Spike Lee To Hold MJ BDay Celebration In NYC!

Cinnamon234

Proud Member
This looks pretty good! Nice of Spike to do this. I'm definitely going to this.

On Aug. 29, the King of Pop would have turned 51. To celebrate his life, Spike Lee invites everyone to a Brooklyn style block party.

You could say that Spike Lee always had a special connection to Michael Jackson: They were born a year apart, both to musical families. Back in the day, every Saturday morning, Lee, like many other black kids across the country, sat down in front of the TV, glued to the “Jackson 5” cartoons.

“We’re of the same era,” Lee told The Root. “I wanted my Afro to be perfectly round like Michael’s, all that stuff.”

Years later, the two ended up working together, collaborating on a music video for “They Don’t Care About Us” in Brazil. The two never worked together again, but Lee found himself hit hard by Jackson’s death.

So he decided to throw Michael a birthday party.

Not just any birthday party: A “Brooklyn style block party,” Lee says. “It’s going to just be how we do it, Brooklyn style, I’ll leave it at that. It’s going to be a joyous, festive, celebratory party.” Free.

Anybody and everybody is invited to attend Michael Jackson’s 51st birthday party on Saturday, August 29, from noon to 5 p.m., at Fort Greene Park, Brooklyn, New York. DJ Spinna will be spinning all things Jackson, from the Jackson 5 to the Jacksons to Michael Jackson. The Brooklyn borough president will be on hand to declare Aug. 29 “Michael Jackson Day.”

“At the end, we’ll all sing Happy Birthday to Michael,” Lee says. “We’re going to make sure he hears us, too. All over the world, people are going to be celebrating his birthday. But he’s going to hear Brooklyn; Brooklyn is going to be in the house. Deep.”

EDIT: The Tribute has been moved. It will now be in Prospect Park instead of Fort Greene. Thx to London and Andyroser for the info.

SpikeLeeprospect.jpg

http://www.thesource.com/2009/08/sp...ebrate-michael-jacksons-birthday-in-brooklyn/

Last edited:
This is so awesome! I give props to Spike Lee for doing something wonderful like this for Michael, his fans and everyone else who wants to celebrate Michael's birthday!

I would totally go if I was in the east coast!!

ffffffffffffkkkkkk yes! NYC I WAS STARTING TO DOUBT YOU BUT IT'S THE NYC WAY TO DOUBT

spike, i don't even like you and i'm going to jam at your damn party.

The Brooklyn borough president will be on hand to declare Aug. 29 “Michael Jackson Day.”

o god, kind of proud right now. BEST GODDAMN NEWS OF THE DAY! thanks cinnabun! :jump:

LMAO!!! I was just about to post this in the other NYC thread. I just got this in e-mail from a friend of mine who lives in BK. (And you too London!) I'm soo going!!! I'm really excited! This has totally made my morning! :bounce:

Last edited:
ffffffffffffkkkkkk yes! NYC I WAS STARTING TO DOUBT YOU BUT IT'S THE NYC WAY TO DOUBT

spike, i don't even like you and i'm going to jam at your damn party.

o god, kind of proud right now. BEST GODDAMN NEWS OF THE DAY! thanks cinnabun! :jump:

:lol: It it SOOOOO the NYC way to doubt!

Thats awesome! ill be in NY that day so i think i am also going! :)

Btw, does anyone know if there is anything planned at the Apollo Theater?

i like to go too
maybe we can all meet before we even go there, and then go together...?
just a thought...

I am really thinking about taking the bus D.C. to NY for one day just to go to the celebration! OOOoo I can't wait! Maybe later at night we can all hit up the Nokia theatre in Manhattan for Q-Tip and DJ spinnas other celebration! We'll be all over NY supporting MJ lol.

lol Mjjfan4ever we should do the beat it dance in D.C. haha!!!!! We should invade the national mall or in front of the white house to get some media attention lol. D.C. folk I know some cheap buses to NYC for like 20 dollars. I think we should meet up together!

Last edited:
^^^^YEEEEEEESSSSS!!!

Flash mob infront of the white house!! Awesome! or by the capital!!

Man...ya'll we got to coordinate this stuff. there is a site called Megabus which i thing is having like some $1 bus fare special!! megabus.com and i think the bus stop is in downtown DC NW at like some parking lot by H street...

^^^^YEEEEEEESSSSS!!!

Man...ya'll we got to coordinate this stuff. there is a site called Megabus which i thing is having like some $1 bus fare special!! megabus.com and i think the bus stop is in downtown DC NW at like some parking lot by H street...

I am game to go to NYC with you and MJsAngel..... let me know what u all decide.....
BUT SOOOOOO SERIOUS about beat it flash mob dance in DC. Man.... all the michaelmaniacs in stockholm, budapest, and the world is putting us to shame. The only one in the U.S. I saw was SF... and they weren't even dancing. BLAH....

I am really thinking about taking the bus D.C. to NY for one day just to go to the celebration! OOOoo I can't wait! Maybe later at night we can all hit up the Nokia theatre in Manhattan for Q-Tip and DJ spinnas other celebration! We'll be all over NY supporting MJ lol.

lol Mjjfan4ever we should do the beat it dance in D.C. haha!!!!! We should invade the national mall or in front of the white house to get some media attention lol. D.C. folk I know some cheap buses to NYC for like 20 dollars. I think we should meet up together!

I am game..... loved to come to the block party and especially meet up with some mjjcers....

Look can't even clap in rhythm.... BUT I am willing to make a fool out of myself dancing in a flash mob for MJ.. But ONLY for MJ.....

^^^^YEEEEEEESSSSS!!!

Megabus is only a dollar if you book WAYYYYY ahead. You won't find 1 dollar deals a week ahead but I'll take a look. Megabus is huge bus. Bolt is always sold out because it has free internet access. Both buses are 1 block from the Metro Center stop.

lol I am game for the White House! D.C. needs to represent because we are slacking! Let's get Obama in on the action.

I am game to go to NYC with you and MJsAngel..... let me know what u all decide.....
BUT SOOOOOO SERIOUS about beat it flash mob dance in DC. Man.... all the michaelmaniacs in stockholm, budapest, and the world is putting us to shame. The only one in the U.S. I saw was SF... and they weren't even dancing. BLAH....

I am game..... loved to come to the block party and especially meet up with some mjjcers....

Look can't even clap in rhythm.... BUT I am willing to make a fool out of myself dancing in a flash mob for MJ.. But ONLY for MJ.....

Someone bring in a boombox and I am there lol. I am suprised that D.C. didn't do any large scale tributes! haha mjjfan4ever! You and me both. We can look like fools together for MJ. I'm sure they'll be lots of people there to cover us up.

Megabus is only a dollar if you book WAYYYYY ahead. You won't find 1 dollar deals a week ahead but I'll take a look. Megabus is huge bus. Bolt is always sold out because it has free internet access. Both buses are 1 block from the Metro Center stop.

lol I am game for the White House! D.C. needs to represent because we are slacking! Let's get Obama in on the action.

Someone bring in a boombox and I am there lol. I am suprised that D.C. didn't do any large scale tributes! haha mjjfan4ever! You and me both. We can look like fools together for MJ. I'm sure they'll be lots of people there to cover us up.

I don't know... U KNOW we american's are cool or have to look cool so we won't put ourselves out there like the europeans.... THEY ARE REPRESENTING MIKE SOOO GOOD.... I feel ashamed....
1. meet up in NYC
2. sept 25th??? flash mob somewhere.... and we need to do it right.

Alright...

I've been looking for cheap bus fare and yeah the $1 thing...no go, lol.

But megabus is still really cheap... round trip is $36 dollars...there are departures from H street parking lot in NW downtown DC at 5:15 am and 6:15 am (damn lol) but we would get to NY at 9:45 and 10:45 and have time to get to the park in brooklyn for the party. The arrival/departure spot in NY is Penn Station 31st street and 8th ave.

I don't know... U KNOW we american's are cool or have to look cool so we won't put ourselves out there like the europeans.... THEY ARE REPRESENTING MIKE SOOO GOOD.... I feel ashamed....
1. meet up in NYC
2. sept 25th??? flash mob somewhere.... and we need to do it right.

haha you are so right about Americans. We like to keep ourselves in check at all times. For MJ we have to let go and even if we fall on our butts and look stupid we just laugh at ourselves in the spirit of MJ. The flash mob is ON! D.C. is so stiff though so I don't know if anybody will join lol.

Alright...

I've been looking for cheap bus fare and yeah the $1 thing...no go, lol.

But megabus is still really cheap... round trip is $36 dollars...there are departures from H street parking lot in NW downtown DC at 5:15 am and 6:15 am (damn lol) but we would get to NY at 9:45 and 10:45 and have time to get to the park in brooklyn for the party. The arrival/departure spot in NY is Penn Station 31st street and 8th ave.

Megabus works for me. It's a double decker bus and I always take it when I go to NY. From Penn Station we could walk 3 blocks to the Herald Square/Broadway subway stop and take the R train downtown all the way to Brooklyn's DeKalb Avenue. Damn are you guys willing to wake up in time to make the 5:25 train? I'm blacked out at that time. I might just come back the same day.

haha you are so right about Americans. We like to keep ourselves in check at all times. For MJ we have to let go and even if we fall on our butts and look stupid we just laugh at ourselves in the spirit of MJ. The flash mob is ON! D.C. is so stiff though so I don't know if anybody will join lol.

Megabus works for me. It's a double decker bus and I always take it when I go to NY. From Penn Station we could walk 3 blocks to the Herald Square/Broadway subway stop and take the R train downtown all the way to Brooklyn's DeKalb Avenue. Damn are you guys willing to wake up in time to make the 5:25 train? I'm blacked out at that time. I might just come back the same day.

MJ___R U in our neck of the woods??? we should all probably book the ticket soon... if we all are going together.... it will be SO MUCH FUN FUN FUN.....

we are stiff.... today, at borders i was trying to decide which MJ tribute book to buy.... a guy standing next to me seeing what I was looking at laughed at me... LAUGHED AT ME.... I turned to him and give him this look... BOY.... he quickly walked away..... I was left there with 3 mags in my hand.... speaking a foreign language.... trying not to go after him.... OH I WAS SO MAD.....
a lot of DC folks are like that... and they can all GO TO THE PLACE OPPOSITE OF HEAVEN..

now that i have that off my chest..... if we organize.... give us like a month.... we can get a good crowd... they just need to know how to dance... to make up for YOU, and ME. LOL>

^^^LOL girl....

I think coming back the same day is best...even though going to Ronson party would be fun...the party starts at 10 pm... and we really wouldn't have a place to sleep lol..unless we just do an all nighter which i will never make it, lol...

so returning the same day is probably best, we should all try to buy our tickets tomorrow friday by the end of the day...i say megabus departure time at 6:15 cause 5:15....i just ....cant lol.

MJ___R U in our neck of the woods??? we should all probably book the ticket soon... if we all are going together.... it will be SO MUCH FUN FUN FUN.....

we are stiff.... today, at borders i was trying to decide which MJ tribute book to buy.... a guy standing next to me seeing what I was looking at laughed at me... LAUGHED AT ME.... I turned to him and give him this look... BOY.... he quickly walked away..... I was left there with 3 mags in my hand.... speaking a foreign language.... trying not to go after him.... OH I WAS SO MAD.....
a lot of DC folks are like that... and they can all GO TO THE PLACE OPPOSITE OF HEAVEN..

now that i have that off my chest..... if we organize.... give us like a month.... we can get a good crowd... they just need to know how to dance... to make up for YOU, and ME. LOL>

Yea I live in Northern Virginia. It takes me like 30 minutes by metro to get to D.C. Saturday's the bus gets real full (except for the crazy hours like 5 am). I'll book my ticket soon. It'll be so fun! We should all get decked out in our MJ!

yay for putting that guy in his place!! I would have gone off on him haha. When I picked up my magazines everyone stared. MJ fans always take so much flack!! I agree D.C. folk all have a stick up their butts.

I think we should do it 1 month after his birthday during rush hour haha so all those government workers can get their groove on. The first part of the dance is easy but then it gets all crazy with the leg kicks.

^^^LOL girl....

I think coming back the same day is best...even though going to Ronson party would be fun...the party starts at 10 pm... and we really wouldn't have a place to sleep lol..unless we just do an all nighter which i will never make it, lol...

so returning the same day is probably best, we should all try to buy our tickets tomorrow friday by the end of the day...i say megabus departure time at 6:15 cause 5:15....i just ....cant lol.

4 hour bus is draining I'm telling you guys and 1 day trips are hell for me lol but it'll save money to not book a hotel. I probably won't have the energy for the Ronson dance party so it's cool if we pass on it. There's no way I can even raise my head at 5:15. 6:15 sounds good. I's gonna bring my dvd player to watch MJ dvd's to pass time on the bus.

damnnn wish i could join you guys on the bus over here !! haha but i would be down to meet you guys in NY for this free party i will either take the train to NYC or take my car and drive to Brooklyn

Back