Studios Competing For Michael Jackson Concert Film; Rehearsal Footage set for release Oct. (Merged)

TheFaze

Proud Member
Studios Competing For Michael Jackson Concert Film; Bidding Began At $50M

EXCLUSIVE:AEG is right now trying to auction off to Hollywood*that concert film of the Michael Jackson rehearsals for his final tour.*I'm told Sony, Universal and Fox are in negotiations, but the price keeps going up and up. $50 million is where it started, I heard. As soon as executives involved in organizing Michael Jackson's 50-night schedule of shows at London's O2 arena learned of the performers death, they met at Staples Center in Los Angeles and secured all of the*rehearsal footage which Jackson had done there, according to news reports.*Randy Phillips, president and CEO of AEG Live, ghoulishly boasted to The Associated Press he had "more than 100 hours of footage that could be turned into live albums, a movie and a pay-per-view special.*He was our partner in life and now he's our partner in death."*Phillips claimed the production budget for the shows reached $25 million, which also covered 3-D "mini-movies" of Thrillerand Earth Song. He also said that, aside from AEG,*the Jackson estate would get the "lion's share" of any profits from the high-def footage. (Photos*of MJ's last rehearsals.)The recordings were reportedly*"great," with the last day on Wednesday being the "best," and all of them*"enough for a show," NBC News reported at the time. The*includes production meetings and auditions and behind-the-scenes showing Jackson and his dancers*occupying several spaces*in the Staples Center, and Michael going from room to room supervising the rehearsals.*The Los Angeles Timesand the AP also reported that the singer liked how*the concert*was*developing.*

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.c...-jackson-concert-film-bidding-started-at-50m/

Re: Studios Competing For Michael Jackson Concert Film; Bidding Began At $50M

And more fuel for the fire...

50 million! Looks like AEG are going to make their money back after all.

50 million! Looks like AEG are going to make their money back after all.

Was that even a question? They're going to have a BIG payday when all is said and done.

The recordings were reportedly*"great," with the last day on Wednesday being the "best," and all of them*"enough for a show," NBC News reported at the time.
Oh I'm so "exciting"
As soon as mj died, they went on quickly to discuss about how to make money off the rehearsal footages?
OMG..it seems like they know MJ was going to die before the shows will even start. These footages I can tell you all will be very very very sad to watch and it's gonna ruin all people's memory of him as the greatest entertainer he was.

I don't think the rehearsals will damage his legacy. If anything, I think it may shut some people up. Hell, the Dangerous Tour rehearsals I enjoyed more than the actual concert.

Well, despite how I feel about all of this, I want to see this rehearsal. I think it should be released, no matter how it is.

I don't understand why they are shopping it around with studios though, what are they going to with it? AEG could easily just create a dvd themselves for sale. Why would a movie studio buy the footage?

damn,they didnt waste anytime did they? pricks.

If I was AEG, I would have immediately put it under lock and key also. It was necesary to do. Sometimes there is just "business" that has to be taken care of at the time of death. Lesson personally learned.

@ sifa, couldn't they do both and cash in twice!?!

At this time, the public just wants to feel Michael--his presence and his art. That can not be denied. So, yes, there will be a huge demand for this. While it may net a lot of money, for many in the public, it is more about the man himself.

He is being sorely missed. People know how close we were to seeing him back on stage and it is making a lot sick to think that it will not happen again. Yes, it was taken for granted while he was here; but again, a lot of people thought he would be one of those people who was always there. There is a huge hole there and people know it and want it filled. Unfortunately, the media will concentrate on the business side as they do with everything. But, don't think for a moment there isn't another side that has to do with Michael himself being loved and missed dearly.

I think for many people, it is their way of trying to hold on to him. They still feel as if they can hold on and not think that the man himself is no longer with us.

@ sifa, couldn't they do both and cash in twice!?!

No, once they sell the rights, they can't use it themselves. If they use it themselves, there'd be no reasons for anyone to buy the rights anymore.

Bloody Hell...
Lets hope that whoever gets the footage will do something respectful and appropriate with it.

I personally think that ANYTHING with Michael should be released.
I'm talking all demos, all recorded songs, all concerts, everything.
There is no use of having these recordings just lying around and fade to oblivion when people can enjoy them.

It would be so sweet if we could get a huge pack, like a "The Lost Treasures" with just a load of unreleased material + demos + rehearsals. Because if it will be distributed that way then people will understand what it is, and take it for what it is.
I'm afraid that if they will release the rehearsals as a single DVD then people will be disappointed because they are naive to think it's an actual concert, and not a rehearsal.
Just imagine the fact that you don't have a crowd there, to have the crowd screaming is half the pleasure.

These footages I can tell you all will be very very very sad to watch and it's gonna ruin all people's memory of him as the greatest entertainer he was.
Michael look like a fine performer to me. I think you are a bit worried. Most ppl who look that the video said michael looked healthy and were surprise with his passing. Non fans (meaning not us) too. Just go to youtube and see what ppl are saying. Its not as bad as you are making it out to be.

It will be great to see michael smiling joking and such in his last days. chill out. Michael looked great performing TII on tuesday. I think your feelings of michael's inability to actually complete TII is casing doubt on his rehearsal now.:scratch: I don't think no matter how good michael looked for TII rehearsals, some will find fault with it because its what they want to see. And no matter how bad you think this rehearsal will be, that will never erase years of michael's amazing videos and performances. calm down.

So many ppl was counting michael out since before the concert were annouced. so annoying. I hate that this was michael final chapter and he didn't get a chance to prove the ppl wrong. I look forward to the rehearsals being released.

his songs shouldbe for his children. THEY should decide, as adults, what should be released and whatnot, not a studio.

thanx for this faze...this just shows how ready to cash in, aeg seems to be.

especially since their 'promise' to not do any thing w/o the approval of mj's 'estate' seems to loom on them, they've just found a loophole. bonus?

we all knew AEG would make a profit out of Michael somehow- dead or alive.

I doubt that releasing this would harm Michael's reputation in any way.

Despite the email from Marika that was posted, I believe all the dancers and those who were on stage with him and said that he danced as good as before and that he would do an amazing show. No matter how mesmerized you are by him, you CAN'T be THAT blind!!!
When people want to perform well, they can. I learned about Michael's passing an hour before an important exam. When my mom saw me, she was scared to death for me, she truly thought I would collapse there and then. I went in tears into that exam. And you know what? I got a perfect 10! As much as it shocked me as well, I could do it, even if I'd just suffered the biggest loss in my life.

I honestly believe Michael performed well at those rehearsals. And it's not that I want to believe it, it's how I honestly feel.

I'm just glad we will see the rehearsals. Something to ease the pain.

Just wow. And they dare to charge full price for the tickets?

Well, despite how I feel about all of this, I want to see this rehearsal. I think it should be released, no matter how it is.

I'd like to see too.

it's weird the 1st time i read this thread... i was thinking 'soul' instead of 'concert film'

nothing wrong with them releasing it, but WAIT!

NO...... NOOOOOOO...NOOOOOO! We should stop this! People ! Think! This was JUST a rehearsal! Michael wasn't in his top form anyway! You want him to be remembered that way?

This was always going to get released. Michael's estate will make money out of this as well. And why not get the most money for it. Get real. Michael's genius and his last performances he did before his death needs to shared and seen. And why shouldn't Michael get bills paid off because of it.

This dvd should be released sooner or later, so people know well that michael loved his fans and died doing what the fans loved and wanted, we should see it, i know its hard for us as a fans, personally i still cant believe he left earth! this bring pain in my heart, and i dont like the idea that AEG is selling this footage rights! now i guess they are trying to cash ;S

At this time, the public just wants to feel Michael--his presence and his art. That can not be denied. So, yes, there will be a huge demand for this. While it may net a lot of money, for many in the public, it is more about the man himself.

He is being sorely missed. People know how close we were to seeing him back on stage and it is making a lot sick to think that it will not happen again. Yes, it was taken for granted while he was here; but again, a lot of people thought he would be one of those people who was always there. There is a huge hole there and people know it and want it filled. Unfortunately, the media will concentrate on the business side as they do with everything. But, don't think for a moment there isn't another side that has to do with Michael himself being loved and missed dearly.

I think for many people, it is their way of trying to hold on to him. They still feel as if they can hold on and not think that the man himself is no longer with us.

well if the estate is going to make money off this then that means his kids will benefit....

we have to realize that Michael set up his will for his estate to make money off his hard work....that is why he chose Branca and McCain....

Michael wanted his work to live on.... and he knew the value....

and Classic is right... the public is hungry for more Michael now than ever...

when I went to the electronic section in a store to look a TVs the cd section was close and people were looking for MJ music....none was on the shelf....... the main video area hand Black/white playing and the kids ran from their parents to be right infront of the TV to watch Michael....

the appetite of the public will grow....

Last edited:
Back