7th April - Unveiling of MJ statue @ Craven cottage (Fulham Football stadium)- Thread updated

Motsey

Proud Member
As you may know Mohammed Al Fayed will be unveiling his tribute statue of the man him self, Mr Michael Jackson on the 3rd April 2011.

http://www.rwdmag.com/2011/03/fulham-f-c-set-to-unveil-michael-jackson-statue/

Al Fayed said the statue will be for Fulham and Michael Jackson fans alike I hope that many fans of his will visit the statue at the Cottage from far and wide, and that Fulham fans will appreciate seeing the finest performer in the world, in and amongst them, the finest fans in the world.”

MICHAEL JACKSON STATUE – FULHAM FOOTBALL CLUB – PRIVATE FAN VIEWING

THURSDAY 7TH APRIL 2011

6.30 – 8.30pm
Craven Cottage
Stevenage Road
Fulham
London SW6

The nearest tube station is Putney Bridge and the Cottage is approximately a 20 minute walk from here.

We will be arriving at Putney Bridge by 5.45pm and leaving to walk to Fulham Football Club by 6pm if you would like to meet us there.

For those of you who wish to travel directly to the grounds we will wait for you outside until 6.30pm. If you think you may arrive later, please do not panic: your name will be left with the staff on the door.

We have arranged with Fulham to have use of the bar so you will be able to get a drink at least!

The area around the Cottage is residential so some of the roads may be quite busy, but you are able to park along the Stevenage Road (on which the Stadium is based) after 5pm for free. Before then, there is a pay at meter system in place.

There are disabled parking spaces along some of the surrounding roads but if you are able to park on the Stevenage Road, this will be easier for you.

Entry to the ground on the evening will be via Gate 50 – Security. A list of names will be held at the Gate and you will be issued with a pass on arrival. Fulham have advised us that No Pass = No Entry.

PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE SUBMITTED THE NAMES OF EVERYONE ATTENDING WITH YOU!!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...1.475376,-0.217484&spn=0.005413,0.014452&z=17

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Help/VisitorsGuide.aspx#PublicTransport

Last edited:
Motsey hi! I hope you are well!

Can I possibly ask a favour? Its a fantastic idea but there is the huge potential here for trouble for MJ fans.

I have already been in touch with FFC about this event and our attendance is in discussion with them. I have been promised an official response but unofficially a lot of fans have been contacting them and Mr AlFayed directly and they have now asked for us to stop.

They are aware of the amount of abusive behaviour on their own facebook site and official forum and are investigating this too.

I think if we all rock up there in full dress and singing/dancing we might find we are met with huge hostility.

Before anything too huge is arranged can we hang fire for an official response? I would hate for us all to turn up and be met with a bunch of raging football thugs and the club themselves may not even allow us in... It's actually inside the club and requires ticket purchase (£35 I believe). I am seeing if we can work something out with them so that we can do this peacfully

Re: 3rd April - Unveiling of MJ statue @ Craven cottage (Fulham Football stadium)

Thanks Diane, I would hate for there to be trouble. I'm not going to be going I don't think. Last thing I want is abuse :unsure: I know thats probably the wrong approach but I would find that really hard. I will wait to see what they come back with though. :)

Re: 3rd April - Unveiling of MJ statue @ Craven cottage (Fulham Football stadium)

As soon as I get a response I will let you know Stacey :)

Thankyou :)

Thanks Diane for contacting them and yes good idea to see what is going to happen (although it seems Mr. Al Fayed is hoping/welcoming MJ fans to attend but I'm sure several people will update as time goes on). Motsey will update this at some point this week but if anyone has any info/suggestions then please do post them so we're all up to speed on what's going on/what people want to do.

There is interest from fans outside of MJJC as well so hopefully there will be a good attendance which is something I've missed - seeing loads of MJ fans together in one place :(

Fingers crossed this all goes smoothly! Anyone else on here hoping to attend?

If it does require buying a ticket of any kind then I will DEFINITELY NOT be coming I'm afraid. It's all well and good commissionig the statue to attract peopel to Fulham etc but to make people buy a ticket for the privilage of seeing a statue which may not bare too much resemblance to Michael (looking at the leaked picture - side view) is a bit of a piss take IMO. But I'll wait for official confirmation of details first.

Update:
Fulham PO has informed me that they are still discussing the arrangements for the event. I should have an official response early next week.

I am hoping to come to this and I will be bringing 4 other people in the car too

Update:
Fulham PO has informed me that they are still discussing the arrangements for the event. I should have an official response early next week.

I ried chasing them up regarding this and will do again early on this week and try to get fixed what they are planning for this.

I am hoping to come to this and I will be bringing 4 other people in the car too

Cool at least there will be 7 of us attending this(You 5 + Me & Spoonie) and im sure thee are a few others not on MJJC attending this - should be good

- Im going to ask Fullham if they have any security plans for this and what they expect from Fullham fans on the day so people can decide if it would be ok for them to go up, I will still be going regardless :yes: and personally feel it wont be so bad.

Thanks for trying to find out you guys. :)

Just read this on the Metro site;

The statue, depicting Jackson in one of his most iconic poses, will be situated on the banks of the River Thames, next to the Riverside and Hammersmith Stands at Fulham’s ground.
Think the banks of the river are just outside the stadium but I will find out from the club themselves soon and let you guys all know - I wonder which iconic pose this will be,hope its good.

Ive read it will be unvailed on Sunday 3rd at 12pm so guys gotta get be up early on a sunday! Lol

Also I read that the staue was marked to go in harrods but when Al fayad sold that he offered to the O2 but guess nothing came of that so its going at craven Cottage, thats a shame.

Think the banks of the river are just outside the stadium but I will find out from the club themselves soon and let you guys all know - I wonder which iconic pose this will be,hope its good.

Ive read it will be unvailed on Sunday 3rd at 12pm so guys gotta get be up early on a sunday! Lol

Also I read that the staue was marked to go in harrods but when Al fayad sold that he offered to the O2 but guess nothing came of that so its going at craven Cottage, thats a shame.

That's what I heard to. The o2 still aren't happy with us because some fans grafittied on the walls and trees when the tribute wall was up but oh well, never mind. Will def try and make sure I attend this.

The statue is already in-situ and photos have been leaked. When the photo was taken it is not on the banks of the river but actually just inside the ground at the Hammersmith end just outside the stands... will try and find the photo - oh and just to warn you, its coloured and looks plastic....

The statue is already in-situ and photos have been leaked. When the photo was taken it is not on the banks of the river but actually just inside the ground at the Hammersmith end just outside the stands... will try and find the photo - oh and just to warn you, its coloured and looks plastic....

Are you refering to the Gold & white one? Ive googled and keep getting that one but thats not it

Statue.jpg
[/IMG]

Are you refering to the Gold & white one? Ive googled and keep getting that one but thats not it

There ya go Motsey

There ya go Motsey

Ooo yes i see what you mean now - Hmm I would still like to go and see it tho I think, see what it looks like close up.

But your right it doesnt look the best and yep plastic/cheap - I soo want to see the face and am hopeing its good!

Ooo yes i see what you mean now - Hmm I would still like to go and see it tho I think, see what it looks like close up.

But your right it doesnt look the best and yep plastic/cheap - I soo want to see the face and am hopeing its good!

Same here Motsey - I really want to go. I know Fulham and AlFayed have been getting inundated with emails and requests so I don't want to be a pain and get us banned but I'm anxious for an answer. I have left this in the hands of a member of staff at FFC who has promised to come back to me early next week with a response so fingers crossed we will get in without a ticket.

If you look on the FFC facebook page there has been lots of abuse levelled at Michael's fans over this but some of the fans have not helped themselves by their reactions :no:

Sorry I will not attend now too much oversensitivity :-(

My attendance will depend on the charge/ no charge situation I'm afraid. Once that's confirmed you will have my answer.

Just to let everyone know if you're thinking of attending please keep an eye on this thread, Motsey has spoken to Fulham FC today both by phone and email and they have agreed to use him as a point of contact regarding this. There is a possibility that THE DATE MAY BE CHANGED (or not) so do keep an eye on this thread and the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=200851983268667

Also, Motsey has been contacted by a journalist to talk about the statue so any advice or if there is anything in particular people want saying? Positive things only though lol

Hi Spoonie/Motsey

I have been contacted by the Press Officer for Fulham about this event too - perhaps I should liaise with you before I post further.

In addition, I was also contacted by the reporter who has requested that I post her contact details here. She is interested in talking to fans who are attending the unveiling (do not tell her about the alternative!!!).

Specifically she wants to know if any of you are planning anything special for the event - music, dressing up etc.

She has requested that I do not print her phone number just her email address - please provide her with your contact details if you are interested in being interviewed:

Hi Diane
I am on sara.munoz@wsj.com
Thanks very much,
Sara Schaefer Munoz
reporter
Wall Street Journal

Holloway excited by Michael Jackson statue (Blackpool Gazette)
Published on Monday 28 March 2011 12:44

POOL’S trip to Fulham on Sunday could be interesting in more ways than one – the home fans are staging a demonstration against owner Mohamed Al Fayed’s statue of Michael Jackson outside the ground.

But while the idea has gone down like a lead balloon with many Fulham supporters, there is one man looking forward to it ... Ian Holloway.

In one of the more surreal developments of the season, Al Fayed announced his tribute to the late pop star, who was a personal friend, and the statue is set to be unveiled on Sunday.

But given that Jackson had nothing to do with the football club – though Al Fayed did invite him to watch a Second Division victory over Wigan in 1999 – it hasn’t gone down well with all supporters.

Hundreds of fans have signed a protest petition and a demonstration is planned on Sunday. However, Holloway is looking forward to seeing the statue and may even take a photograph of it.

“I can’t wait, because love or loathe him Jackson is one of those iconic figures,” said the Pool boss, who likes his music.

“I know some fans are grumbling about the statue but I think it is terrific.

“He was a very special bloke and one of a handful of people I am proud to have been on the planet at the same time as.

“The Beatles, Elvis, Muhammad Ali... they are the great figures of our age. David Beckham will be one day too. They are icons.

“I’ve got a model of Ali at home, back when he was Cassius Clay, in that famous pose over a prostrate Sonny Liston. It’s one of my most treasured possessions and if I could get one of Jackson, I would. In fact, when we go to Fulham I’ll take a little hacksaw, smuggle the statue on the team bus and take it home with me.

“Mind you, what if it does go missing now? They will be straight round to my house. It’s not me, Mr Fayed. I won’t nick it, honest!”

Holloway would do well to smuggle it on to the coach unnoticed. The statue is six feet tall and will show Jackson with ammunition belts strapped across his chest and with what appear to be underpants over his trousers.

^^So it's a pose from the Dangerous Tour

The pop icon will join Fulham Fifties footballing legend Johnny Haynes as the only two club “figures” immortalised at the stadium.

Fans have complained that Mr Fayed is using Craven Cottage as a “dumping ground for his weird statue”, which will make Fulham a “laughing stock”.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/s...y_excited_by_michael_jackson_statue_1_3228354

They can always put it in my garden! lol

Always loved Ian Holloway! haha :D

Hi Spoonie/Motsey

I have been contacted by the Press Officer for Fulham about this event too - perhaps I should liaise with you before I post further.

In addition, I was also contacted by the reporter who has requested that I post her contact details here. She is interested in talking to fans who are attending the unveiling (do not tell her about the alternative!!!).

Specifically she wants to know if any of you are planning anything special for the event - music, dressing up etc.

She has requested that I do not print her phone number just her email address - please provide her with your contact details if you are interested in being interviewed:

Hi Diane
I am on sara.munoz@wsj.com
Thanks very much,
Sara Schaefer Munoz
reporter
Wall Street Journal

Motsey spoke to her on the phone yesterday and she's going to ring back later in the week once things have been confirmed.

She asked him what sort of costumes people would be wearing and part of what I could hear of the conversation sent me into hysterics:

"Some people might wear the Thriller jacket (pause) you know the Thriller jacket (pause) the Thriller jacket (longer pause) well it's....red" LOL

Ok, so i have obviously missed a few developments here. Who's planning on stealing it?

Any way, i should be there. I'll be the alternative looking guy in a Dangerous album cover t-shirt and Slash patch jacket ;) look out for me.

**edit** if they are charging us to see it, i ain't going.

Last edited:

Update:

As Motsey and Spoonie have said - this event is going ahead - between us today we have had confirmation but its important if you intend to be there you need to give your name to Motsey as he started this thread.

It will be a midweek evening event. Before we can confirm anything we need a list of names to put forward.

PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR NAME TO MOTSEY BY FRIDAY IF YOU WISH TO BE ADDED TO THE GUESTLIST.

Thanks guys x

Sorry what's this? It's been moved to midweek evening? Any idea when?

Back