, EVER kick a person when they are down and to me, that's exactly what Quincy Jones did.

As to "We Are The World," to bad Quincy couldn't capture that same MAGIC when he recently produced "We Are The World 25," because Lord knows that was a straight up embarassment, in my opinion.

You could clearly see who brought the magic when you compared the first version to the second version. LOL!
right on

I think we shouldn't take this out of proportion, Quincy is very old now, he can't even remember the snake, and he is acting like a silly old fool clinging onto past glorys. But i don't think he's in the mind he was in say 20/30 years ago, i think he's just going a little senile.

"The dude" had Justin Bieber do a solo on the horrendous We Are The World Part II. Yes, he is now senile.

Whenever you go through a hard time in your life that's when you find out who your true friends really are. Same thing happened with MJ during the trial, that's when he found out who were his really friends. People like Stevie Wonder who said ''I gotta call Mike cause he needs a friend right now'' that's a true friend

^^^Agreed. I feel Quincy is very cocky and condescending. I think he thinks he made MJ and he was the magic that brought him to fluition.

I also shudder when I think that he was one of the few that MJ named as friends in the 80's. Then when I hear how Quincy said he spoke to MJ when he was trying to tell him about his problems. He said, "I'm not a therapist". HELLO! A friend is supposed to give a listening ear. With "friends" like that no wonder he felt so alone.

Then he said Mj wanted to be white and didn't have lung problems. He clearly had no regard for MJ the last years of his life. I think the look in his eyes is the guilt he felt at making a mistake he could no longer rectify.

JMHO.

^ omg he did that? ughh what a douche... i didnt even know :nono:

Listen to the demo of We Are The World...MJ's demo before Quincy or Lionel got their hands on it. You'll see who the real creator of that song was. MJ literally came up with 98% of the whole melody/lyrics.

^^Exactly yet Lionel and Quincy took basically all the credit.

Last edited:

guys there was a new inteview with Quincy and he stated that Michael fired him after the 1987 release of the bad album do you think he kind of hold a grudge against michael b/c of that?

^^^Agreed. I feel Quincy is very cocky and condescending. I think he thinks he made MJ and he was the magic that brought him to fluition.

I also shudder when I think that he was one of the few that MJ named as friends in the 80's. Then when I hear how Quincy said he spoke to MJ when he was trying to tell him about his problems. He said, "I'm not a therapist". HELLO! A friend is supposed to give a listening ear. With "friends" like that no wonder he felt so alone.

Then he said Mj wanted to be white and didn't have lung problems. He clearly had no regard for MJ the last years of his life. I think the look in his eyes is the guilt he felt at making a mistake he could no longer rectify.

JMHO.
:yes:

Sad... :( *big sigh*

New Quincy Jones Interview

The legendary Quincy Jones talks to Johnny Davis about Lady Gaga, Naomi Campbell, his last chat with Michael Jackson – and the fun he had at his own funeral

Quincy Jones is not taking any chances. Last week, the 77-year-old, who has two titanium knees and a hearing aid that whistles when he speaks, was at Sweden's Karolinska Institute, where 14 of "the best doctors in the world" spent six days giving him his annual checkup. "Craniology, urology, everything," he says.

From bebop right through to hip-hop, there's nobody left alive who has done more for American music than Quincy Delight Jones Jr. And that can have its down sides. "I've lost 174 people in four years," he says. "Last week, it was Abbey Lincoln. Before that Herman Leonard, Hank Jones, Lena Horne, Billy Preston – half these guys were younger than me. Sammy Davis was 64 when he died."

He has stopped going to funerals. "Who needs them?" Last year, Jones famously lost Michael Jackson, whom he used to call Smelly. They made three albums together – Off the Wall in 1979, Thriller in 1982, Bad in 1987 – a collaboration that changed pop for ever. "Then Michael fired me," Jones grins. He had been pushing Jackson towards hip-hop, but the singer had doubts. "He said, 'Quincy doesn't understand the business any more. He doesn't know that rap is dead.' But it's OK. It wasn't so obvious then."

Still, they were friends until the end. "I was in London when he sold out the 10 concerts, and then sold out 40 more. He called me. He wanted to bring the kids over. But I was with Mohamed Al Fayed at his place. I said, 'I'll see you in Los Angeles.' And that was the last time I talked to him."

Did you know he was in a bad way? "No, no," he says. "There was no way to know. There's no way anybody could be blamed for what happened. Artists of that stature – they can do whatever they want. You'd have to monitor him 24-7 to know what's going on." What about the number of performances? Was it too many for him to cope with? "I don't know, man. It's personal. So, so personal. There's too many details. Unless you're totally cognisant of everything, it's hard to make a judgment."

Jones was once at death's door himself. In 1974, he suffered two brain aneurysms that have left him unable to play the trumpet. He was given a 1% chance of surviving the operation: when the doctors shaved his head they kept his hair in a plastic bag, in case they needed to paste it back on to his corpse. He woke up to find an extravagant memorial service had been planned. So he reckoned it might as well go ahead. "Frank Sinatra said to me, 'Q, live each day like it's your last. And one day you'll be right.'"

Happily, the fleet of Swedish doctors has given him the all-clear. "Except I think vodka's out of my life for ever. Though they say two glasses of red wine is better than not drinking at all!" He certainly seems in the rudest of health. When we meet, at the Paris Ritz, he's looking at the receptionist with a glint in his eye (there have been three marriages and seven children, ages 17 to 56) and on discovering I'm from London, he's keen to practice his cockney. "I learned from the best, Michael Caine," he explains, after a quick round of, "Check out the Bristols on that Richard." Then he shows me Frank Sinatra's sovereign ring, a gift from Ol' Blue Eyes's daughter.

Of all his remarkable achievements, one constant in Jones's life has been an ability to turn great men and women (particularly musicians) into close personal friends. His bestselling 2001 book Q: The Autobiography of Quincy Jones comes with 50 pages of acknowledgements and seems to contain more celebrities than anecdotes. By the time he was 30, he'd backed Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald, played trumpet behind Thelonious Monk and Charlie Parker, recorded Jacques Brel and arranged Ray Charles. As well as masterminding music's biggest ever album (Thriller) and single (We Are the World), his arrangement of Fly Me to the Moon was the first music played by Buzz Aldrin when he landed there in 1969. There have been 33 movie scores and 79 Grammy nominations.

Ostensibly, he has crossed the Atlantic on an unlikely mission: to launch AKG's new line of Quincy Jones headphones ("the most organic, natural fit I could ever imagine"). But Paris is a special place for Jones. He was here in the 1950s, studying composition with Nadia Boulanger, tutor to Stravinsky, Leonard Bernstein and Aaron Copland. Soon he was off dining with Picasso and hanging out with Brigitte Bardot. "Ooh la la!" he twinkles.

When a beautiful blonde teenager practically sits down on top of him, it turns out to be one of his daughters, Kenya. "Nastassja Kinski's her mother," he says. Along with celebrities, the other constant in his life has been stunning women. "You think I'm gonna like ugly ones?" he says.

Jones came up the hard way: born in Chicago to a schizophrenic mother and raised by a grandmother who liked to fry rat on a skillet. Mum re-enters his life story like the proverbial bad penny, at one point conspiring to stop his "devil's music" by reporting Jones for non-payment of taxes. Her behaviour was enough to make him say now: "I didn't have a mother, so I had to make my own world. I started with four trumpets, four trombones, five saxes, drum, bass and piano – all doing something different."

It's this arranger approach that's kept him moving forward, always mixing and matching – people, music, ideas. He worked with everyone from Akon to Bono, Chaka Khan to Shaquille O'Neal. Today, he's got a theory that rappers "could revolutionise education". He explains: "Everywhere in the world, they have kids in the palm of their hand. I put together a curriculum so schools know who rappers are – so kids don't have to pretend to be Columbine neo-Nazis saying 'Yo homie!' on the internet." He's been angling for a position within Barack Obama's administration, too. "We're the only country with no minister of culture," he says.

Jones has an LP coming out: a tribute record to himself called Q: Soul Bossa Nostra. It will be released on 700m mobile phones in China, Jones being the last person you'll find clinging to vinyl. "I've got a jazz mind, man," he says. "The music business as we knew it is over. I'm rolling with whatever the reality is." Amy Winehouse features on the album, covering Jones's first hit as a producer, 1963's It's My Party. They met at Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday concert. "We hugged and I said, 'Why you got to mess up your life like this?' She said, 'I'm gonna be OK. My husband's getting out of jail soon.' I said, 'Wow! That's a big positive!' She's like Naomi, my other little naughty sister."

He means Naomi Campbell. Jones has just spent time with Campbell on a cruise ship in the Mediterranean. With them were Jay-Z; Sarah, Duchess of York; and, ironically, Leonardo DiCaprio, star of the movie Blood Diamond. This was just after Campbell gave evidence in Charles Taylor's trial at the Hague for war crimes. Jones was at the meal the trial focused on, but he's not talking about it. "Naomi's fine," he says. "I see the bright side of her."

Thriller rides again

His diplomacy cracks at the mention of Lady Gaga, though. Why is he rolling his eyes? "I don't listen to her," he says. Why not? "Cos I heard it a couple of times!" He falls about: twice was apparently enough. It's Jackson he'll always be linked with, though. For Thriller, Jones whittled 800 songs down to nine. "Then I took out the weakest four and replaced them with The Lady in My Life, PYT, Beat It and Human Nature. Mix that with Billie Jean and Wanna Be Startin' Something, and you have a serious album." There was a story on the website Pop***** saying Jones got so fed up with Jackson's yelps and whimpers that he took to kicking him. "Ha ha! No, but I knew how to handle Michael."

Now all those Thriller outtakes will probably be heard: Sony and Jackson's estate have done a $250m deal for 10 more albums. "I don't want to get involved," Jones says. "The poor guy's gone. He died younger than me when I produced him. He left something not many people are going to leave."

In terms of a legacy, Jones may rival Jackson. Witnessing all the talent that turned up for his 1974 memorial, which he attended with two metal plates in his skull, one thought went through his mind: "That's some lineup."

Source: The Guardian UK

I saw Quincy Jones on the The One Show. He didn't really talk about Michael's talent, and my opinion he kind of took sole credit for Thriller and We Are The World when the presenters asked Quincy something like "how do you come up with ideas to produce music for the Thriller the biggest selling album of all time, and We Are The Worl, the biggest selling single of all time". It's Billie Jean and Beat It that set Thriller off to become the biggest selling album of all time, and Michael wrote, composed and co-produced those two No.1 singles. We Are The World was co-written and composed by Michael Jackson & Lionel Richie, Quincy had nothing to to with the actual creation of that song. Producers are very important, no one denies Quincy his credit in Michael's career. But Michael was the main source of the songs that created the amazing success of the music Quincy produced for Michael from 1979-87.

Without Michael interviewers would never have been interested in Quincy Jones, and most of today's producers wouldn't have even name him as in influence.

Quincy had a some shades on given to him by Stella McCartney. Quincy said he'd known her since she was 11yrs old. Quincy knows her through Michael, because it's Michael who introduced Paul McCartney and his family to Quincy Jones.

The story Quincy told about Michael's pet python who he mistakenly called Bubbles (Bubbles was Michael's pet chimp), was called Muscles. That story was quite funny. I found what Quincy said about Michael's death very sad, and you could see the hurt ( guess hurt also through guilt as he turned his back on Michael in 2003) in his eyes. He said that when Michael was in the UK to announce his concerts, he was also in London and Michael asked him to meet up, but Quincy said he was busy and had to fly some where for a concert or something. But said he told Michael they would meet in LA in a few month. Then when he was on his way back to the USA in June, he was told in an airport of Michael's death. That was really said to hear, but as much as I wish I could respect Quincy as I once did I can't. All that crap he said about Michael bleaching his skin, before and even after his death was horrible and two faced.

yeah...if he still feels the need to tell a Michael story, to keep things going for him, even if he messes the story up, that says a lot for the power of Michael. if you're a true stand up guy, your power will remain. if not, it won't. Jones is persona non grata to me. his betrayal ranks right up there with Lionel Richie's betrayal, as the most shocking, yet, not so surprising betrayals in history. and Michael wrote ninety seven percent of We Are The World. Richie just changed a minimal amount of wording. Michael is the writer who is the song's identity. if you put Richie's part alone, you wouldn't recognize it. put Michael's part alone, the world would recognize it. so Richie AND Jones are persona non grata.

guys there was a new inteview with Quincy and he stated that Michael fired him after the 1987 release of the bad album do you think he kind of hold a grudge against michael b/c of that?

if that is the case, then Jones is juvenile. if a person can't separate business from personal, then they shouldn't be in the business.

Last edited:

All I gotta say is that Quincy DIDN'T want Billie Jean on the album, thought it wasn't strong enough.....hmmmm....so, WHO should take the credit for that masterpiece of an album? :scratch:

Re: New Quincy Jones Interview

The legendary Quincy Jones talks to Johnny Davis about Lady Gaga, Naomi Campbell, his last chat with Michael Jackson – and the fun he had at his own funeral

Quincy Jones is not taking any chances. Last week, the 77-year-old, who has two titanium knees and a hearing aid that whistles when he speaks, was at Sweden's Karolinska Institute, where 14 of "the best doctors in the world" spent six days giving him his annual checkup. "Craniology, urology, everything," he says.

From bebop right through to hip-hop, there's nobody left alive who has done more for American music than Quincy Delight Jones Jr. And that can have its down sides. "I've lost 174 people in four years," he says. "Last week, it was Abbey Lincoln. Before that Herman Leonard, Hank Jones, Lena Horne, Billy Preston – half these guys were younger than me. Sammy Davis was 64 when he died."

He has stopped going to funerals. "Who needs them?" Last year, Jones famously lost Michael Jackson, whom he used to call Smelly. They made three albums together – Off the Wall in 1979, Thriller in 1982, Bad in 1987 – a collaboration that changed pop for ever. "Then Michael fired me," Jones grins. He had been pushing Jackson towards hip-hop, but the singer had doubts. "He said, 'Quincy doesn't understand the business any more. He doesn't know that rap is dead.' But it's OK. It wasn't so obvious then."

Still, they were friends until the end. "I was in London when he sold out the 10 concerts, and then sold out 40 more. He called me. He wanted to bring the kids over. But I was with Mohamed Al Fayed at his place. I said, 'I'll see you in Los Angeles.' And that was the last time I talked to him."

Did you know he was in a bad way? "No, no," he says. "There was no way to know. There's no way anybody could be blamed for what happened. Artists of that stature – they can do whatever they want. You'd have to monitor him 24-7 to know what's going on." What about the number of performances? Was it too many for him to cope with? "I don't know, man. It's personal. So, so personal. There's too many details. Unless you're totally cognisant of everything, it's hard to make a judgment."

Jones was once at death's door himself. In 1974, he suffered two brain aneurysms that have left him unable to play the trumpet. He was given a 1% chance of surviving the operation: when the doctors shaved his head they kept his hair in a plastic bag, in case they needed to paste it back on to his corpse. He woke up to find an extravagant memorial service had been planned. So he reckoned it might as well go ahead. "Frank Sinatra said to me, 'Q, live each day like it's your last. And one day you'll be right.'"

Happily, the fleet of Swedish doctors has given him the all-clear. "Except I think vodka's out of my life for ever. Though they say two glasses of red wine is better than not drinking at all!" He certainly seems in the rudest of health. When we meet, at the Paris Ritz, he's looking at the receptionist with a glint in his eye (there have been three marriages and seven children, ages 17 to 56) and on discovering I'm from London, he's keen to practice his cockney. "I learned from the best, Michael Caine," he explains, after a quick round of, "Check out the Bristols on that Richard." Then he shows me Frank Sinatra's sovereign ring, a gift from Ol' Blue Eyes's daughter.

Of all his remarkable achievements, one constant in Jones's life has been an ability to turn great men and women (particularly musicians) into close personal friends. His bestselling 2001 book Q: The Autobiography of Quincy Jones comes with 50 pages of acknowledgements and seems to contain more celebrities than anecdotes. By the time he was 30, he'd backed Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald, played trumpet behind Thelonious Monk and Charlie Parker, recorded Jacques Brel and arranged Ray Charles. As well as masterminding music's biggest ever album (Thriller) and single (We Are the World), his arrangement of Fly Me to the Moon was the first music played by Buzz Aldrin when he landed there in 1969. There have been 33 movie scores and 79 Grammy nominations.

Ostensibly, he has crossed the Atlantic on an unlikely mission: to launch AKG's new line of Quincy Jones headphones ("the most organic, natural fit I could ever imagine"). But Paris is a special place for Jones. He was here in the 1950s, studying composition with Nadia Boulanger, tutor to Stravinsky, Leonard Bernstein and Aaron Copland. Soon he was off dining with Picasso and hanging out with Brigitte Bardot. "Ooh la la!" he twinkles.

When a beautiful blonde teenager practically sits down on top of him, it turns out to be one of his daughters, Kenya. "Nastassja Kinski's her mother," he says. Along with celebrities, the other constant in his life has been stunning women. "You think I'm gonna like ugly ones?" he says.

Jones came up the hard way: born in Chicago to a schizophrenic mother and raised by a grandmother who liked to fry rat on a skillet. Mum re-enters his life story like the proverbial bad penny, at one point conspiring to stop his "devil's music" by reporting Jones for non-payment of taxes. Her behaviour was enough to make him say now: "I didn't have a mother, so I had to make my own world. I started with four trumpets, four trombones, five saxes, drum, bass and piano – all doing something different."

It's this arranger approach that's kept him moving forward, always mixing and matching – people, music, ideas. He worked with everyone from Akon to Bono, Chaka Khan to Shaquille O'Neal. Today, he's got a theory that rappers "could revolutionise education". He explains: "Everywhere in the world, they have kids in the palm of their hand. I put together a curriculum so schools know who rappers are – so kids don't have to pretend to be Columbine neo-Nazis saying 'Yo homie!' on the internet." He's been angling for a position within Barack Obama's administration, too. "We're the only country with no minister of culture," he says.

Jones has an LP coming out: a tribute record to himself called Q: Soul Bossa Nostra. It will be released on 700m mobile phones in China, Jones being the last person you'll find clinging to vinyl. "I've got a jazz mind, man," he says. "The music business as we knew it is over. I'm rolling with whatever the reality is." Amy Winehouse features on the album, covering Jones's first hit as a producer, 1963's It's My Party. They met at Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday concert. "We hugged and I said, 'Why you got to mess up your life like this?' She said, 'I'm gonna be OK. My husband's getting out of jail soon.' I said, 'Wow! That's a big positive!' She's like Naomi, my other little naughty sister."

He means Naomi Campbell. Jones has just spent time with Campbell on a cruise ship in the Mediterranean. With them were Jay-Z; Sarah, Duchess of York; and, ironically, Leonardo DiCaprio, star of the movie Blood Diamond. This was just after Campbell gave evidence in Charles Taylor's trial at the Hague for war crimes. Jones was at the meal the trial focused on, but he's not talking about it. "Naomi's fine," he says. "I see the bright side of her."

Thriller rides again

His diplomacy cracks at the mention of Lady Gaga, though. Why is he rolling his eyes? "I don't listen to her," he says. Why not? "Cos I heard it a couple of times!" He falls about: twice was apparently enough. It's Jackson he'll always be linked with, though. For Thriller, Jones whittled 800 songs down to nine. "Then I took out the weakest four and replaced them with The Lady in My Life, PYT, Beat It and Human Nature. Mix that with Billie Jean and Wanna Be Startin' Something, and you have a serious album." There was a story on the website Pop***** saying Jones got so fed up with Jackson's yelps and whimpers that he took to kicking him. "Ha ha! No, but I knew how to handle Michael."

Now all those Thriller outtakes will probably be heard: Sony and Jackson's estate have done a $250m deal for 10 more albums. "I don't want to get involved," Jones says. "The poor guy's gone. He died younger than me when I produced him. He left something not many people are going to leave."

In terms of a legacy, Jones may rival Jackson. Witnessing all the talent that turned up for his 1974 memorial, which he attended with two metal plates in his skull, one thought went through his mind: "That's some lineup."

Source: The Guardian UK

so..the Guardian says that Jones' legacy could rival Michael's, with all those musicians, yet they say that he'll always be linked with Michael. Jones says it's hard to judge, yet he does a good job of it, regarding Michael's death. he says he widdled the songs, but considering what Michael's signature song is, (Billie Jean) that's up for debate. it's easy to believe Michael was the real exec producer, but as always, Mike found it easy to concede credit. but the music states otherwise. Jones, however, finds it impossible to concede credit. as far as Michael not endorsing rap, it's questionable how Jones interpreted whatever Michael said, because obviously, Michael used rap, later in his career. the fact that rap might not fit the mold of a particular album, isn't necessarily Michael dissing rap.

one thing Jones is right about...Michael left something that not too many people can leave, musically.

i notice how the media is really lovey dovey with everybody, except Michael. it's just drooling all over Jones, for life, here. it never was so kind to Michael, during the majority of his life.

Last edited:
Quincy Jones: 'I knew how to handle Michael'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/sep/08/quincy-jones

Quincy-Jones-006.jpg

‘I’ve lost 174 people in four years’ . . . Quincy Jones. Photograph: Sipa Press/Rex

Thriller rides again

His diplomacy cracks at the mention of Lady Gaga, though. Why is he rolling his eyes? "I don't listen to her," he says. Why not? "Cos I heard it a couple of times!" He falls about: twice was apparently enough. It's Jackson he'll always be linked with, though. For Thriller, Jones whittled 800 songs down to nine. "Then I took out the weakest four and replaced them with The Lady in My Life, PYT, Beat It and Human Nature. Mix that with Billie Jean and Wanna Be Startin' Something, and you have a serious album." There was a story on the website Popbitch saying Jones got so fed up with Jackson's yelps and whimpers that he took to kicking him. "Ha ha! No, but I knew how to handle Michael."

"The dude" had Justin Bieber do a solo on the horrendous We Are The World Part II. Yes, he is now senile.

I feel so bad for Jb bout that

Re: Quincy Jones: 'I knew how to handle Michael'

and let the Q bashing begin...

Re: Quincy Jones: 'I knew how to handle Michael'

You don't to get involved? How about you were not asked. And Q would not be bashed if he didn't have it coming

Back