Bravado files infringement suits for unauthorized MJ stuff. / Update: New lawsuit filed

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
This TMZ story doesnt really fit anywhere so here it is:
Michael Jackson Peeps Teed Off Over T-Shirts

Originally posted May 3rd 2010 8:25 PM PDT by TMZ Staff
050310-michael-jackson-ex-getty-credit.jpg
God help anyone who uses a picture of Michael Jackson to hawk their products, because the licensee of MJ's image is going after some new companies with a vengeance.

Bravado International Group -- which markets all things Michael -- is suing T-Line Design, Inc. based in Oregon.

According to the federal suit, obtained by TMZ, T-Line is downright "defiant," sardonically writing a blog that says, "...it SUCKS TOTAL BOLLOCKS when people steal those creations..."

The suit seeks $750 for each image illegally used, as well as statutory damages of $150,000.

Bravado filed two other infringement suits today against two other companies for unauthorized MJ stuff.

Re: All TMZ stories about Investigation Information

I have also read at Facebook that at least one group that does and sells t-shirts got a letter from Bravado Intl. Group Merchandising Services asking them to cease and desist of anything that uses "MJ" .

Before anyone jumps to conclusions let me add this legal tidbit: As you know the estate has a lawsuit against Heal the World Foundation and one of things is they are trying to do is stop them from selling products with "MJ" on them. In accordance to this it's expected for them to do cease and desist letters for any product that has "MJ" on them. Otherwise they would give HTWF a valid legal argument.

Last edited:
Re: Bravado files infringement suits for unauthorized MJ stuff.

I see that at justice4mj.com, they said this:

DUE TO THREATS ON OUR FAMILIES AND AN ORDER TO CEASE AND DECIST,
WE HAVE REMOVED THE JUSTICE4MJ T-SHIRTS.
Unknown to us, the "MJ" is supposedly not allowed to be used.

I really liked the tshirts & was just about to order one, so makes me sad. I don't know how they can claim the letters MJ though - it's lots of people's initials.

Also Muzikfactory2 had to change the music to one of her videos, but its back up, with changed music.

I don't know how they can claim the letters MJ though - it's lots of people's initials.

it's a registered trademark. they can claim trademark infringement when it's obviously being used for Michael Jackson.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77806913

edit:
Triumph International, Inc holds the trademarks for MJ, Michael Jackson, King of Pop, Thriller, Neverland Ranch, Neverland Valley Ranch, Thriller 25, Neverland logo and MJJ Feet logo.

The Michael Jackson Company holds the trademarks for This is it.

Last edited:

Im just interested will this effect websites that replicate MJ clothes ?

Does this mean that they will have to remove pictures of MJ or similar ....
Can somebody explain me a bit ....

Clothing is not currently copyrightable under US law so that means you can replicate and sell clothing.

That replica clothes do not have Michael's name or picture on them so they are fine on that basis as well. (all the lawsuits and cease and desist has been about items that has Michael's name or picture on them)

legally the estate can ask for not to use "Michael Jackson" name on that websites. So it is possible but I personally don't think they'll do it as it is obvious that those items are replicas.

It's wierd 'cause I bought from them using MJ's OFFICIAL website.
anyways...
let's see what they're gonna do with the justice t-shirts

Justice for MJ t-shirts got a cease and desist order?

We never had this crap when Michael was alive. He protected us so much as when it came to things like this as we always came first with him. Now he's gone its all about the money and its us, the fans, who suffer.

Gaz - it looks like they are going after companies / people / groups etc who produce and sell stuff that has Michael's trademarks. That's both trademark infringement and monetary gain. (same was true for the HTWF - they were soliciting donations under Michael's name).

I think as long as fan sites do not use Michael's name/trademarks for monetary gain (on products to sell), it should be okay.

edited to add: apparently justice 4 mj got a cease and desist for the t-shirts , not the website or the use of MJ on the website.

Last edited:

Wow. So am I right in thinking that anyone who sells a tshirt with Michael's photograph on, or his name will be prosecuted? Like all those on Ebay or even actual stores like Topshop, Next, River Island, Amplified...etc. etc.? Those from actual stores, especially ones I have from Topshop and Amplified are waaay better quality than the ones I have from Bravado.

Hmmm, makes me wonder what is next

Anything with the letters MJ, so are they gonna come after me due to "MJ"JCommunity as well as all the other fan clubs that have MJ in it.

Sounds to me like they want to literally have every fan eating out of their pockets memorabilia and what not wise.

I hate to say but I knew this would come once Mike had passed, now he is no longer here there is no stopping them and they do not care one bit about any fan or fan groups, my thoughts are they will not be happy until anything that is MJ is under their control if they can not control it then they would do all they can to have it removed or at very least any reference to MJ his picture his name and so on on, effectively this could make us a place that if you came here you would not know what its about until you started reading.

Well I am not looking forward to the future as this is going to get ugly and unfortunately only the fans will suffer.

Again more drama. Why would they go after MJJCommunity? Are you profiting from it....? No....Then, no need to worry.

It's a really shitty thing.
MJ cared so much about us when he lived, wtf are they doing now, ruining his fanbase?

Oh Drama? :2cents:

We never had this crap when Michael was alive. He protected us so much as when it came to things like this as we always came first with him. Now he's gone its all about the money and its us, the fans, who suffer.

Ask yourself, Were there as many fake items being sold when MJ was alive...?

In the '90s I remember Trimph (MJ's co) going after a company for unauthorised use of his image. I highly doubt MJ would sit back and let people mass produce all these fake t-shirts and pocket the money.

For what it's worth, they are protecting the fanbase by not allowing every Joe Blo to profit from MJ's name.

I am tired of seeing all these street vendors hawking their fake MJ t-shirts, fake memorabilia.

And that Heal the world lady was a fraud...I wish they had taken step to muzzle her months ago. She is contantly on twitter pushing her fraudulent charity.

@ Rockin - I believe those big stores probably have agreements/authorization with Bravado and paying trademark fees etc. For example in USA, Hot Topic and Walmart have been selling quite Michael related stuff and they are all authorized.

btw - Bravado has been suing people for sometime now for selling bootleg stuff and/or t-shirts with trademark infringement.

Michael Jackson Business Sues Phone Book
Originally posted Dec 10th 2009 4:01 PM PST by TMZ Staff
The following companies have just been sued by Bravado International Group -- the company that has the rights to distribute shirts, posters and other things Michael Jackson -- for allegedly selling bootlegged stuff in violation of the copyright:

Jin Cha, OK Sportswear, EZ Sportswear, Chang Oh Kim, Chuck Kim, Eden Sports, Justin Ju, Sy Sports, Susan Lee, Susan Yoon, Lee's Family Inc., Green T Corp, Kyung Sook Ma, Cesar Igiesias, Bling Bling Inc., Kauh Un Lee, Arthur Berman, Wacky Planet, Wackyplanet.com, Theplanetshops.com, David Ahoubian, D&T Distribution, Paris Fashions, Clothing Island, Clothingisland.com, Print Liberation, Jaime Dillion, Nick Paparone, Dr. Jay's, Inc., Maggi Fashion Wholesale, Mansour Rokhsarzadeh, Azizi Afshin, Afshin Azzi, Bargain Wholesaler, Wholesaleclothing.com, TBwholesaler.com, Top Brands, Wholesaler, Ahmad Jamhour, Oz Communications, Crazytees.net, Otto Suarez, Olga Lyons, Shop Rumor, Anooshk Zakarian, Esther Lee, Keum Sportswear, Chang Song Lee, African American Dollar Store, Edna Clement Swan, Jack Leiberman, Progressiverags.com, Skreened, Daniel Chrstopher Fox, Shiekh, Shiekh Shoes, Incrediblegifts.com, Daniel Lassoff, Shaky City Blues, Mario Ontiveros, Main Collection, Main Sportswear, Su Young Cho, MB Sportswear, Choung Choe, Right Thang, Hyo Jang Yoon, Buy Merchant, Buymerchant.com, Craig Mentham, Steal Deal, Abraham Davood, Michael Davood, Ebby Davood, The Wild Side, The Wildside.com, Kingsley Syme, Kingley Symes, Setup Site, Harrington Outlets, ObamaTShirts.com, Sour Candy, Shoe Blanace International, Yak Shoe, Wholesale Situation, Jason Aref, Julio Aref, Watch Time, Aziz Ali, Unishow, Gary Chen, rena Chen, Amiline.com, Jian Zhu, Gravity Trading.... AND, Tony in Chong.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/10/micha...copyright-infringement-lawsuit/#ixzz0mzQg6TBD

Good, I don't like bootleggers making money off MJ.
I hope Bravado catches each and everyone of them and make them pay for all the crap merchandise they put out. Especially those who used MJ's death for a quick cash-in.

Again more drama. Why would they go after MJJCommunity? Are you profiting from it....? No....Then, no need to worry.

Oh Drama? :2cents:

In the '90s I remember Trimph (MJ's co) going after a company for unauthorised use of his image. I highly doubt MJ would sit back and let people mass produce all these fake t-shirts and pocket the money.

For what it's worth, they are protecting the fanbase by not allowing every Joe Blo to profit from MJ's name.

I am tired of seeing all these street vendors hawking their fake MJ t-shirts, fake memorabilia.

And that Heal the world lady was a fraud...I wish they had taken step to muzzle her months ago. She is contantly on twitter pushing her fraudulent charity.

Um ok? I'm not sure why everything you say has to be laden so thick with attitude. Just chill please.

I agree with the side of 'joe blo' profiting,but I believe some fans are just worried that 'we' won't be able to make things in support for Michael...from our hearts,not our pockets.
:wub:

I also agree with the joe blo, but please justice4mj is a good thing!
As long as those who wants to earn money with Michael's dead, oke get them, but don't attack the good ones please.

legally speaking - you cannot differentiate between the good or bad.

if you sue some people for using them and do not sue the others, the people that you sue can claim that you are allowing other people to use the trademarks and they should be allowed as well.

legally speaking - you cannot differentiate between the good or bad.

if you sue some people for using them and do not sue the others, the people that you sue can claim that you are allowing other people to use the trademarks and they should be allowed as well.

Yes I know, but it's just wrong to prevent a group using Michael's name and picture to get justice for him, don't you think?
If the other one doesn't get the ability to spread Michael's t shirts, then also the other one can't do it, I fully agree with that, but in this case it's a bit different.
The ones who wants justice4mj can't do it's thing now.

Like some of you are posting, Bravado is doing the right thing. Many ppl are profiting from Michael's name and pocketing the money instead of it going to the right place- Michael Jackson. The bootleg and piracy needs to stop, period.
As for Justice for MJ well unfortunately you are violating the copyright infringement even though for a good cause. And they just can't make exceptions.

Also, many stores like JcPenney, WalMart and other establishments sell Michael's image but under license with Bravado. This is not in anyway bad, but on the contrary a very good move for all fans concerned and Michael Jackson and his kids.

Last edited:

Yes I know, but it's just wrong to prevent a group using Michael's name and picture to get justice for him, don't you think?
If the other one doesn't get the ability to spread Michael's t shirts, then also the other one can't do it, I fully agree with that, but in this case it's a bit different.
The ones who wants justice4mj can't do it's thing now.

This question can be answered emotionally and legally. I'll go with the legal explanation.

Like I said before in the eyes of the law, it's no different.

you are talking about "good intentions" and yes I fully agree at that groups seeking Justice for Michael has good intentions but allowing them opens doors to other people.

for example fake charities or the bootleggers can also argue that they are doing it with "good intentions".. such as "yes we used the trademark but the money went to help people".. how can you draw the line then?

I'm sure that the justice groups were worried when they saw the cease and desist and I'm really sad that they had to experience that however I do not think that not being able to sell t shirts will affect their quest for justice. They can still do their protests, do rallies, educate people, talk to media, make their voice heard and demand justice - none of these are dependent on or can only be achieved through t shirts.

Like some of you are posting, Bravado is doing the right thing. Many ppl are profiting from Michael's name and pocketing the money instead of it going to the right place- Michael Jackson. The bootleg and piracy needs to stop, period.
As for Justice for MJ well unfortunately you are violating the copyright infringement even though for a good cause. And they just can't make exceptions.

Also, many stores like JcPenney, WalMart and other establishments sell Michael's image but under license with Bravado. This is not in anyway bad, but on the contrary a very good move for all fans concerned and Michael Jackson and his kids.

This question can be answered emotionally and legally. I'll go with the legal explanation.

you are talking about "good intentions" and yes I fully agree at that groups seeking Justice for Michael has good intentions but allowing them opens doors to other people.

for example fake charities or the bootleggers can also argue that they are doing it with "good intentions".. such as "yes we used the trademark but the money went to help people".. how can you draw the line then?

I'm sure that the justice groups were worried when they saw the cease and desist and I'm really sad that they had to experience that however I do not think that not being able to sell t shirts will affect their quest for justice. They can still do their protests, do rallies, educate people, talk to media, make their voice heard and demand justice - none of these are dependent on or can only be achieved through t shirts.

No disrespect to the justice group(s), but I have to completely agree with the above quotes. For every group with good and honorable intentions, there are a dozen or more others taking advantage of this. Where can the line be drawn with absolute certainty, legally speaking?

Probably not, but the word that they use is justice4mj, not just mj - although it is just mj on the sweatshirt sleeve in an armband (although that part maybe not part of the shirt, I'm not sure - it is not his logo, not his pic. They are common letters, you'd think that it would be public domain.

I see that at justice4mj.com, they said this:

DUE TO THREATS ON OUR FAMILIES AND AN ORDER TO CEASE AND DECIST,
WE HAVE REMOVED THE JUSTICE4MJ T-SHIRTS.
Unknown to us, the "MJ" is supposedly not allowed to be used.

:mello:

This makes me curious...what about Michael Jackson artwork? Like real paintings and stuff that people make and sell? Are they going to stop people from doing that too? 'Cause currently it seems to be allowed....I haven't heard anything about them cracking down on those people. I don't see the difference between creating your own MJ art and selling it on a t-shirt vs. selling it as a print.

Probably not, but the word that they use is justice4mj, not just mj - although it is just mj on the sweatshirt sleeve in an armband (although that part maybe not part of the shirt, I'm not sure - it is not his logo, not his pic. They are common letters, you'd think that it would be public domain.

their t-shirts had the writing "justice 4 mj" all separate words

and like I posted it's a registered trademark - see the link

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77806913

I don't see the difference between creating your own MJ art and selling it on a t-shirt vs. selling it as a print.

this is not a case of original artwork or copied artwork. it's a case of trademarks. Triumph International, Inc. owns the trademarks for Michael Jackson, MJ, King of Pop, Thriller, Neverland ranch name and logo and the feet logo.

Hmmm, makes me wonder what is next

Anything with the letters MJ, so are they gonna come after me due to "MJ"JCommunity as well as all the other fan clubs that have MJ in it.

Sounds to me like they want to literally have every fan eating out of their pockets memorabilia and what not wise.

I hate to say but I knew this would come once Mike had passed, now he is no longer here there is no stopping them and they do not care one bit about any fan or fan groups, my thoughts are they will not be happy until anything that is MJ is under their control if they can not control it then they would do all they can to have it removed or at very least any reference to MJ his picture his name and so on on, effectively this could make us a place that if you came here you would not know what its about until you started reading.

Well I am not looking forward to the future as this is going to get ugly and unfortunately only the fans will suffer.

You are so right gaz!

Its disgusting the way they are using mj's name :angry:. They dont care bout the legacy of michael jackson, only the $$$ that comes with it.

Back