CNN Icons / Michael is the winner.

TheChosenOne

Proud Member

Vote for your top five most iconic musicians

CNN's new arts and culture show "icon," in conjunction with music magazine "Songlines," has shortlisted 20 globally renowned musicians from the past 50 years. Vote for your favorite artists and we'll reveal the top five in "icon's" interactive gallery at cnn.com/icon when our music show airs on August 25.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/28/icon.music.vote/#fbid=IIrImEpkX3X

Re: CNN Icons

Voted.

Michael
James Brown
Aretha Franklin
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley

perhaps others have heard of some of these, but i haven't heard of all these. i thought they had to be known by everybody throughout the world. but maybe other know some of the ones i don't know of on that list. anyway, i voted for an obvious choice to me. MJ at 1.

perhaps others have heard of some of these, but i haven't heard of all these. i thought they had to be known by everybody throughout the world. but maybe other know some of the ones i don't know of on that list. anyway, i voted for an obvious choice to me. MJ at 1.

Other than MJ, Madonna, Elvis, and the Beatles I don't think any of them are known throughout the globe.

I think they have chosen people who are known in their particular region. Mariam Makeba is an African icon, for example. I am sure the others will be recongised by people of their part of the world.

I think they have chosen people who are known in their particular region. Mariam Makeba is an African icon, for example. I am sure the others will be recongised by people of their part of the world.
Oum Kalthoum is basically the Michael Jackson of the arab region. She's a freaking legend, hell when she did shows in france people still showed up even if they don't know a lick of arabic.

Done---thanks for posting this. If the words "musician" and "icon" are in the same sentence, you have to mean MJ.

i was going by your paragraph, that spoke globally, but after i looked at the link, they didn't mention that, so, i guess, then, that is true, that they picked who they and their region believe are icons, though i got a little confused when among them, there really were some who are known, world wide, and don't feel regional.

then I guess Michael represents the whole world in general

Voted :)

Michael Jackson
Madonna
Aretha Franklin
James Brown
The Beatles

voted!
michael
elvis
rolling stones
madonna
james brown

Too many american singers >_< :p

Michael Jackson
James Brown
Bob Marley
Madonna
The Beatles

Miriam Makeba is an African icon , but she lived in exile in USA and other countries before she returned to South-Africa after the aparthaid fell and Mandela persuaded her to come back.
I think the Jackson family knew about her, not only as a singer but for an activist for civil rights.She worked against apartheid and she wasn´t welcome to South-Africa after she testified against apartheid before the United Nations.
She married a man who was engaged in black panters and then she wasn´t popular in USA.

Pfft, No Chuck Berry, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder?

I tried to vote MJ-related
Michael loved James Brown
He was against racism and loved africa-Miriam Makeba
He met Bob Marlow , and B.M played on One love peace concert

I realise he has connections to Madonna, Beatles,Elvis and Rolling Stones too and might have known the other artists but I choose Rolling Stones

Last edited:

Voted

Jackson
Brown
Makeba
Marley
Cruz

Side note, Why do they refer to MJ as the "Prince of pop" lmao...if he's the Prince then who the hell is the King????

^^ I was just about to say that :lol:

Voted

MJ
James Brown
Aretha Franklin
Elvis
Madonna

They could have chosen some better 'icons', where's Stevie, Lionel, Janet etc. !!

Back