Gary oks Michael Jackson festival

Moulin Rouge

Proud Member
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/gary/article_6d32188c-89a8-5946-88fb-9c0c0ffe2f72.html

GARY | Gary has contracted with a newly formed group to host a multi-venued festival in the city honoring Michael Jackson.

The Gary Board of Public Works approved a one-year contract Wednesday with an Addison, Ill.-based group LGR Partners. The contract is renewable up to four years.

Under its proposal, LGR would host an August festival commemorating Jackson's summer birth and death.

City spokeswoman LaLosa Burns called LGR's proposal of a Legends Weekend "inviting." She said hosting such events can be "a very good economic development tool" for beleaguered cities such as Gary.

The group could relieve the city of celebration duties it took on following the King of Pop's death in June 2009.

The city arranged a large-scale memorial at the U.S. Steelyard weeks after the singer died and another at the Jackson family home on the one-year anniversary of his death.

Under the city's contract, LGR would front all of costs of hosting its events, including execution and clean-up. City lawyer Susan Severtson described LGR as "special events coordinators, marketing experts."

"We're not paying them," Severtson said.

The project will be funded on private sponsorships and investments, LGR partner and spokesman Jeff Funderburg said.

Under the deal, once LGR covers its expenses, Severtson said, it then would donate 20 percent of any profits back to the city.

Severtson did not provide a copy of the contract, saying it would be fully executed when signed by Mayor Rudy Clay, who was in Indianapolis Wednesday.

She said the city wants to review the group's incorporation documents before finalizing the deal.

Funderburg said the group, incorporated in Delaware, recently formed specifically for the Jackson proposal. He said LGR also has been in talks about hosting a June memorial with the so-called Jackson Family Foundation, the group trying to build a $300 million shrine to the Jacksons in the Steel City.

"We're supportive of each other's interests," Funderburg said of the foundation.

Severtson said the new contract was not in response to a bid from the city. Rather, she said LGR approached city officials several months ago with the plan.

"It sounded like something we wanted to try out," she said. "Hopefully it will be successful."

Re: City OKs Jackson-events contract

I hope it can be done again:wub:

Gary has contracted with a newly formed group to host a multi-venued festival in the city honoring Michael Jackson.

The Gary Board of Public Works approved a one-year contract Wednesday with an Addison, Ill.-based group LGR Partners. The contract is renewable up to four years.

Severtson did not provide a copy of the contract, saying it would be fully executed when signed by Mayor Rudy Clay, who was in Indianapolis Wednesday.

She said the city wants to review the group's incorporation documents before finalizing the deal.

Funderburg said the group, incorporated in Delaware, recently formed specifically for the Jackson proposal.

They incorporated RECENTLY specifically for the Jackson proposal. Why can't an organization that is already up and running, with EXPERIENCE already in place, come in with this type of proposal? This appears to be just ANOTHER money grab using the name of Michael Jackson, in my opinion.

Severtson did NOT provide a copy of the contract - Why not I wonder?

I also wonder what happened to the group who orgainzed the "MJ Weekend Events" last year.

I mean no offense, but in my opinion, anything that goes down in Gary always seems like a TACKY money making scheme to me.

if this turns out to be annual and for Michael... Because i can see Michael wanting to help the area he grew up in (until he was like 8) i do think this is a good idea. We have a community fundraiser in my town and it seemed to work well. If this helps Michaels community then i don't see anything wrong with it. However if they are just using Michael's name to get funds and nothing more then i see something wrong with it. I hope they have mj related activity's and things like that. KFC for the dinner and stuff like that there.

They incorporated RECENTLY specifically for the Jackson proposal. Why can't an organization that is already up and running, with EXPERIENCE already in place, come in with this type of proposal? This appears to be just ANOTHER money grab using the name of Michael Jackson, in my opinion.

Severtson did NOT provide a copy of the contract - Why not I wonder?

I also wonder what happened to the group who orgainzed the "MJ Weekend Events" last year.

I mean no offense, but in my opinion, anything that goes down in Gary always seems like a TACKY money making scheme to me.

:agree:

I'm also thinking about it. Well, any member of the Jackson family is involved this? :fear: Estate? :scratch:

I'd love it to be released more informations about this event. -_- :timer:

I'm also thinking about it. Well, any member of the Jackson family is involved this? Estate?

For me personally, the biggest problem is that the Estate of Michael Jackson is not involved. If they were involved, I'm sure the event would be worthwhile and could turn into a yearly event. They would probably also be able to secure some top notch sponsorships.

Without the Estate's participation, I'm not interested, to be honest.

The Mayor of Gary is involved, which means Joe Jackson is not far behind. LOL! One's a crook and the other is a further liability. LOL!

Thanks, but NO THANKS!

For me personally, the biggest problem is that the Estate of Michael Jackson is not involved. If they were involved, I'm sure the event would be worthwhile and could turn into a yearly event. They would probably also be able to secure some top notch sponsorships.

The Mayor of Gary is involved, which means Joe Jackson is not far behind. LOL! One's a crook and the other is a further liability. LOL!

Thanks, but NO THANKS!
:rollin: my sentiments exactly!!! LOL!

As others have posted, I don't like this because the estate is not involved. It seems anything that Gary has planned involves of course Joe, and well I don't trust him to say the least, everything he touches when it comes to his own son seems tainted and unsavory, not from the heart, if you know what I mean.

I'm excited though that the estate is planning an official fan festival for Michael. Now that I will def. participate in!

Thanks, but NO THANKS!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BINGO!!!!

Thanks, but NO THANKS!

Yes.... :fear:

Well, now I'm really worried. :unsure: I hope that more informations are disclosed.

Awsome news to hear for the small town. there's no other mj festival or celebration in the world I'd go to rather than one in gary, Indiana!! :) :)

For the mere fact that Gary is Michael's birthplace, I'd love to see it happen, as long as it is legit. I say, let's wait and see.

For the mere fact that Gary is Michael's birthplace, I'd love to see it happen, as long as it is legit. I say, let's wait and see.
Me too. I wish they would have done something like this when he was alive to show their appreciation but better late than never. If done right this could be good for Michael's legacy and it could help the city.

At this point, the ONLY thing that will help the city suceed will be a NEW MAYOR. That's for starters.

I wonder what happened to the "organization" that was in there last summer? Did they realize that they were dealing with a crook, or did they just take the money and run? Their goal was ALSO to do something annually. I wonder what changed their mind.

Next year at this time, I expect to hear yet ANOTHER organization is coming in to take their turn at organizing an annual Michael Jackson event.

Back