The Michael Soundtrack Album - what should the Estate do?

Taylor Swift is not the same thing. She re-recorded her earlier albums because she didn't own the masters to them and still doesn't. They're not remixed unreleased songs, and not the original recordings either. If people want the versions they originally heard, they'll have to buy Taylor's original albums and not the new versions. The difference is that Taylor gets more money if the re-recorded versions are bought and/or streamed or if companies want to license certain songs. She has no control over the original albums.
Yep snoop dogg said that

On that note. I had an idea that may be interesting: They re-release 'Michael' with new mixes of the tracks on there more faithful to MJs original vision (bc tbh i do not like how BTM or HT turned out, and I wish it was someone else other than Akon on HMH but thats just me), with some new unreleased tracks like CGYWOOM, Dreams Away, etc.. Call it like 'Michael: 2024 Edition' or something along those lines. If taylor swift can do it, why cant the MJE? very bad and unrealistic idea ik, just wanted to throw that out there lmao.
I can see them doing this with Xscape this year, since it's 10 years old as a set. But otherwise, it's not necessary. Just decanonize Michael and make something that really resembles a follow-up to Invincible.

That's for another thread though.

I think the desire to have unreleased songs should not overtake making a product. The film needs to pick songs that fit the narrative and the soundtrack follows suit.

As a product though, if Jaafar sings the songs, that's more unique than more MJ tunes on a CD. And yeah, remixes are still unique.

Anything would be more interesting than just recreating the Essential 3.0 or a better Michael.

Obviously MJ is well known, but the biopic will be bringing lots of new people in, so all that's needed really is a greatest hits album (soundtrack) or playlist.

I'd like more, of course, it'd be cool if they included some demos of already released tracks like with TII soundtrack. I doubt they'd include any fully unheard songs.

Obviously MJ is well known, but the biopic will be bringing lots of new people in, so all that's needed really is a greatest hits album (soundtrack) or playlist.

I'd like more, of course, it'd be cool if they included some demos of already released tracks like with TII soundtrack. I doubt they'd include any fully unheard songs.
That's a fair point, actually. Two very good points I was too sleepy to think of yesterday.

Hopefully the knuckleheads who run the estate dont accept any “basement demos” sung by impostors.

Honestly, some original songs by other artists wouldn’t be a bad idea, with a few covers. If they have that version of I’ll Be There from the Pepsi commercial in full, or an MJ re-recording of Never Can Say Goodbye, those would be nice to have on there.

you shouldn't expect anything it will definitely be a best of album from songs from biopic you have everything already several times history greatest hits number ones ultimate collection the essential this is it it's enough for me

you shouldn't expect anything it will definitely be a best of album from songs from biopic you have everything already several times history greatest hits number ones ultimate collection the essential this is it it's enough for me
Prince Jackson in the MJ Las Vegas Event, stated that they are looking over unreleased music for the movie. And based on other previous Biopics there is always a soundtrack that is featured including rare or unreleased material. #MJBiopic #MichaelJackson #Biopic

They can have a soundtrack with the hits and release a new album of unreleased tracks. Who ever said we can’t have both. A few months after the biopic release would be a good strategy for releasing new music. Of course a new single release a few week prior to the movie release. Me personally, I am done buying repackaged songs that I have had for decades.

Back