Michael Jackson Demanded MTV Call Him “The King Of Pop” At Least Twice Per Week???

tumblr_mh9a4jdtm71rhk2w1o2_250.gif
tumblr_mdxt67va7v1qh7ov5o2_r1_250.gif

elbtj9.gif

Whether Michael preferred being called "King of Pop" or not, I don't think he was trying to be pretentious about it. He earned that title, and I rather see him as "King of Entertainment or "King of Hearts" :) The medialoids are hypocrites anyway.

morinen;3789446 said:
The fact that the “King Of Pop” title originated from Michael’s camp was confirmed by multiple accounts over the years. There is really no point in arguing with it. 1. From the Rolling Stone article "Michael Jackson's dangerous mind" (1992): "Which explains the November 11th, 1991, memo, typed on MTV Networks letterhead, that was circulated among the MTV staff the week before "Black or White" was first shown. The memo directed all on-air personnel to refer to Jackson as "the King of Pop" at least twice a week over the next two weeks. It also thanked staff members for their cooperation, adding that "Fox and BET are already doing this." "The fact is that a lot of people have changed their names recently," says Tom Freston, chairman and CEO of MTV Networks, in defense of the company's actions. "M.C. Hammer is now Hammer, and Michael Jackson is 'the King of Pop.' Who are we to stand in front of the wheels of progress? Whatever they want to call themselves, we try and oblige." So MTV and the others dubbed him "the King of Pop" and showed his video, and the world went crazy." 2. Taiwanese music promoter remembers Dangerous tour: "He remembered that Michael especially requested the 'King of Pop' title had to be included on the promotional posters, clearly showing that Michael was very confident that he was definitely the 'King of Pop'!" http://mjmemoriestaiwan.blogspot.com/2010/12/music-promoter-in-taiwan-remembers.html 3. Larry Stessel, an executive at Epic Records remembers (from the book “I Want My MTV"): "Michael called me one day and said, "I want to have a nickname, like 'The Boss' or 'The King.'" I said, "Well, Bruce Springsteen is 'The Boss,' and Elvis Presley is 'The King.' You can't be the King because you'll never live it down. The press will rip you apart." But Michael would not let this go. He hired his own personal publicist, Bob Jones. And one day, Bob issued a press release announcing that Michael Jackson was the King of Pop. Michael went rogue on us." http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/why-michael-jackson-is-called-the-king-of-pop 4. John Branca confirmed this in the Immortal documentary. 5. Finally, Bob Jones in his book revealed that Elizabeth Taylor's speech in which she called Michael "The king of pop, rock and soul" was written by him. Which, no matter how uncredible you deem Bob Jones, fits all of the above. And it's not the kind of fact that you would randomly make up. That said, I really don't understand why everyone - both fans and media - make such a fuss about it. Fans insisting on Michael's version that he presented to Oprah (which is naive, really), and media inserting "self-proclaimed" at every opportunity and recycling this snide over and over again. I'm sure many of the big titles not only in the music industry, but in history overall were self-asserted. And in Michael’s case – he totally deserved a title, even bigger than “KOP”. Should he have waited for the media to confer it on him? Excuse me, but the only thing he could get from them was “Wa**o Ja**o”. So he went on and took what was his due. If anything, I admire his boldness and his strive to carve his image in history. All this sneer and battles will die down in 30 years. And the title will remain.
I have no problem with it if it originates from Michael's camp, however all these stories are from the early 90s, while we have articles calling him the King of Pop as far back as 1984. We don't know (at least I don't) if those too were suggested by Michael's camp, or, on the contrary, those initial articles gave him the idea to pick up that title and use it as a marketing tool later on.

I think it’s absolutely fine if Michael did come up with the name himself and wanted to be called that. People with far less talent, success and influence have similar nicknames, why shouldn’t he? I see nothing wrong with him wanting recognition for his talent and hard work.

But it doesn’t even matter who came up with that name first, what matters is that Michael is the King of Pop. It’s ridiculous for the media to call him the “self-proclaimed King of Pop” when everybody agrees that he is the King of Pop. If people didn’t feel the nickname suits him nobody would call him that. The media has called pretty much every Justin, Robbie and Adam the new king of pop, but nobody actually calls them that because everybody knows the king of pop is Michael.

I have no problem with it if it originates from Michael's camp, however all these stories are from the early 90s, while we have articles calling him the King of Pop as far back as 1984. We don't know (at least I don't) if those too were suggested by Michael's camp, or, on the contrary, those initial articles gave him the idea to pick up that title and use it as a marketing tool later on.
There were about 4 or 5 articles in different papers which mentioned it before 1989, but none from any of the magazines he did interviews with, like JET, Ebony, etc

well, at least Michael earned that title - as opposed to the random people, who recieves it after 1 hit song....

Thats it!

The articles like that about the two guys from MTV promoting their book for free exploiting MJs name (in the negative way) claim/indicate that it was Michael Jackson personally who somewhere at the office had demanded the title... like... "I want you to call me the King of Pop, ok? Because I want to be the King of Pop!"

And/but we have the 1984 NY Post or Chicago Sun articles like evidence that this title was publicly used long before any rumours from MTV in 1991!

I do believe that it wasnt Michael personally who came up with and wanted and insisted on this title, but agreed to use it as a brand, Bob Jones was the fugure who can be blamed for that fuss over spreading such stupid slander, because now media can again use it against Michael, not against Bob Jones, not against his managing camp and so.called managers like Dieter Wiesner..., but against Michael as a person!

They (many reporters) can feel free to vilify Michael and make fun of him reporting about a self-proclaimed King of Pop, suggesting that Michael was begging for the title, because nobody called him the King..., and how egocentric, outrageous ... he was, not only wa*ko or d. addict...

I call it the anti-Jackson agenda!

Its not about MJ fans, not about what they think about that rumour, what they know about that, not about how we/fans want to console ourselves... because MJ is the KoP for us, what he means for us and blah blah......, we are not inportant!

The most important thing is the public opinion, what people/readers can rethink of Michael..., the public image about MJ...
The damage has been done. AGAIN.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought that these media people only have a problem with Michael being called the King of POP? If he was called the King of R&B or King of Dance they wouldn't have a problem. It's only because he was called the King of POP. These media people think that the word POP belongs exclusively to white artists and they think that the word KING belongs only to Elvis. It is racism, pure and simple and there is no getting around it. I don't believe that Michael DEMANDED to be called the King of Pop. Eddie Murphy said it best when he did a Rolling Stone interview and said that the white media always wants to give black entertainers "#@$%-up names and give them names that THEY(the media) wants to put on them. There is no one who deserves the title KING of POP(popular music) more than Michael and these media types KNOW that to be a fact.

I don't care who gave Michael the name. He deserved it after working so hard his whole life. However, what bothers me is when haters and Elvis fans say "He was only self-proclaimed" as if to say that he doesn't rightfully deserve the title. Regardless of who said it first, it was a title widely accepted by fans, nonfans (not haters), and the press because they know it's true. That's why it's still used to today, globally, not just in the US. When people hear "King of Pop" they KNOW it's Michael Jackson and they think of no one else. Everybody knows that's his title.

If Michael came up with it, good for him! I see it as him taking a stand for himself to the media, quite honestly. If he didn't, then that's ok too. Who cares. I personally find the title to be inaccurate because he didn't sing just "pop" music, he sang a little bit everything. King of Pop, Rock, and Soul makes more sense than, "King of Pop." It's unfair that they keep trying to underrated him and degrade him all the time. He worked his ass off. I have a very similar perfectionist work ethic as Michael and I understand how much work he put into everything. He deserves all he has accomplished.

With all due respect to Elvis (very talented, nonetheless), his King of Rock and Roll title is a real head scratcher to me...

I don't care who gave Michael the name. He deserved it after working so hard his whole life. However, what bothers me is when haters and Elvis fans say "He was only self-proclaimed" as if to say that he doesn't rightfully deserve the title.

They should ask whether Elvis deserves his title. He didn't write or compose any of his songs, all songs were someone else's work.

Looking at Jimi Hendrix's experience, I'd say Michael Jackson earned the right to be called "King Of Pop."

Jimi Hendrix started his first band in 1962 in Clarksville, Tennessee, with a friend, Billy Cox. This band, called The King Kasuals, had a modest amount of success on the live circuit in Nashville and later on the so-called Chitlin Circuit around the Deep South, but the combination of racial barriers in the South with Hendrix's as yet undeveloped sound conspired to keep the band from real, mainstream recognition. His work on the Chitlin Circuit won him jobs as a session musician backing artists like Little Richard and B.B. King, but Hendrix soon became frustrated and craved his own taste of the limelight.

Tired of the racial segregations of the South, Hendrix moved to Harlem for a better shot at the big time. His first taste of the limelight came when he won the top prize at an Apollo theater open mic night in 1964. More work as a session musician followed, and Hendrix toured with The Isley Brothers, Ike and Tina Turner, and Little Richard again. Little Richard and Ike and Tina Turner each kicked Hendrix out of their bands for stealing too much of the spotlight when he was on stage with them.

After playing off and on in New York City between his touring, Hendrix got his first big break. The then girlfriend of Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones saw Hendrix play and fell in love with his music. She used her music connections to get his music heard by labels and producers. One musician, Chas Chandler of The Animals, took a shine to Hendrix's music and offered to manage and produce him. Chandler convinced Hendrix to follow him to London, a trip that would take the career of Jimi Hendrix in a new direction.

The move to the UK proved to the right one for Hendrix. He formed a band, called The Jimi Hendrix Experience, with British musician friends of Chandler's, and Chandler also managed to get Hendrix on stage with Pete Townsend and Eric Clapton's Cream. The British music scene embraced Hendrix, and it is from this period that one of his most known songs, Purple Haze, was born. He released his first full length album, Are You Experienced, in 1967, in the UK and Europe. His extensive touring to promote the album also earned him a reputation for being a must-be-seen-to-be-believed showman.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze (Music Video)

Despite the UK success, Hendrix had yet to break into the U.S. market. Are You Experienced eventually got a half hearted American release, without much promotion behind the album. The tides changed in the U.S. thanks to Paul McCartney, who suggested that The Jimi Hendrix Experience be include on the bill of the legendary Monterey International Pop Festival. Hendrix's performance at this festival sent him exploding into the U.S. mainstream music world.

http://music.lovetoknow.com/Jimmy_Hendrix_Career

Michael Jackson also worked the Chitlin Circuit when he first started out in his Career, in the 1960's. It wasn't mainsteam, as their were racial barriers.

Michael Jackson removed those racial barriers at MTV. Michael Jackson is the "King Of Pop"!

yeah...that's right...someone held a gun to Elizabeth Taylor's head and forced her to proclaim what she proclaimed, giddily, with a big smile, during a presentation to Michael..'The King of Pop rock and Soul!!' and..all those fans at his concerts had guns held to their heads when they held up signs saying 'King of Pop'. Sure. Right. Ok. Whatever.
Anyway, if you're the best selling of all time, you ARE a monarch.

But then again, The music sales had a gun held to their head, too. Sure.

There are people out there who just never stop envying Michael.

Frankly I don't give a flying nun whether Michael came up with KoP or not. The fact is that had Michael been white I don't think any media would feel the need to add "self proclaimed" to the title.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if Michael was trying to push the title or not. If so, it was smart marketing savvy on his part, anyway. Fact remains he WAS the King of Pop. It was widely accepted by the general public. It's not like it was an unjustified title.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if Michael was trying to push the title or not. If so, it was smart marketing savvy on his part, anyway. Fact remains he WAS the King of Pop. It was widely accepted by the general public. It's not like it was an unjustified title.

Not was The King Of Pop. He IS The King Of Pop

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Courtney

With all due respect to Elvis (very talented, nonetheless), his King of Rock and Roll title is a real head scratcher to me...
U can say that again! All I can say about that is if it wasn't Elvis it would have been another white guy they would have given that title to regardless. I don't think I have to say why, that is if some know their history!-_-

Last edited:
If Michael asked MTV to address him as The King of Pop Cool in my book... It just makes Michael even more brilliant to me.

In my opinion it's not a big deal if Michael came up with the title or not. White media always used lame monikers for black entertainers. I'm glad stood up for himself and challenged the media. And he was even modest, because "King of Pop" is a very limited title for him.

"They print my message in the Saturday sun, I had to tell em I ain't second to none".

I always assumed this line was referencing hm telling the press he was the king of pop.

By seeing how uncomfortable and shy he always looked when being complimented and praised, I would find it hard to believe that he would demand being called the King of Pop

I've never liked MTV. Michael more or less gave the channel the status it had at its prime and then they just turned around and stabbed him in the back. They can't handle that they themselves could do it but needed MJ to help them and this is how they try to turn things around so people wont remember that.

Well they would've called him ***** if it wasn't for the KOP title every now and then. Can see why he wanted to be called something else.

It's interesting... many musicians now try this kind of thing. P Diddy had an advert where literally the tag line was, "I am King."

"Watch The Throne" by JayZ/Kanye was obviously proclaiming their seat.

Justin Timberlake's tour is called "Legends of The Summer."

Beyonce's new song/photo she posted was "Bow down", "Bow down, bitches", etc. singing about her crown, while she wears a royal outfit.

Justin Bieber has a crown tattooed to his chest.

But if Michael Jackson were to do that...

Back