Michael Jackson's Irish retreat for rent

MsMo

Proud Member

RONAN McGREEVY

A HOUSE which Michael Jackson was refurbishing as an Irish retreat is to be launched as a self-catering holiday mansion.

Bishopstown House in Co Westmeath was bought in trust for Jackson in 2006 by the well-known entrepreneur Paddy Dunning who owns the nearby Grouse Lodge Studios which are popular with artists such as R.E.M, Manic Street Preachers and Snow Patrol.
Jackson spent time in Ireland in
separator.gif
2005 after his trial on allegations of improper relations with minors and fell in love with the house which was in a dilapidated state.

The house was being renovated just before Jackson’s death last year and was left in limbo.

It was while recording demos of his new album in 2006 that he decided to look for a more permanent home in Ireland before discovering Bishopstown House which is in Rosemount.

In 2008, Dunning applied on his behalf for planning permission to Westmeath County Council to refurbish the house and add a number of maisonettes. There were also plans for an indoor swimming pool. At the time the fact that the work was being done for Jackson was kept secret from the public.

All restoration work was stopped on Jackson’s death, but Dunning decided to finish the job having got permission from the Jackson family to do so.

The renovated house has six spacious bedrooms, most of which feature four poster beds, and it can sleep 13. Most of the rooms are en suite with large bathrooms on a new wooden wing all featuring outstanding views of the surrounding countryside.

Bishopstown is on offer at €1,200 per three-night weekend stay, with mid-weeks for €600.

BISHOPSTOWN HOUSE NEW SITE LAUNCHING MONDAY, 7TH JUNE
bishopstownhouse.ie

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2010/0605/1224271881507.html

BISHOPSTOWN HOUSE

Holiday Homes Rosemount, Westmeath, Ireland

Approached by a long private driveway Bishopstown House is completely secluded and hidden away from the outside world.

The splendidly restored Georgian mansion includes 6 spacious bedrooms, 5 ultra-modern bathrooms, a comfortable sitting room with open fireplace, a living/dining room, a traditional country kitchen with an attached scullery and a stunning 4th floor rooftop terrace. The bedrooms are a mixture of old world charm and modern comfort, and they consist of one triple room and five double rooms - 4 of the bedrooms are en-suite and all feature king-sized beds.

The living/dining room is the deal room for dinner parties, receptions and get togethers. Its large circular dining table can seat up to 20 people and it is flanked by French doors leading to the grounds and offering guests stunning views of the countryside.

The kitchen features an Aga Oven, and its large central island makes it the ideal place for warm suppers and cosy breakfasts. There is a washing machine and dryer in the adjacent scullery/utility room. Large patio areas make the ideal spot for outdoor entertaining and dining.

The house is heated by an eco-friendly gas heating system, and it also features eight fireplaces – firewood and turf for these is provided daily. All ESB & heating charges are included in your rate. Cots and Highchairs are available on request. Bed Linen and fresh towels are provided. A large Australian BBQ is provided to give you even more dining options, and special meals can also be arranged and served by request.

Local Amenities A myriad of sights, attractions and activities are on your doorstep and we will be happy to point you in the right direction. Bishopstown is 2 miles from the nearest shop, pub and church in Rosemount village and 8 miles from the nearest town, Moate. The buzzing towns of Mullingar and Athlone are just 20 mins away by car and every conceivable amenity is in both.

Facilites on site include:
Shared Indoor 45 foot Swimming Pool with Sauna and Jacuzzi, Badminton, Croquet, Children’s swings, bicycles, clay pigeon shooting, archery, helicopter rides, horse riding and lessons.

l-bishopstownhouse.jpg

l-livingroom4.jpg

l-dining15.jpg

l-masterbed2.jpg

l-bathroom1.jpg

l-singlebed1.jpg

http://www.selfcatering-ireland.com/holiday-home-Bishopstown-House-in-Rosemount-Westmeath-14119.cfm#

The Journal agricultural land price survey 2006

160-acre farm at Bishopstown House , Rosemount, Moate, made €2.3 million (€14,375/acre) in trust for local businessman/farmer.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2007/0113/farmbusiness/business/property.shtml

Strong price for farm near Moat

Tuesday October 10 2006

BISHOPSTOWN House, a 160ac residential farm near Moate in Co Westmeath, exceeded all expectations when it sold for €2.3m on Thursday.

Guiding at €1.5m prior to auction, the 160ac neglected drystock farm has no road frontage and is only accessed by a right of way across an adjoining farm.

Auctioneer Dillon Murtagh from Murtagh Bros Real Estate Alliance said the €2.3m selling price was a real surprise but it was driven by two very strong bidders on the day.

Bidding on the farm opened strongly at €1m, with a crowd of around 40 people in attendance.

There were four bidders in the running initially, but hard-hitting bids from two of these pushed the others out in the early stages. There was just one local man in the running and he dropped out early on.

The two main bidders quickly drove up the price in bids of €20,000 and €80,000 each to €2.1m.

The farm was knocked down a short time later at €2.3m to a Waterford solicitor acting in trust for a client. The underbidder was also an agent and is believed to be from Co Meath.

The new owner will have the option of buying an extra portion of land from an adjoining farmer which would give access directly from the road.

The land has been rented out for a number of years, for both sheep and cattle. While the external boundary is in good repair, the internal fencing is in a poor state.

There are no sheds or handling facilities and the house is a derelict two-storey house which is in need of complete renovation.

http://www.independent.ie/farming/strong-price-for-farm-near-moate-72618.html

Last edited:
that is beautiful....I will just go pick the money off the tree in my backyard so I can stay there..:lmao:

Hope mj and his family had beautiful times there..I think they did..But makes me happy knowing uk did good things for mj..Helps me forget about the tabloids and Bashir...Feel sad to be british when i think of it

Hope mj and his family had beautiful times there..I think they did..But makes me happy knowing uk did good things for mj..Helps me forget about the tabloids and Bashir...Feel sad to be british when i think of it

This is Ireland..not the UK?

*sigh* What could have been. I can imagine Michael coming over to this house for little breaks during TII.

This is Ireland..not the UK?

*sigh* What could have been. I can imagine Michael coming over to this house for little breaks during TII.

Well said Emerald...Republic of Ireland for people who don't know is NOT anything to do with UK...just to clear that up!

I am glad he was able to enjoy some peace and beauty with his children and get some art made in the wholesome and friendly welcome of Ireland. There's that to be grateful for after the rough treatment he received.

i do wonder through if mj bought this surely its now owned by the estate and do they have permission to start renting it out. i know the article said he contacted the family but that has nothing to do with them.wouldnt be surprised if this guy was just using mjs name to attention for the place

igh* What could have been. I can imagine Michael coming over to this house for little breaks during TII.
a guy at the recording studio. dont know if it was the guy from the article said mj had told him he would come back afte he had finished the shows in order to finish off his album.who knows but it certainly seems mj was gonna spend time over in eire seing as he had bought the house. heartbreaking *sigh* all his plans taken away by that bar steward

Last edited:
i do wonder through if mj bought this surely its now owned by the estate and do they have permission to start renting it out. i know the article said he contacted the family but that has nothing to do with them.

a guy at the recording studio. dont know if it was the guy from the article said mj had told him he would come back afte he had finished the shows in order to finish off his album.who knows but it certainly seems mj was gonna spend time over in eire seing as he had bought the house. heartbreaking *sigh* all his plans taken away by that bar steward

Oh, I am so happy that Ireland was so good to Michael during his time of need. God Bless the Irish.

^ Aww, how sweet.

But northern Ireland is...I am less ignorant now
Yes it is in the eyes of the law. But I count the whole of Ireland as Ireland as do many.

i do wonder through if mj bought this surely its now owned by the estate and do they have permission to start renting it out. i know the article said he contacted the family but that has nothing to do with them.wouldnt be surprised if this guy was just using mjs name to attention for the place

Noooooo Paddy Dunning has always been glowing in his descriptions of Michael. He said that Michael told him he was one of the few who didn't ask for his autograph. I think it seems like he was really good to Michael.

The sunday world have a competition going with a weekend in Bishopstown House as the prize, the weekend is from june 26th-28th, they had four pages about the House and Michael in last weeks edition. The prize also includes full use of Grouse lodge facilities inluding some time in the recording studio.

If anybody wants to enter text SW12 A and your name and address to 57001.

The sunday world have a competition going with a weekend in Bishopstown House as the prize, the weekend is from june 26th-28th, they had four pages about the House and Michael in last weeks edition. The prize also includes full use of Grouse lodge facilities inluding some time in the recording studio.

Thanx for posting the info. :cheeky:

The house that Michael Jackson nearly bought is open to public

By JEROME REILLY

THE reason Michael Jackson loved Ireland so much was because of the privacy it gave him and his children, according to entrepreneur Paddy Dunning, who has turned the house the pop star was building near Moate into a luxury self-catering mansion.

Bishopstown House in Co Westmeath was bought in trust for Jackson in 2006 by Mr Dunning, who owns the nearby Grouse Lodge Studios -- popular with artists such as REM, Manic Street Preachers and Snow Patrol.
Jackson spent time in Ireland in 2005 and 2006 along with his children Blanket, Paris and Prince Michael.

He fell in love with Bishopstown House, which was in ruins and overgrown with ivy.

He told Mr Dunning he had never been happier than during the time he spent in Ireland. "Back in the US, I spend my life behind closed gates," the pop star said.

Plans were drawn up to Jackson's specifications and in 2008 Mr Dunning applied to Westmeath County Council on Jackson's behalf for planning permission to refurbish the house and add a number of maisonettes.

The fact that the work was being done for Jackson was kept under wraps. There were also plans for an indoor swimming pool.

Jackson didn't live long enough to see the project completed and work stopped following his death.

Negotiations then began with the Jackson family and work resumed last spring.

Now the 5,000sq.ft property is open to hire out as a weekend or weekly retreat.

Between June and August, €1,500 will secure the house for a weekend stay, with weekly rates starting at €2,000. The house includes six spacious bedrooms which can sleep 13, with most bedrooms featuring four-poster beds.

Also featured is a round-table dining room that can seat up to 20 people and a rooftop terrace with 360-degree views.

Jackson sometimes enjoyed a glass of Guinness or a glass of red wine in a bar attached to the recording studios. Poignantly, the bicycles used by Jackson and his children are still scattered around the house where he stayed.

- JEROME REILLY
Sunday Independent

http://www.independent.ie/national-...-nearly-bought-is-open-to-public-2209805.html

Welcome to Bishopstown House

Bishopstown House offers luxury self-catering accommodation in a lovingly-restored three-storey Georgian house, dating from the early 1800’s and set into rich countryside. Located deep in the heart of the country in County Westmeath, this idyllic rural getaway is just an hours drive from Dublin City Centre and Airport.

A magnificent fully-restored and renovated 5,000 sq foot three-storey Georgian house with a brilliant history, Bishopstown House combines an old world setting with the best in modern, eco-friendly features. In 2006, the house was personally chosen by Michael Jackson to be the centrepiece of his Irish estate, and restoration works to Michael’s own hand-drawn plans began immediately. Michael was living and recording at the nearby Grouse Lodge Recording Studios where he spent five happy months. He loved the midlands so much - its people, it’s scenery, and it’s seclusion ticked all the right boxes for him - that he wanted to move there and after searching the region, he settled for Bishopstown. It was in a state of disrepair when Jackson first saw it, but he immediately realised its potential. Sadly, the King of Pop never got to see the finished Bishopstown House, but now you can as it is available to hire for weekend, week-long or mid-week breaks. It is the ideal location for family gatherings and celebrations, small weddings, hen parties, corporate entertainment and general get-togethers and reunions.

Bishopstown features six very spacious double bedrooms, most of which feature king-sized four poster beds. Four of our rooms are en-suite, with large modern bathrooms on a new wooden ‘hotel suite’ wing featuring all the mod cons you’ll need, and designed to Michael’s very high specifications. They incorporate Las Vegas luxury and Irish charm. There is a further bathroom within the house...

As you wind your way up to the bedrooms via a fully-restored Georgian staircase, you find yourself at a new rooftop floor – designed so Michael could appreciate panoramic 360 degree views of the surrounding Westmeath countryside which he loved so much. The rooftop terrace is the ultimate relaxation area offering endless possibilities for guests.

We’re currently restoring the equestrian area which reflects Jackson’s wishes to create a centre of equestrian excellence as well as Bishopstown’s place in history as a stud for several world-famous racehorses, including some Grand National winners. We’re also incorporating into the former farm buildings a new leisure area and these works are scheduled for completion late Summer 2010.

A Brief History of the Bishopstown Estate

Bishopstown House is a three-storey Georgian house built in the early 1800s by the Casey family. After he passed away, the original owner, Mr. J Casey left Bishopstown to his two daughters, who then sold the house to Mr Richard Cleary in 1895.

Mr Richard Cleary, formally from the famed lakeside Cleaboy Stud near Mullingar, planned and erected Bishopstown House and Stud. In his younger days he rode horses at Kilbeggan, Ballinarobe, Claremorris and other Irish meetings with varying degrees of success, but as a trainer he knew no bounds. In his later years he devoted his time to breeding and training, and in time he became one of Ireland’s most famous trainers, breeding some excellent horses, including the winner of the 1916 Irish Grand National, Mr James Kiernan’s All Sorts!

Other famous horses from the Bishopstown stud include Shaun Spada and Serent Murphy who both won the Aintree Grand National in England. Another horse called Dunadry won the Lancashire Steeple Chase. Other stallion winners include Sylvio III, Lustrea and Irish Battle who frequently had their names in the limelight throughout Irish and English racecourses.

After being left fall into a dilapidated state, the stud farm and house was purchased by Paddy and Claire Dunning, the owners of the award-winning Grouse Lodge Recording Studios and Coolatore House. It was purchased in trust for their client, Mr. Michael Jackson, who had hand-picked the house to become his Irish estate. Michael was recording nearby, and had a deep love for Ireland. Creatively and personally, the country allowed him a freedom he had not experienced in years, and the first stages of what would have been the comeback of the Century were plotted in Westmeath. Working with the very best in local labour, and working to designs Jackson had made with a local architect. Amongst his many features was a state-of-the-art wooden extension which features four brand-new bathrooms and culminates in a spectacular roof garden with 360 degree panoramic views of the Westmeath countryside.

Sadly, he never got to see the finished house which Paddy and Claire, who are also members of the Georgian society, restored to its former glory in 2009. The future is what you make of it...

bishopstownestate-before.jpg

Bishopstown House as it was – as photographed in 2006.

Photo Gallery

http://bishopstownhouse.ie

Last edited:
don't know if this story is true or not but funny how a supposed "broke" man can potentially buy such lavish homes...umm>

Noooooo Paddy Dunning has always been glowing in his descriptions of Michael. He said that Michael told him he was one of the few who didn't ask for his autograph. I think it seems like he was really good to Michael.
yeah he was. but it doesnt stop you from wondering all the same. in mjs world nothing was as thought.maybe he bought it for mj and mj never had the chance to pay him back so he does own it in that sense.i dunno.

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!
It's a magical house. I bet Michael Jackson visits often, :cheeky: and one day
Prince, Paris, and Blanket will return to this home site. :yes:
http://www.selfcatering-ireland.com/images/site/l-livingroom4.jpg

this house is beautiful . I like that red door
Thank you for posting

Well said Emerald...Republic of Ireland for people who don't know is NOT anything to do with UK...just to clear that up!

But northern Ireland is...I am less ignorant now

Well i know this isnt the place to discuss this. but as i live in northern ireland its only fair for me to say...
i may live in the north but it will always be Ireland to me. i have an Irish Passport...which means im a citizen of Ireland. so.. :cheeky:

But yeah..lethal house! im glad michael and his kids loved here so much! :wub:

Well i know this isnt the place to discuss this. but as i live in northern ireland its only fair for me to say...
i may live in the north but it will always be Ireland to me. i have an Irish Passport...which means im a citizen of Ireland. so.. :cheeky:

But yeah..lethal house! im glad michael and his kids loved here so much! :wub:

I live in the south and i view the whole 32 as Ireland, i actually hate the way the term northern Ireland is used, i alway say the north of ireland the same as i'd say the west.

On another note cratulations to paddy barnes, Irish gold medal winner at the european champioships.

sorry i hate calling it northern ireland also... The North Of Ireland! :D

Back