Four Years Left for Global Warming Action!

I'm with MJ: We need to slow global warming!

• No way, I like global warming!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way, I don't believe in global warming!

• No way, I believe in global warming, but not that humans played a big role.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
...Leave compassion to those who actually fucking have it, to quote the great Penn & Teller.

OMG! Penn & Teller are GODS!!! As you can guess about me, I do think their libertarianism obscures their critical thinking on a few issues, but on most things they are dead on and much needed... brilliant, hilarious... a much-needed force. Did you see the Water Steward? (For the curious, these are magicians/humorists/ranters with an agenda, a "physical magic" version of the UK's great "mental magician" Derren Brown... search for these terms on YouTube).

I so appreciate your post... now I'm REALLY off to work...

EDIT

lol Yeah, still here...

You know, Penn & Teller are great friends and admirers of Michael Shermer, who I've just mentioned in another post. If P&T have not yet joined him in a "we were wrong about global warming and cap-and-trade," I would bet big money they will very soon.

Last edited:
I have been a big time believer in global warming for a good 13 or 14 years now. Michael's Earth Song video really made me saw what we are doing to the world. Al Gore's movie An Inconvenient Truth. Made me saw what we are doing to the world even more. I was beyond shock and horrified when I saw the picture of what Antartica looks like now. To compare of what it had looked like 30 some years ago. It is just really upsetting to know that there are people in the world that wants to destroy their planet. I am just glad I am one of those people that wants to save our planet. Which is why 2 of the things that I am very glad that I do now is recycle and that I use fluorescent light bulbs.

What he says before and after ES are my fav parts of the whole movie. Michael was always right about everything and I believe in him and think that we really got 4 years and then everything is over. The end is near

Can you let us know what it was he said -- that would be cool.

I'd have to disagree that Michael was always right about everything. :) Each person really needs to independently determine whether they agree with him on any given subject, absolutely including this one, as Bob George and Muumi do. It's all fair game. No human being has ever deserved to be followed blindly in all things.

If you think the end is near, then that really lets you off the hook for activism. Enjoy yourself! :) Meanwhile, the rest of us will keep pluggin' away... But what if you're wrong... you'd find yourself in a world you didn't take the best care of. Psychologists say that in a situation like this, where there's great uncertainty about the future, that to avoid paralysis, we should act "as if" our actions matter. Because they might. There's no consequences if you act but it wasn't necessary, but there are severe consequences if you DON'T act and it WAS necessary.

This "as if" strategy has been a huge help to me when I started applying it to my own life.

... Al Gore's movie An Inconvenient Truth. Made me saw what we are doing to the world even more. I was beyond shock and horrified when I saw the picture of what Antartica looks like now. To compare of what it had looked like 30 some years ago. It is just really upsetting to know that there are people in the world that wants to destroy their planet. I am just glad I am one of those people that wants to save our planet. Which is why 2 of the things that I am very glad that I do now is recycle and that I use fluorescent light bulbs.

I'm glad too, BollywoodGirl. I too recycle and use fluorescents except in a couple spots where I crave a warmer light; they're amazing. I wept when Gore received the Nobel Prize.

I honestly believe no one WANTS to destroy their planet. Many simply are trying to figure out how to survive the day, others honestly disagree as to the best course, and more, probably most, just don't care.

(I know, I know, you skeptics, it's hard to hold it in when you hear praise for Gore, but there's going to be a lot in this thread, so better prepare yourself... :)

Another suggestion - if you fly a lot, purchase the carbon offsetting when you book your flight...

Also, avoid products that contain palm oil. They are destroying the rainforest in indonesia and are in almost all processed food products, cosmetics etc.

http://www.palmoilaction.org.au/

Dang, I'm sorry to hear that about palm oil -- thanks for the info. Sounds like a good group. I hope there's someone turns up eventually who's doing it sustainably that we can support, which would provide an economic incentive to do it right. I imagine this group is on the lookout for that.

Yeah, Indonesia's habitat loss is a sad situation. Population increase has been dramatic and they're really struggling to cope. As women's rights increase in Islamic countries, fertility rates drop from 6-7 children per woman to 2-3 as they can access contraception and make their own decisions. Women's rights, all human rights, are critical for the environment.

Last edited:
A FUN POST, NOT A DOWNER (I PROMISE), SO INDULGE YOURSELF... :)

How we deal with this psychologically is really something to think about. It's so important not to let ourselves be overwhelmed. It's often best to just pick one or two aspects of this to focus on, and you're getting a good menu of issues and actions to choose from here.

And it will never be done if we don't have... humor. You all must check out this hilarious video of a short skit with Stephen Colbert debating himself on global warming... it's instructive but entertaining (this guy is just brilliant), with a very fun surprise...

Colbert Nation: Global Warming!

Yes, I remember our long discussion on this topic a while back. I hope you learned a lot. And yes, I agree, this time around let's focus on what can be done. So let's do that.

So we've established that the Earth is warming. The global average surface temperature has increased about half a degree celsius over the twentieth century. But is global warming because of us? Well I said in my previous post that I'm not going to argue with conventional wisdom because people are too hell-bent on what they want to believe. So for the sake of this argument I'll just ignore that there was much more warming in the first half of the twentieth century than in the second half though we burnt much for fossil fuels during that time. And I'll ignore Earth's history of extreme climate changes and pretend that we humans, who've been here for 200,000 of this planet's 4.5 billion year history, are going to destroy the Earth by raising it's temperature half a degree despite the massive climate changes in managed to survive in the past.

Now that we've established that the Earth is warming and, in keeping with conventional wisdom, man caused it. Can man reverse it? Is that feasible? Is it worth sacrificing our individual way of life, our free enterprise system, our global economy for? Is it worth growing the government to an unprecedented size and scope? Or is it smarter to, rather than try to reverse or minimise global warming, simply adapt to it? Who knows, maybe it'll be better. In fact that's exactly what some scientists say. Over the last hundred years, the areas of the Earth that have experienced the most warming have been the coldest parts of the world. In moderate temperature parts of the world, warming hasn't happened nearly as much. e.g. In the United States, the temperature has risen half a degree in the last 100 years. In Siberia the temperature has risen for 2 degrees in the last 50 years. Who wants to stop that? Are we sure yet we want to waste so much money and sacrifice so much in the name of this boogie-man called "global warming"?

I hope we both learned a bit from eachother....:cheeky:

I would strongly recomend to read a book called "Cradle to cradle", by William McDonough and Michael Braungart.
If focuses on design as a problem solver- but it also describe so many of the problems we have gotten ourself in to in terms of developing unsustainable system.
The good thing is, that when you realise that this is in fact our own doing- you also realise that we can find other solutions. if we put our mind and effort to it. We just have to be willing to think outside the box. This is not just about global warming. its about pollution of the earth that produce the food we need, pollution of the water we need to survive, precious resources that are used to produce stuff we do not need, and that is thrown in the garbage few days after it is bought. Its about child labour, and dangerous working environments for the people producing all the stuff we really do not need- or really apreciate that mutch.
The boogie man is not "global warming". its rather the blind eye we tend to turn to things that we do not want to know about. And the irony is that if we collectively did act towards creating a more sustainable way of living and a more humanistic aproach to our development of the society we all live and die in- we would gain so mutch more then by holding on to our old perceptions of what can and what can not be done.

I would strongly recomend to read a book called "Cradle to cradle", by William McDonough and Michael Braungart....

the irony is that if we collectively did act towards creating a more sustainable way of living and a more humanistic aproach to our development of the society we all live and die in- we would gain so mutch more then by holding on to our old perceptions of what can and what can not be done.

Beautifully put. We are so confined by what outdated notions of what can be done... we must break free...

I've heard McDonough speak -- he has many case studies proving we can in fact gain -- including economically -- when we break free from old ways of doing things.

You know i'm not buying Al gore's BS! i do not like this whole green capitalist scheme that is going on these days it is those same oil companies that are driving this green environmental agenda once again for profit! there was actually an interesting documentary about the wrong doings that Al Gore was taking part in and was highlighted during his political campaign back in 2000. Look up Oxydental Petroleum and take a look at this part of the documentary speaking on this exact issue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF7ZfeNzFLM

You know i'm not buying Al gore's BS

You don't need to. It's got nothing to do with Al Gore. You can't dismiss this unprecedented consensus of the world's scientists. You may not fully grasp just how global and sweeping this consensus is. So you don't like the salesman -- ignore him, he's irrelevant. It's got nothing to do with the product itself. If you went to look at a Ferrari, but the salesman irritated you, would you then say that Ferraris are crap? Would you show people your documentation of some alleged wrongdoing of that salesman ten years ago to justify your opinion? Not logical.

Bo G, a very inspiring post you wrote here. I was thinking about that too after having seen This Is It but where to start is the big question.

Allow me to post some suggestions for the personal living part:
- save your (plastic) bags and use them several times, take them to the shop
- don't leave the water running when you're brushin your teeth
- buy fruits and vegetables from the season and not shipped from afar
- support ecological, biological grown vegetables and biological diary products
- become a vegetarian!
- take a shower instead of a bath
- for non u.s. citizens: walk, ride your bicycle, use public transportation
- carpool with colleagues
- many governments subsidize solar panels on roofs of houses
- buy a smaller car
- turn off appliances entirely, not in standby mode

I'm sure there are many other things people can do if they want to. Make that change!

I like the suggestion about following the local government on their environmental policies.

AND FOR CHRISSAKES 'RECYCLE'. i still have ppl on my street who dont and it infuriates me, i wash out bottles , tear down cardboard and all that and then i get mad when its only a few who take the trouble to recycle and some only bottles and cans there is more to recycling than bottles and cans. omg dont get me started.:wild:

OMG! Penn & Teller are GODS!!! As you can guess about me, I do think their libertarianism obscures their critical thinking on a few issues, but on most things they are dead on and much needed... brilliant, hilarious... a much-needed force. Did you see the Water Steward? (For the curious, these are magicians/humorists/ranters with an agenda, a "physical magic" version of the UK's great "mental magician" Derren Brown... search for these terms on YouTube).
Well I'm glad we found common ground. I loved their episode on bottled water with the water steward. Classic.

You know, Penn & Teller are great friends and admirers of Michael Shermer, who I've just mentioned in another post. If P&T have not yet joined him in a "we were wrong about global warming and cap-and-trade," I would bet big money they will very soon.
I believe Penn & Teller and Michael Shermer already share the same opinion of global warming, which is the opinion shared by the sceptic community and the libertarian community, which is that global warming has happened to some extent but there's no definitive evidence that we are causing nor is there definitive proof that it's going to be an altogether bad thing for the planet. Perhaps Shermer has gone even further than that and said it is likely that we are causing it. But I highly doubt he's gone as far as supporting cap & trade. If he has he's strayed very far from libertarianism, too far for staunch libertarians like Penn & Teller to stray with him. Though the libertarian community is divided on this issue, the majority of the movement believe if there is a problem it should be solved largely by private initiatives with very little to no government involvement.

I use fluorescent light bulbs.
I can't stand them. When I moved into the place I'm staying at now, all the light bulbs were fluorescent. The light they gave off was so dim. They really suck. I had to replace them all with incandescent light bulbs. I just had to. The fluorescent light bulbs hardly lit up anything. I don't know what I'll do for proper lighting when Australia completely bans the sale of incandescent light bulbs in 2010. Perhaps I'll have to burn tires to give me light.

You know i'm not buying Al gore's BS! i do not like this whole green capitalist scheme that is going on these days it is those same oil companies that are driving this green environmental agenda once again for profit! there was actually an interesting documentary about the wrong doings that Al Gore was taking part in and was highlighted during his political campaign back in 2000. Look up Oxydental Petroleum and take a look at this part of the documentary speaking on this exact issue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF7ZfeNzFLM

Yeah, Al Gore's documentary is riddled with inaccuracies and fallacies. He's a bit of a scam-artist, you're right. How much does he stand to gain from cap and trade? It's nothing but a get-rich-quick scheme for, as you put it, green capitalists.

Last edited:
I can't stand them. When I moved into the place I'm staying at now, all the light bulbs were fluorescent. The light they gave off was so dim. They really suck. I had to replace them all with incandescent light bulbs. I just had to. The fluorescent light bulbs hardly lit up anything. I don't know what I'll do for proper lighting when Australia completely bans the sale of incandescent light bulbs in 2010. Perhaps I'll have to burn tires to give me light.

Than that is just you then. I am glad to hear that Australia is banning incandescent bulbs. I wish the United States would do the same thing. I just love using fluorescent light bulbs. They are so much better than regular light bulbs. They last a lot longer than regular light bulbs. And they are better for the environment.

An aside to the libertarians posting who admire Michael Shermer...

The Flipping Point
From the June 2006 Scientific American Magazine

How the evidence for anthropogenic global warming has converged to cause this environmental skeptic to make a cognitive flip

By Michael Shermer

In 2001 Cambridge University Press published Bj�rn Lomborg's book The Skeptical Environmentalist, which I thought was a perfect debate topic for the Skeptics Society public lecture series at the California Institute of Technology. The problem was that all the top environmental organizations refused to participate. "There is no debate," one spokesperson told me. "We don't want to dignify that book," another said. One leading environmentalist warned me that my reputation would be irreparably harmed if I went through with it. So of course I did.

My experience is symptomatic of deep problems that have long plagued the environmental movement. Activists who vandalize Hummer dealerships and destroy logging equipment are criminal ecoterrorists. Environmental groups who cry doom and gloom to keep donations flowing only hurt their credibility. As an undergraduate in the 1970s, I learned (and believed) that by the 1990s overpopulation would lead to worldwide starvation and the exhaustion of key minerals, metals and oil, predictions that failed utterly. Politics polluted the science and made me an environmental skeptic.

Nevertheless, data trump politics, and a convergence of evidence from numerous sources has led me to make a cognitive switch on the subject of anthropogenic global warming. My attention was piqued on February 8 when 86 leading evangelical Christians--the last cohort I expected to get on the environmental bandwagon--issued the Evangelical Climate Initiative calling for "national legislation requiring sufficient economy-wide reductions" in carbon emissions.

Then I attended the TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) conference in Monterey, Calif., where former vice president Al Gore delivered the single finest summation of the evidence for global warming I have ever heard, based on the recent documentary film about his work in this area, An Inconvenient Truth. The striking before-and-after photographs showing the disappearance of glaciers around the world shocked me out of my doubting stance.

Reducing our CO2 emissions by 70 percent by 2050 will not be enough.

Four books eventually brought me to the flipping point. Archaeologist Brian Fagan's The Long Summer (Basic, 2004) explicates how civilization is the gift of a temporary period of mild climate. Geographer Jared Diamond's Collapse (Penguin Group, 2005) demonstrates how natural and human-caused environmental catastrophes led to the collapse of civilizations. Journalist Elizabeth Kolbert's Field Notes from a Catastrophe (Bloomsbury Publishing, 2006) is a page-turning account of her journeys around the world with environmental scientists who are documenting species extinction and climate change unmistakably linked to human action. And biologist Tim Flannery's The Weather Makers (Atlantic Monthly Press, 2006) reveals how he went from being a skeptical environmentalist to a believing activist as incontrovertible data linking the increase of carbon dioxide to global warming accumulated in the past decade.

It is a matter of the Goldilocks phenomenon. In the last ice age, CO2 levels were 180 parts per million (ppm)--too cold. Between the agricultural revolution and the industrial revolution, levels rose to 280 ppm--just right. Today levels are at 380 ppm and are projected to reach 450 to 550 by the end of the century--too warm. Like a kettle of water that transforms from liquid to steam when it changes from 99 to 100 degrees Celsius, the environment itself is about to make a CO2-driven flip.

According to Flannery, even if we reduce our carbon dioxide emissions by 70 percent by 2050, average global temperatures will increase between two and nine degrees by 2100. This rise could lead to the melting of the Greenland Ice Sheet, which the March 24 issue of Science reports is already shrinking at a rate of 224 �41 cubic kilometers a year, double the rate measured in 1996 (Los Angeles uses one cubic kilometer of water a year). If it and the West Antarctic Ice Sheet melt, sea levels will rise five to 10 meters, displacing half a billion inhabitants.

Because of the complexity of the problem, environmental skepticism was once tenable. No longer. It is time to flip from skepticism to activism.

Each person has to tailor a package of actions that is right for that person. We can't know why others don't do the things we think they ought to do. None of us is so pure we can judge another individual.

You might recycle but not be able to get to compost or write letters. I might lobby and garden organically but don't recycle. He might drive a large car but has one child; she might drive a Prius and have four children. I may be vegetarian, but can't bear fluorescent lights... well, you get the picture.

No Stephen Colbert fans here who saw that video upthread?

MTV, Oct 26 2009:

This Is It Music Supervisor Michael Bearden Explains:
Michael Jackson Wanted This Is It Shows To Warn About Global Warming

The name 'This Is It' was a message about saving the Earth, music supervisor Michael Bearden explains.

[...]

Jackson intended these concerts not only to serve as a thank-you note to those fans, but also to continue to spread his message of love, Bearden said. He wanted the world to know that this may be it when it came to seeing him tour, and also that if we don't start paying attention to the world around us now, then it will be it for the Earth too.

" 'This Is It' — obviously people equate that to the last tour," Bearden said of the tour name's dual meaning. "His passion was to save the world save the planet, to heal the world. ...

"He would say to me, 'If we don't stop doing what we're doing with global warming and the Earth and how we're treating each other ... it could be irreversible in four years or five years" Bearden explained. "So, 'This Is It' meant to him that this is it: We don't have much longer to save the planet, to heal the world."

Last edited:
It KILLS me as an American how "Earth Song" was so popular elsewhere in the world but ignored by the media here. How sad that tabloid-style journalism hampered his attempts to build awareness here as well...

Was Michael Jackson the World's Biggest Environmentalist?

by Alex Pasternack, New York, NY on 06.26.09
Treehugger.com

Michael Jackson was famous for his socially-conscious music, but "Earth Song," his big, bold environmental call-to-arms, is often overlooked. Still, by sheer dint of his reach, the song might have made Jackson (who bears no relation to U.S. EPA chief Lisa Jackson) a kind of super-sized Al Gore, a decade before An Inconvenient Truth.

"Earth Song" is indisputably the most popular green-themed tune ever. It remains Jackson's best-selling song in the U.K. (yes, bigger than "Thriller" or "Billie Jean"), and beat out the Beatles' first single in 25 years for the top spot on the British charts. But the song, and its lavish globe-trotting video, barely registered in the U.S.

Record executives at Epic apparently didn't think it had much life stateside. Perhaps the themes of ecological destruction weren't suited to pop radio in the U.S. market, or the song's musical approach -- gospel, blues and opera -- was considered too offbeat for American audiences.

Whatever the reason, the song was never released as a single in Jackson's home country. And the dramatic music video -- shot in four different places and depicting man-made ecological devastation and renewal -- was only rarely played on American MTV.

[..]

With its themes of drought, over-fishing, deforestation, pollution and war, the song and video speaks as loudly today as it did in 1996. And its image of smog being sucked back into a smokestack foreshadows the ambitious hopes of clean coal proponents.

Notably absent however was what has become the most talked-about environmental issue: climate change.

At the time, climate change was still a relative seedling of an ecological crisis to many (and the science of greenhouse gases doesn't lend itself easily to the pop form). Still, heard by millions, "Earth Song" was pop music's biggest environmental song, and probably the first ecological eye-opener for millions of young fans. The message was clear: we are the world indeed, and we need to take care of it accordingly.

[...]

Here's what Jackson said of the song:

I remember writing Earth Song when I was in Austria, in a hotel. And I was feeling so much pain and so much suffering of the plight of the Planet Earth. And for me, this is Earth's Song, because I think nature is trying so hard to compensate for man's mismanagement of the Earth. And with the ecological unbalance going on, and a lot of the problems in the environment, I think earth feels the pain, and she has wounds, and it's about some of the joys of the planet as well. But this is my chance to pretty much let people hear the voice of the planet

Each person has to tailor a package of actions that is right for that person. We can't know why others don't do the things we think they ought to do. None of us is so pure we can judge another individual.

You might recycle but not be able to get to compost or write letters. I might lobby and garden organically but don't recycle. He might drive a large car but has one child; she might drive a Prius and have four children. I may be vegetarian, but can't bear fluorescent lights... well, you get the picture.

No Stephen Colbert fans here who saw that video upthread?

I have seen the video before- its good:yes:
I agree about eatch having to find their own path with this- but we also need to find some collective ways of handling things. This is not about pinting fingers,its about finding a way to incorporate the idea of sustainable living in to your own life,your work, the way we think.When everything we use,is valued also for its value in terms of sustainable living then we will get somewhere. One way to start is to look around you, and really see all the stuff we surround ourself with. Become aware of what the products we buy are made of, and where.

Oh- and to Bob George; the new thing when it comes to ligthing is diode lights. They last virtually forever, and this is going to replace many of the old versions. The price is going down, they give exellent ligth, and there are new, and very good designs coming out all the time. And: its less material, and more light. A good thing for the environment. Personally I dont really like the so called energy saving light bulbs. They also contain mercury, and are a hazard to the environment if they end up in nature. And if the people buying them dont deliver it to the right places after use.....well, then we have a problem.

A second aside to MJ Libertarians, -- those who find this an utter bore, do carry on... :)

I'm a part of the skeptic community along with Penn & Teller, and perhaps you as well? Here's a fascinating discussion about how these guys are struggling to evolve their thoughts on global warming. It also links to "Ron Bailey, science correspondent for Reason, another libertarian climate skeptic who prominently changed his mind two years ago." (I haven't read this yet, but I've heard Bailey speak in support of cap and trade.)

[Mind Games:] Penn & Teller - "Bull****" artists - get ready to change their "skeptical" stance on climate change

You don't need to. It's got nothing to do with Al Gore. You can't dismiss this unprecedented consensus of the world's scientists. You may not fully grasp just how global and sweeping this consensus is. So you don't like the salesman -- ignore him, he's irrelevant. It's got nothing to do with the product itself. If you went to look at a Ferrari, but the salesman irritated you, would you then say that Ferraris are crap? Would you show people your documentation of some alleged wrongdoing of that salesman ten years ago to justify your opinion? Not logical.

no of course i don't deny global warming, im all for recycling and doing what ever to help this beautiful planet we live in, however i have a problem when something as serious as this is being used as a "marketing tool" when the same people behind this marketing scheme are also behind the wars going on.

Michael did not use the words global warming in the this is it movie, he said the planet was sick and had a fever, and we had 4 years to heal and that we need to love and unite, which is equally important to healing the planet. Michael said we had to do it and could not rely on others, it had to come from us.

Be the change you want to see in the world. Start with the man in the mirror!

The rain forest are the lungs of the earth and if they do not stop destroying it humanity will be doomed.

Al Gore is a fraud who is being sued by 30 000 scientist and his side kick government scientist used false data for the global warming agenda which is all about collecting carbon taxes and has been very profitable rather than stopping destruction of the rainforest and powerful companies that have trashed the planet in the first place by pouring poisonous chemicals into the environment, which destroys and poisons wildlife. They invented and use depleted uranium on the third world which causes horrific injuries.

I went to a 4 hour talk by scientist who was a government scientist and he said global warming was a fraud and he could demonstrate exactly what was going on, he was a scientist who worked on the windscale project in the UK which was a place which researched why children getting leukeamia who lived near a nuclear plant.

However I do care about the environment and it is being poisoned and trashed by powerful companies and they are not stopped. I've always loved and been connected to the earth and animals and wildlife with all my heart . I run an eco business,I use corn starch biodegradable plastic,not the kind that does not biodegrade and fills up lands sites, whydon't the government do some thing about that making businessess use biodegradabe corn starch if they care.

I run my car on veg oil

I use natural soap pods from trees, instead of poisonous detergents which pollute and poison the system it pours into.

I'm organic mostly raw vegan and eat my food locally rather than imported across the world, at great carbon cost.

I don't use palm oil from destroyed rain forest or use cosmetics or shampoos from those sources.

Conventional detergents and shampoos have sodium lauryl sulfate, a polluting ingredient avoid all product with this in, and go for biodegradable products and biodegradable washing up liquids etc.

http://vermontorganicsoap.com/Dangers-of-sodium-lauryl-sulfate.htm

The rainforest is also destroyed to grow soya for cattle food, it takes 35 pounds of vegetable protein, to make one pound of animal protein, this is a waste of resources, so people can help by eating less meat or at least those who are free range and grass fed rather than grain and soya fed.

There are so many things we can do,but we have to be the change, talking about it and arguing won't change anything,it just contributes to the problem. Healing comes from the heart not the head

. People should just do whatever they feel they can and move from there

http://www.worldlandtrust.org/supporting/donation.htm

£50 ($100) buys and protects a whole acre* of threatened wildlife habitat in a 'Buy an Acre Fund' project area of your choice. £25 saves 2000 square metres (half an acre).

There is a thread on Michael's last message to us here.

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80177

Last edited:
December 21st 2012 here we come...... i can't wait for the fireworks.

...I went to a 4 hour talk by scientist who was a government scientist and he said global warming was a fraud... Al Gore is a fraud ...

...I understand, Gaiaschild, that for personal reasons you prefer the opinion of this unnamed person to the global scientific consensus. That's certainly your right. Please understand, though, that this focus on personal opinions about Gore is a red herring; he's simply one advocate, not a scientist. Again, who concludes Ferraris are junk because they dislike the Ferrari salesman? And while you are entitled to dismiss the world's major scientific bodies... the Nobel Prize international committee... the United Nations... world leaders... majority public opinion... such provincialism surely makes one less a citizen of the world.

However, as I've said in your thread, I applaud your lifestyle. I only hope you decide to no longer attempt to discourage the many us of working to solve this grave problem.

I so agree that rainforest destruction is serious; it also contributes to global warming. But there's more going on. I really understand how emotionally tough it is to accept this bigger picture, but let's be strong, as MJ was, take a deep breath, and open our eyes to what's happening to our beloved Earth:

More Polar Bear Populations in Decline
New York Times, July 6, 2009
...participating scientists concluded on an optimistic note, saying they were “optimistic that humans can mitigate the effects of global warming and other threats to polar bears, and ensure that they remain a part of the Arctic ecosystem in perpetuity.”

polar-bears-2-large.jpg

National Wildlife Federation on global warming
WHEN CORAL REEFS BEGAN mysteriously dying ten years ago on a beloved reef just off Key West, local scientists and environmentalists launched a determined effort to find out why. They cordoned off parts of the reef with metal stakes and dispatched a steady stream of divers with cameras to monitor corals for signs of encroaching pests or diseases.

A decade later, the metal stakes are still in place at Eastern Dry Rocks Reef, but the corals themselves are gone. Virtually all of the reef’s majestic elkhorn corals vanished in less than six years, along with purple sea fans, fingerlike pillar corals, and many of the fish and other creatures that lived among them...

I myself dived on this particular glorious reef, and was planning on returning. Reading this has broken my heart.

Healthy reef:
080922155914-large.jpg

Dead reef:
dead-coral-540x380.jpg

Michael Jackson 'working on new climate change song before death'

By Matthew Moore
Published: 5:30AM BST 27 Jun 2009

Telegraph.co.uk

Ebony Magazine December 2007
Q&A: Michael Jackson, In His Own Words

Ebony: So, you play on a world stage. How do you see the shape of the world today?

Michael: I'm very concerned about the plight of the international global warming phenomenon. I knew it was coming, but I wish they would have gotten people's interest sooner. But it's never too late. It's been described as a runaway train; if we don't stop it, we'll never get it back. So we have to fix it, now. That's what I was trying to do with "Earth Song," "Heal the World," "We Are the World," writing those songs to open up people's consciousness. I wish people would listen to every word.
flip-c.jpg

It's not too late!! Let's all do our bit and save this gorgeous planet from destruction
Everybody Sky is trying to save trees, it's a really good project. See this:

Sky wants to do its bit too. Every £10 donated to the Rainforest Rescue site will help to protect around 500 trees - Sky will match every donation made, up to the value of £2m.

The aim is for the Brazilian state of Acre to act as a role model for conservation in Brazil and the project will help local communities to look after their forests.

Each year, around 22 million tons of CO2 are created by deforestation in this state alone.

Rainforests are the most diverse ecosystems on earth but they are rapidly diminishing.

Colin Butfield, head of Campaigns at WWF told Sky News Online: "We've lost over half the forests on the planet, to give you an idea of the speeds they're going, we lose about the size of 36 football pitches every minute - so that's pretty fast."

Tropical forests are home to more than half the world's known species of plants and animals and destroying them is contributing to climate change on a massive scale.

They also play a critical role in regulating our climate and in sustaining the local water cycle.

http://rainforestrescue.sky.com/

£10 = 500 trees saved :D

I love you all and thank you for the information and ideas you have shared. LETS DO IT!!! LOVE :D

It's not too late!! ... I love you all and thank you for the information and ideas you have shared. LETS DO IT!!! LOVE :D

Thanks, Moonwalker... I looked at your link, and it's looks like a wonderful project. I'm glad to see Sky (the media company) is partnering with World Wildlife Fund to protect our climate and rainforest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back