Song, Morphine what is it about?

BillieJean84

Proud Member
In fact, I have a feeling the whole Blood on Dance Floor albums about his drug use, his rehabilitation, etc. I looked at the lyrics to Morphine... Can someone please tell me what Morphine is about? And or at the time he wrote it, was it around the time he admitted to using sleeping meds? (or whatever the drug/s were)

Correct me if I am wrong because as a big fan of MJ's I do not have his past 100% correct.

thanks

first no one has his past 100% correct but him.
Second What you hear is what the song is about.
third not all songs on that album were about drug use.

I think, Morphine is the only song about drug abuse. The other songs are about other things.

Yeah I mean ds is obvious about Tom Sneddon...
Morphine is a very eerie song and I actually first listened to it properly after his death and it was more haunting...I think it is his most haunting song, maybe because of the honesty and lyrics..But also it is really two songs in itself..The hard , rock base and angry lyrics of most of the song to me suggest his feelings when he wanted the mrphine..He is hyper, frantic and in need of it..etc..Then the music changes in between to a more peaceful moment ' relax this won't hurt you...'...To me anyway that part of the song symbolises the peaceful, calm mood the drugs can get you in when they are in your system..

That is just my interpretation but it can be seen in many ways..For intance the lyrics to me suggest he was aware people were concerned but that they shouldn't of been..Demoral, O god he's taking demoral..It was as if mj was portaying other people's reactions to the demoral and yet he saw it as safe..But maybe he did realise the dangers..' Trust in me, put all your trust in me..'

It is a very very powerful song..As powerful as anything he has done..I do think the later albums were much more autobiographical..Blood and Inincible...But this song haunts me tbh

I think, Morphine is the only song about drug abuse. The other songs are about other things.

Me too. About drogs and about bad things that happened. I heard that it was about a couple but I didn't understant :doh:
But I can say if it is about he had use drugs

Morphine was def about drug addiction. Don't think the album as a whole was about that.

Superfly Sister was about sex of course....at least I think so

The middle section of Morphine is so haunting yet amazing, you can hear the heart machines in the bg, it's like he is telling the story of what is to come 13 years later. Listen to the flutes and the machines in the bg as well as the piano and michael, then really focus on the lyrics and put it all together, it's an amazing section of music. His ability to potray emotions was incredible.

As the news yesterday popped up that Dr. Murray's lawers issued a statement Klein gave Michael Demerol in the last 3 months of his life, I had to think of this song again (especially this line "Demerol, oh god he's taking Demerol").

Although I'm a big fan since 1991, I never knew until 25th of June the whole drug thing had so much truth to it, I always assumed most of it was made up by the press.
Which leads me to my question: Do you think "Morphine" was a silent cry for help of Michael to his fans, to the public, his friends or whomever? I mean silent because although it was spoken out by him on a record that sold millions, a song mostly isn't autobiographical. It really bothers me I had no idea in 1997 that the desperation Michael expressed seems to really have been about his own problems. What do you think?

As the news yesterday popped up that Dr. Murray's lawers issued a statement Klein gave Michael Demerol in the last 3 months of his life, I had to think of this song again (especially this line "Demerol, oh god he's taking Demerol").

Although I'm a big fan since 1991, I never knew until 25th of June the whole drug thing had so much truth to it, I always assumed most of it was made up by the press.
Which leads me to my question: Do you think "Morphine" was a silent cry for help of Michael to his fans, to the public, his friends or whomever? I mean silent because although it was spoken out by him on a record that sold millions, a song mostly isn't autobiographical. It really bothers me I had no idea in 1997 that the desperation Michael expressed seems to really have been about his own problems. What do you think?

I'm not sure if Morphine was necessarily a cry for help but lyrically it definately seems to mirror his own experiences.

We're edging towards controversial territory here, but I for one always suspected that he'd never fully recovered from his addiction.

It's been reported that he tried to escape rehab back in 93 after only a few days. He did seem to be over it throughout most of the HIStory era, but fast forward a few years he was slurring his words at MSG, he was obviously in a lot of pain during the trial and he was definately on something in the last few months of his life coming out of Arnold Klein's office high as a kite.

It's difficult to tell, with the lyrics being unclear at certain points. The irony is that it's my all-time favourite song, yet I can't be 100% sure about all the lyrics and his intentions for writing the piece. I guess the reason it's such a powerful song is because of what it tells you despite its lyrics--the melody of it. You start with an aggressive beat and aggressive verse. It's so different from anything else he released, so raw, so intense.

You start out with "He got flat, baby, kicked in the back, baby, a heart attack, baby..." all told from an outsider's perspective by using "he," a detached third person pronoun. You almost think he's going to tell a story, which is the approach he used in Little Susie, another interesting and deeply emotive song of his. You wonder, who is "he", and how did he die of a heart attack? Then, it goes on to address someone: "you make me sick, baby", "All down the line, daddy, I hate your kind, baby." What kind? Assumingly, drug-addicts, since a "line", at least in my interpretation of it--is highly reminiscent of the slang term "lines of cocaine."

The first verse is notorious for using predominantly negative adjectives such as "unreliable," "swine" (interestingly in addressing himself) and negative verbs like "hate," ultimately leaving us with "another drug, baby, you so desire," before switching tone entirely and pleading "trust in me, trust in me, put all your trust in me..."

I think the beginning verse represents a conflict between his attitudes towards drug use and drug addiction in general, and the ultimate addiction he ended up in at that time--we all know Michael did not do recreational drugs, and was not an "addict" in the generally perceived term of the word. Therefore, the lines "you make me sick" would make sense, and the subsequent "he's one of us, baby!" could be the drug addicts who make him sick saying he's, in their eyes, one of them. "Another drug, baby, you so desire..." almost sounds like a taunting remark, as if these imaginary addict archetypes in his mind are saying to him, "well, you might not do coke, or meth, or whatever else, but you certainly are addicted to pain medication in the same way we are psychologically/physically dependent on (desire) our recreational drugs..."

Then, we switch to the pleading, "trust in me, trust in me, put all your trust in me..." followed by the exclamatory, "he's doing morphine!"

The key word in this verse seems to be the word "trust." More importantly, we tie in the concept of trust with that of the song's title and the only noun which comes up in this verse--morphine. Well, a bit of a history lesson here--what we currently recognize as morphine was discovered in the 19th century by German scientist Friedrich Sertürner, and was used throughout the 19th and early 20th century. Especially during WWI, morphine was <b>prescribed by doctors</b> as a painkiller to unsuspecting soldiers, one of the most famous cases of this being German aerial ace Hermann Göring (who remained a morphine addict his entire life.) The highly addictive nature of morphine was not known back then, but it certainly required that the patients put their <b>trust</b> in their doctors, who must have known what they were doing to relieve their pain.

What does this have to do with Michael Jackson? Well, I think it is obvious he placed his trust in the doctors who prescribed him the medications, and I think he is not literally talking about Morphine (modernly, morphine addiction/medical use/illicit use is rather uncommon, having been replaced by the more popular and addictive opiate heroin [which was ironically developed as a cure for morphine addiction.]) It is seldom prescribed by doctors anymore (after its highly addictive qualities were documented given all the morphine-addicted WWI veterans, people became hesitant to prescribe it, and prescribed heroin instead, now, they seldom, if ever, prescribe either out of fear of being sued.)

In any case, we can largely agree that morphine is a symbol--something that was marketed to end your pain, prescribed by a doctor, something you could "trust." So...the exclamation at the end, "you're doing morphine!" (not "I'm doing morphine!") is notably from an outsider's perspective... someone who knows these drugs will turn out to be "morphines," i.e. highly addictive with dubious benefits.

The subsequent knocking and saying "you heard what the doctor said," seems to support my point.

The second verse seems to embody all the media accusations and lies, "you hate your race," "you're just a liar," all things which they accused him of and I have no doubt contributed to his state of mind at the time of the addiction. It is also important to note that he chose to use audio from the 1980 film The Elephant Man--I am sure you all remember the tabloid story about him wanting the bones of Joseph Merrick, etc. but it goes deeper than that--in regards to this verse, especially, with its accusatory "you's" reflecting tabloid lies about him--it is just as in The Elephant Man, in that his life was made a spectacle by the media who abused him as the Victorian circus did Merrick in the 1980 film. In the film, Merrick is revealed to be an artist of fine sophistication, and not an imbecile at all, as he once was thought to be--just as Michael was not at all the sum of all the lies the media said about him. Yet, these verses reveal to us what <i>he</i> had to hear from them... it's no longer "He hates his race," which is detached--it's about a he--but "YOU hate your race," now directly addressing "you."

Where I am admittedly at a loss is in the verses following that. Where he says, "she never cut from me, she never cut, baby, I've got to what baby, you're just a rival." I can see the relation in that (in my own experience) cutting has proven itself to be as addictive as any drug--in fact, they both involve a rush of chemicals, mostly adrenaline in cutting, but in any case--they both produce a sense of relief during painful situations, so the relation to drugs and "morphine" is present from that perspective, but who "she" is? My hypothesis is that "she", just as in Little Susie, is Michael--the more feminine aspect of Michael. The masculine side of him is the angry narrator throughout this entire song, but "she" cuts--she is a depressive, not an aggressive (self-harm and other inwardly aggressive behaviours are considered depressive, as is drug use.) I don't think Michael ever cut, but he was knowledgeable about a lot of things, so is this perhaps his way of comparing his addiction to cutting--as a cry for help, in some cases. Alternately, it could be a reference to "cutting cocaine", as in "she never cut, baby", he could be saying that the painkiller use was never recreational or for "fun," but was in fact strictly medical, and therefore different from the drug use of addicts.

The "you're just a rival" verse and references to rivals throughout the song could be how the media or other artists saw him--as just a rival, competition, etc. and therefore not worthy of help, or at least not convenient to help--you don't help rivals, after all.

As for the "daddy" references, they tend to be pretty negative. If you are to take them literally, then, I suppose they could be in reference to Joe and a desire to always please him only to have him leave in the end. That could be the child in him talking (hence the infantile daddy as compared to the sober and adult father.) It is clear that Joe's coldness towards Michael in childhood really hurt him and caused him great emotional distress (understandably, and I can understand to a degree having no father in my own life, and a cold and largely cruel mother figure.) In any case, this verse could be in reference to that.

After this verse, we have one more "morphine" chorus, followed by a great and very important change--the melody changes from rapid electronic beats to an orchestral piece with a slow piano, which suggests (to me) a state of utter despair despite its high notes. The most important part of the song is at this point.

The tone of Michael's voice also changes, from aggressive to empathetic and consoling/reassuring:

"Relax, this won't hurt you. Before I put it in, close your eyes and count to ten. Don't cry, I won't convert you, there's no need to dismay, close your eyes and drift away."

This sounds to me like a doctor speaking (street thugs aren't going to tell you to relax lol), specifically, a doctor who gave him something that can be equated with "Demerol." It is obvious from this verse that the patient didn't want the demerol, that he was very hesitant about being given any drugs at all, and was evidently very nervous. He had to close his eyes and count to ten, a common stress-reduction technique most people don't revert to unless they are undergoing stress they can't manage through other means. In other words, the stress is so high they have to physically shut out their surroundings, as appears to be the case, with him crying and everything. The "I won't convert you" verse is of real interest--to me, it shows the patient had some suspicions about Demerol and potential addiction, but his doctor reassured him he wouldn't "convert" him to a drug-addict, and that there was no need to dismay (worry), and to just "drift away," in other words, let the drug take effect. (I wonder if the doctor is a Demerol addict himself, from the way he attempts to reassure his patient that the drug won't hurt him and describe the experience as just "drifting away.")

The other parts of the "slow" verse are pretty self-explanatory, with his realization that he has a drug addiction he never asked for due to medical irresponsibility, hence the part "I won't resent you," in which he seems to be addressing himself with the second person pronoun "you." He is not worthy of resentment because he did not go out and seek the Demerol, it wasn't used for "fun," and therefore he is not a drug addict in the way society thinks of them.

The next verse is a repetition of "your dog's a bitch," (or alternately he dug a ditch?) "you make me sick, baby," and "you are a liar," which I have already discussed as outsider's perspectives on him.

The rest I honestly can't say for sure, since I can't really hear what the lyrics say the verses are (and this is true for a lot of the past verses, to which I just went along with what most people seem to think the lyrics are.)

In any case, the final verse is pretty clear--you just sit around talking about it and doing morphine--so the problem is by and large unresolved (or was at whatever point in time he was referring to), we can deduce.

Overall, even with the dispute as to what the lyrics are, the song's message remains unchanged: whether autobiographical or not, the song could be interpreted as being somebody's cry for help. If it is pertaining to him, I think it's talking about the time he was addicted to pain medication--in 1993. I think by the time Blood on the Dance Floor came out, he had enough time to think about his experience with painkillers in 1993, and "Morphine" was born out of it.

Note me in that I don't claim to be right at all--this is just my attempt at analyzing a song that I honestly do not understand to the fullest, so I could be (and probably am)wrong about a lot of things.

Last edited:
Wow! i just have to say, Mikage Souji your interpretations are incredible! You should make some for other songs aswell, i would love to read them!

^Thanks! :D To be honest, the majority of songs I have mused over here (I won't call it interpretation because most of this stuff happens on the spot hence the overall lack of sophistication in my posts) are songs I have not really set out to interpret/decipher.

thank you all... I'll have to read Mikage's post later when I have more time but in the meantime: Do you have a youtube video of Michael coming out "high" out of Klein's office? I remember he seemed different in these videos I saw, but not sure if he was really "on" it...

^mikage, thank you so much for such an outstanding effort! :clapping:

you are a phenomenal writer. i wish you can enlighten us with more of your analysis.

I agree, Mikage, your posts are brilliant. I love reading your interpretations, and to me, they sound spot on. Please, give us more haha...

Your empathy is truly something else. Reading your lines, they make perfect sense, I'd interpret the lyrics in my head, but rather furtively, so this interpretation of yours not only added meat on the bones, but, again... it makes perfect sense. ...

It must have hurt so bad being Michael... I can't even think of this right now.

Your empathy is truly something else. Reading your lines, they make perfect sense, I'd interpret the lyrics in my head, but rather furtively, so this interpretation of yours not only added meat on the bones, but, again... it makes perfect sense. ...

It must have hurt so bad being Michael... I can't even think of this right now.

I feel the same...Whenever I listen to Morphine, it cuts right to the core. His messages in his songs are truly staggering and eye-opening.

Thank you Mikage for your detailed and thorough interpretation of Morphine. That was a great read.

That song has always haunted me. I remember listening to it for the first time and closing my eyes and watching the whole thing unfold, like a short film. It was very eerie and scary, just such a powerful, emotive song! Michael is such a great storyteller and he knew how to inject great emotion and feelings through his lyrics and his vocal delivery. Little suzie is another great one. Both haunting and just brilliant.

How I've always felt about it is that Michael was always against drugs, and this was his way to warn ppl of its dangers, and also at the same tell his own story in dealing with dependency on medications. The" trust in me", is the doctor telling him it's okay I am your doctor you can take this and that and you will be okay. Maybe that is how he explains how he became dependent on medications?

I was wondering if this was an outtake of HiSTORY. It would have fit perfectly in that album because it was autobiographical as much of History's songs were. But maybe they decided to leave out since there were enough songs that were too dark and angry in that album.

The" trust in me", is the doctor telling him it's okay I am your doctor you can take this and that and you will be okay.

:cry:

I was wondering if this was an outtake of HiSTORY. (...) But maybe they decided to leave out since there were enough songs that were too dark and angry in that album.

Let alone they didn't have any space left... they even cut the best part of "Come together" unfortunately.

:cry:

Let alone they didn't have any space left... they even cut the best part of "Come together" unfortunately.

Oh you're so right, I didn't think of that.....

I didn't realize they cut a part of Come Together. Is the full version in Moonwalker? Now I have to go and listen to both he he

Oh you're so right, I didn't think of that.....

I didn't realize they cut a part of Come Together. Is the full version in Moonwalker? Now I have to go and listen to both he he

If you haven't done so yet, go buy Moonwalker Blue-ray. You won't regret it. It's awesome!

As for the HIStory album, yes they did run out of disc space, they needed to either take a whole song out or cut a few bars here and there. Michael opted to do the latter. I think the outtro of Come Together was cut. Michael always preferred to fill an album up with songs.

Sometimes, I wish BOTDF, Morphine, Supafly Sister, Ghost and Is It Scary were released in a studio album with a few more outtakes from the HIStory session, instead of being released in a remix album. These five original songs are criminally underrated and largely unknown to the public.

I consider Morphine the most ambitious and daring work from Michael. Who else can write a song like Morphine? It's painfully, hauntingly beautiful. A song that cuts my heart to pieces...

I was the same, expecially from 2006 - 2009, the media had the occassional story about how Michael was addicted to prescription drugs. I never looked into it and I just passed it off as tabloid nonsense.

Great interpretation Mikage Souji, when I've got more time I'm going to have to sit down and really get into it. Such an easy song to get into because you get so involved in the story like someone else said, it really does unfold like a short-film whilst you listen to it. Incredible song.

If you haven't done so yet, go buy Moonwalker Blue-ray. You won't regret it. It's awesome!

Sometimes, I wish BOTDF, Morphine, Supafly Sister, Ghost and Is It Scary were released in a studio album with a few more outtakes from the HIStory session, instead of being released in a remix album. These five original songs are criminally underrated and largely unknown to the public.

I consider Morphine the most ambitious and daring work from Michael. Who else can write a song like Morphine? It's painfully, hauntingly beautiful. A song that cuts my heart to pieces...

I know what you mean about those 5 original songs; they are all great songs and were lost in the Remix album, such a shame.

The other thing about Morphine is the life orchestration of the song. It's like rock meets classical music and you couple that with Michael's powerful vocals and you have a masterpiece. :D

I know what you mean about those 5 original songs; they are all great songs and were lost in the Remix album, such a shame.

The other thing about Morphine is the life orchestration of the song. It's like rock meets classical music and you couple that with Michael's powerful vocals and you have a masterpiece. :D

:yes::yes:

He really showed how much he cared in his songs.. Vague formulation, but there's nothing too much I can add on this. Even 'Superfly Sister' and "BOTDF", who are provocative songs, he recreated that atmosphere of suffocating danger he had been undergoing, his reactions that he transmitted through song and lyric and dance. Many do not comprehend this so-called craziness in some of his songs, he just faithfully was reproducing the crazy world surrounding this one person. Take a look at "Dangerous'' the cover, quite a few are baffled by it, don't understand its complexity, and some others even called it devilish. Well, that's what the world is, a 'dangerous', devilish one, oftentimes. That was inspired by the depiction of hell that Hyeronimus Bosch did. He (Michael) could've as well choose an album cover representing the Globe encircled by ancient Oroboros, yet the cover for single 'Heal The World' featured two child hands holding a wounded, cracking Globe with a bandage on it. Many were complaining that his music wasn't that rosy or cheerful as back in the Off The Wall days, they're basically wanting him to be a liar and sing whatever they wanted him to sing, that's why rather many are stopping with their praises after 'Thriller'. How sad and unfortunate that his pain was so discredited and grossly misinterpreted, they're viewing him as the weirdo, instead this mad world and the many who piece by piece had crushed him . ..

These are the song sheets for Morphine handwritten by Michael.
Fascinating, don't you think?
You can read his struggle between the lines.
qcfue.jpg'
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
qxp3h.jpg'
[/url]

^^^wow. Pretty powerful stuff to read it on paper with Michael's own hand writing. Thanks

Back