UPDATE: Michael's possible resting place in Holly Terrace

shimar

Proud Member
Hello all!

I've been following Lisa Burks' blog, "Adventures in Grave Hunting," and she's a Forest Lawn Great Mausoleum connoisseur. She recently was a correspondent for a few news outlets regarding Michael's interment and she wrote a very beautiful post about where Michael's body was laid to rest. She seems to be very legit and has much better sources than anyone I've read regarding Forest Lawn's Great Mausoleum.

Photos are at the link (truly beautiful place where Michael is believed to be at rest), but here's the article (link at the end):

Sleeping in Beauty ~ Rest in Peace, Michael Jackson (Lisa Burks)

Ten weeks after his untimely death, Michael Jackson was finally laid to rest last night at Forest Lawn Glendale in the Great Mausoleum, Holly Terrace, during a much publicized private funeral.

I was invited to be a guest commentator on ZDF German TV and would like to say a big, big thank you to producer-reporter Melanie Hillmann for arranging my media credentials. While there, I was also interviewed by Channel One Russia, BBC World News and our local newspaper, the Glendale News-Press.

As a cemetery historian, it was an unparalleled experience to be a part of the scene outside the park gates on Glendale Blvd., which had been closed to traffic for the historic event.

The Jacksons filmed the funeral (speculation abounds that the footage will be used in their upcoming A&E reality show) and provided a public video feed of the guest arrivals. Beamed around the world by a pool camera, the feed cut out once Michael's casket arrived at the Great Mausoleum in a hearse after a short drive from the cemetery mortuary.

After the ceremony, I was told by eyewitnesses that once the funeral was over -- which was a loving celebration of Michael's life -- no one from his family opted to watch his casket be entombed. (This is not an unusual practice.) Forest Lawn personnel handled the sacred, solemn task with dignified professional aplomb, sealing Michael and his gold casket into an elaborate marble sarcophagus some time after approximately 9 p.m.

Based on insider descriptions of the immediate area, my best guess -- and this is ONLY an educated grave hunter's guess, not an officially confirmed fact -- is that Michael now rests on the main floor of the terrace, at the end of a sanctuary hallway with cathedral ceilings, under three stained-glass windows which are a re-creation of Nicola D'Ascenzo's "The Ascension."

No public photos have been released of this stunningly gorgeous location since Michael was possibly entombed there less than 24 hours ago. But a quick look through my Forest Lawn archival materials produced this promotional image, released by Forest Lawn in 1952, showing a final resting place that is truly fit for a king:

(click on her link to see photo)

Word has it that the price tag, which also includes an unspecified number of nearby crypts reserved for other family members, is in the neighborhood of $600,000.

This sarcophagus was one of the last (and possibly the last) remaining interment type of its kind on Holly Terrace or within the entire mausoleum itself. It has remained largely unchanged since it was constructed 50 years ago. I saw it in person about a year ago. The photo does not do it justice. It's breathtaking.

At that time it was also notable because it remained seemingly unoccupied, sans any engraved names, dates or epitaphs.

The only difference I noticed from the original photo was the addition of a marble and brass waist-high gate in front of the steps, which partitions it off from the rest of the hallway.

Construction began on the Great Mausoleum in late 1917. It was constructed of steel and concrete, with each terrace on its own foundation, although they are all connected in a "building within a building" architectural style.

Engineers designed the entire structure to be earthquake-proof, and their work stands up today in spite of several monumental tremblers over the decades.

(updated photo of Holly Terrace addition)

The Great Mausoleum, Holly Terrace addition in red
(© 1939-top, 1952-bottom Forest Lawn Memorial-Park Association)

Holly Terrace was opened to the public on March 21, 1949. Forest Lawn invited and encouraged the public to visit the new terrace with a promotional campaign that included large ads in newspapers like The Los Angeles Times.

Glorious artwork such as a marble replica of Donatello's St. George statue and a stain-glassed re-creation of Raphael's "Madonna of the Chair" painting were the attraction -- pre-need purchases of cremation niches, crypts and sarcophaguses within "the finest mausoleum memorial property available anywhere" was the sell.

Since the Great Mausoleum is rumored to be fairly sold out (no official figures are available) I wonder if this could be an additional reason as to why the public visitation policy (now limited only to the Memorial Terrace to see The Last Supper Window) has radically changed over the years? It seems to make dollars and sense to me.

Thank you to Mark Masek and Harry Martin for your research and brainstorming assistance!

http://lisaburks.typepad.com/graveh...-in-beauty-rest-in-peace-michael-jackson.html

UPDATE: Here's a more recent photo (Not of Michael's Interment) with the marble and bronze gates - scroll half way down, wow - it's BETTER than Jean Harlow's area. It's truly BEAUTIFUL: http://www.cemeteryguide.com/latestnews.html

http://www.cemeteryguide.com/latestnews.html

Last edited:
Re: Michael's possible resting place in Holly Terrace

Thank you for that article Shimar.

That location is perfect for Michael, IMO. Beautiful, peaceful, ornate, fit for someone like Michael.

I have never liked the idea of Michael being buried in a crypt in one of those rows. In all honesty I did want him to be singled out and buried in an extra special location because he is that special and that important.

I thought the family would have put him in his own mausoleum like Jean Harlow's. But this sarcophagus, if all holds true, is truly perfect for Michael.

Oh my goodness, I hope this is some way, shape or form, that fans will one day be allowed to pay respects to Michael.

Noticed someone's comments on Michael's 'supposed' final resting place. Called it ostentatious and over the top for Michael basically. All I got to say is, if someone can afford it they'd probably buy the plot. . . so why not for Michael?!?

"After the ceremony, I was told by eyewitnesses that once the funeral was over -- which was a loving celebration of Michael's life -- no one from his family opted to watch his casket be entombed. (This is not an unusual practice.) "

:(

An interesting blog post. Thanks for posting.

Why cant he just be laid to rest? All of this should have been sorted out a long time ago >_>

Agree with everything you say!

When I saw this photo - I gasped. And that Michael's resting under the "Ascension" give it more meaning.

I left her a comment thanking her for her research - but I feel stupid because within the blog she answered a question I had for her, which was the 12 additional plots that were also bought.

Thank you for that article Shimar.

That location is perfect for Michael, IMO. Beautiful, peaceful, ornate, fit for someone like Michael.

I have never liked the idea of Michael being buried in a crypt in one of those rows. In all honesty I did want him to be singled out and buried in an extra special location because he is that special and that important.

I thought the family would have put him in his own mausoleum like Jean Harlow's. But this sarcophagus, if all holds true, is truly perfect for Michael.

Oh my goodness, I hope this is some way, shape or form, that fans will one day be allowed to pay respects to Michael.

I could totally relate to this. I cannot handle funerals/wakes. It's too painful.

"After the ceremony, I was told by eyewitnesses that once the funeral was over -- which was a loving celebration of Michael's life -- no one from his family opted to watch his casket be entombed. (This is not an unusual practice.) "

:(

An interesting blog post. Thanks for posting.

Thank you for posting that. What a beautiful spot in the mausaleum.
I do hope that is where he is. How appropriate and fitting for our King.

The good thing is that Michael's interred near the 3 windows of the Ascension.

It will be easy to locate from the outside and I dunno, stand outside and give him our respects and love.

Thank you for posting that. What a beautiful spot in the mausaleum.
I do hope that is where he is. How appropriate and fitting for our King.

Well, on the nightly news, on the night of the 4th September (which it the date Michael was burried Australia time) they showed this exact image (of the three windows) when they did a story on his funeral.

I am wondering if all media thinks this is where he is? Was this blog written immediately after the funeral?

Just find it strange that an Aussie news program would use the same image where this lady thinks Michael has been laid to rest?

Maybe the media know something, or maybe - as usual - they think they know something?

either way, i'm glad his final resting place is unknown for sure - I'd hate for his resting place to become some sort of tourist attraction, people taking photos etc.

2ij6691.jpg

Lisa Burks talks about it how tight security is on her blog. Forest Lawn is tightly monitored - it's not like you can walk by the 3 windows and have a fan gathering. They'll kick you out.

And yes, it's VERY interested that Australian news showed the same three windows. Hmmm....

Well, on the nightly news, on the night of the 4th September (which it the date Michael was burried Australia time) they showed this exact image (of the three windows) when they did a story on his funeral.

I am wondering if all media thinks this is where he is? Was this blog written immediately after the funeral?

Just find it strange that an Aussie news program would use the same image where this lady thinks Michael has been laid to rest?

Maybe the media know something, or maybe - as usual - they think they know something?

either way, i'm glad his final resting place is unknown for sure - I'd hate for his resting place to become some sort of tourist attraction, people taking photos etc.

that is beautiful, better than what i thought it would look like.

But Michael's estate paid for 12 plots...so I would expect some other place, but I don't know,
this is beautiful and really fits the King

I left that question for Lisa at her blog & I'm hoping she answers it. It seems that there are family plots where there are wall crypts reserved for an entire family.

But Michael's estate paid for 12 plots...so I would expect some other place, but I don't know,
this is beautiful and really fits the King

I think the family made the right decision when they chose Forest Lawn, it seems like a really peaceful and beautiful place.

I saw for Michael an interment worthy of an Egyptian Pharaoh.

And yes, if you think about it, the Great Mausoleum is a building version of the Valley of the Kings/Queens. Not as spread out, but just as sacred, important and secure.

that is beautiful, better than what i thought it would look like.

Agree 100%.

They chose well, even if it took 10 weeks!

I think the family made the right decision when they chose Forest Lawn, it seems like a really peaceful and beautiful place.

I saw Lisa's blog post also. I like the idea that Michael could be "hidden in plain sight" so to speak. The location is breathtaking and beautiful.

I hope we never know the exact location of Michael's grave. As much as I would like to pay tribute, it is time for him to rest in eternal peace.

I like that too - but Lisa is a very well respected cemetery historian.

If she said "her sources" said - then I believe her. She's a Forest Lawn Glendale expert and I'm sure the employees there know her very well.

Notice the language she used "Based on insider descriptions of the immediate area" - of course, Forest lawn prohibits employees to reveal the location of celebrity graves/crypts. All they had to tell her was a word or two: 3 windows, vaulted ceiling, sarcophagus, etc.

If you look at the overhead photo of Forest Lawn with the red highlight over Holly Terrace, you can clearly see the exact place where these windows are as well as the location of the funeral last Thursday. They are virtually next to each other.

:angel:

Everyone in the media was reporting that Michael would be put near "The Last Supper" stained glass window. I think that was a diversion.

But I posted a thread yesterday that stated that Extra online had said that Michael would be buried IN a hidden monument made of marble and mortar. This sarcophagus must be that hidden monument.

You know what else I like about this location is him being in a cove with the three beautiful stained glass windows. Michael will always have the sunlight shining in on him. I've always felt horrible when he says that he is allergic to the sun after he was diagnosed with vitiligo. In his youth, he could freely play, run, swim outside in the sun to his heart's desire. But as an adult, he always had to be in the shade or shadows so that he doesn't get burned.

So the way I look at this final resting place is that he will always have eternal sunlight shining on him.

Ok, I'm re-looking at daytime aerial footage (sorry Randy!) and the 3 windowed place is straight down the hall from Holly Terrace's entrance on the other end.

Here's the link and at 1:40 the shot will pan out and you'll see the curved vaulted windows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LoTWVvGl6I

You just broke my heart with that. :angel:

Everyone in the media was reporting that Michael would be put near "The Last Supper" stained glass window. I think that was a diversion.

But I posted a thread yesterday that stated that Extra online had said that Michael would be buried IN a hidden monument made of marble and mortar. This sarcophagus must be that hidden monument.

You know what else I like about this location is him being in a cove with the three beautiful stained glass windows. Michael will always have the sunlight shining in on him. I've always felt horrible when he says that he is allergic to the sun after he was diagnosed with vitiligo. In his youth, he could freely play, run, swim outside in the sun to his heart's desire. But as an adult, he always had to be in the shade or shadows so that he doesn't get burned.

So the way I look at this final resting place is that he will always have eternal sunlight shining on him.

It also said on the blog that the only area of the Great Mausoleum that could be visited by public was the Memorial Terrace to see 'The Last Supper' window.

Now the media has been reporting stuff all wrong I think. They said that Michael would be buried in Holly Terrace close to 'The Last Supper' window. According to Lisa, the window is in a totally different area and is accessible by the public. So now I definitely don't think that the Jacksons would put Michael in a place that is normally accessible to the public.

I think Lisa is right about where Michael has been buried. It's sort of comforting to know where Michael could be resting at. If the public won't be able to pay their respects to him, at least we know that he's in a safe and beautiful place that he would probably love.

Last edited:

I agree with you. I also think it's a lie.

Memorial Terrace where the Last Supper window is waaaaay on the other end near the tall tower and "Builders Creed."

Lisa has on her blog a small diagram of the Great Mausoleum here:

http://lisaburks.typepad.com/gravehunting/2009/09/disneyland-of-the-dead.html

If you compare the diagram and the aerial footage (sorry Randy!) it's a helluva hike from Holly Terrace all the way to the Last Supper window/Memorial Terrace.

So no, I think they went straight to where the vaulted windows are, Gladys sang and then everyone left.

It also said on the blog that the only area of the Great Mausoleum that could be visited by public was the Memorial Terrace to see 'The Last Supper' window.

Now the media has been reporting stuff all wrong I think. They said that Michael would be buried in Holly Terrace close to 'The Last Supper' window. According to Lisa, the window is in a totally different area and is accessible by the public. So now I definitely don't think that the Jacksons would put Michael in a place that is normally accessible to the public.

I think Lisa is right about where Michael has been buried.

I would say Lisa's "educated guess" is better than anything the media has had to say thus far. I applaud Lisa and her work. She has a very fascinating, respectful and well-researched blog.

Thank for sharing.

thanks for sharing. this is a beautiful place fit for Michael. he has always deserved only the best.

Back