Let's end the confusion about MJ's unreleased tracks here

John Barnes was working with Michael during his stay in Bahrain but when we would ask about the music or anything, he'd steer away from the topic and say he's not ready to talk about it yet.

Last edited:
John Barnes was working with Michael during his stay in Bahrain but when we would ask about the music or anything, he'd steer away from the topic and say he's nohyt ready to talk about it yr net.
Why he did not say tomboy have vocals or no .why he did not said MJ recorded alright now with vocals

John Barnes was working with Michael during his stay in Bahrain but when we would ask about the music or anything, he'd steer away from the topic and say he's not ready to talk about it yet.
Didn't we get confirmation from someone that nothing was actually done over there?

Why he did not say tomboy have vocals or no .why he did not said MJ recorded alright now with vocals
I think it's safe to say that MJ vocals exist for these, in some capacity.

Keep in mind that collaborators are exactly that, first and foremost. Us fans want to know every nuance of these tracks. But given the passage of time and work with numerous other artists, they aren't likely to remember the exact state of a vocal. They have many other things to devote time to.

It seems like John simply wasn’t very involved in the Bahrain sessions beyond orchestrating “I Have This Dream.” Buxer and MDP have both shared recollections of the era, Damien Shields confirmed that at least one song (“He Who Makes the Sky Gray”) exists with MJ vocals, and other onlookers have confirmed that some sporadic recording was taking place—so, at the very least, we can be certain that MJ was doing something.

For Buffalo Bill, I think he meant production for the song is complete but not vocally complete.
I'd say it's the opposite, full vocals & not polished production. Why else was it a release candidate in March '84 - just few month before the release of Victory?

Buffalo Bill is great but has never been completely finished.

Production Wise, it is unfinished. Hence why it's never been "finished".

Buffalo Bill is one of the first complete songs I did for and with Michael.

Vocally finished. With lyrics and all. And MJ had a full song to present, not something that was sketched and then realized during the sessions.

It seems like John simply wasn’t very involved in the Bahrain sessions beyond orchestrating “I Have This Dream.” Buxer and MDP have both shared recollections of the era, Damien Shields confirmed that at least one song (“He Who Makes the Sky Gray”) exists with MJ vocals, and other onlookers have confirmed that some sporadic recording was taking place—so, at the very least, we can be certain that MJ was doing something.
If that’s the case, why would John avoid answering? There was something deeper

I'd say it's the opposite, full vocals & not polished production. Why else was it a release candidate in March '84 - just few month before the release of Victory?
It was probably previewed early with intentions on completing in time of the album. Michael was also allegedly shopping the tape around to various DJs during the time, although John Barnes said he doubts that.

It was probably previewed early with intentions on completing in time of the album. Michael was also allegedly shopping the tape around to various DJs during the time, although John Barnes said he doubts that.
I could see him playing records early for record execs/journalists, but I can't picture him letting a tape make the rounds for DJs, etc. Especially given his perfectionist nature. He'd probably be thinking of edits or overdubs while letting someone listen to it. lol.

I could see him playing records early for record execs/journalists, but I can't picture him letting a tape make the rounds for DJs, etc. Especially given his perfectionist nature. He'd probably be thinking of edits or overdubs while letting someone listen to it. lol.
That’s why I doubt it as well because I can’t see Michael shopping around unfinished music…BUT, he did do that with the promo flight tape for Dangerous so it’s not that far fetched

If that’s the case, why would John avoid answering? There was something deeper
It seems like “I Have This Dream” was a hugely controversial project—maybe it has something to do with it? Just speculating, of course. It was also a very sensitive time for MJ, being just a couple months after the trial. Maybe speaking about it was taxing for him.

Whatever the case, I’m sad we’ll never know what he wanted to eventually share with us.

John Barnes - in my opinion - was one of the greatest figures we had in terms of detailing writing, recording, unreleased tunes, etc. He really went in depth with his answers and you could tell how deeply Michael had impacted his life.
I agree. Nothing against Quincy but Barnes helped Michael craft his sound post-Thriller.

Messed up how Quincy pushed Barnes and his team out the picture during BAD.

Why would they not bite? Michael Jackson at the height of Thriller? No way this happened.

I don't remember ever seeing anything other than that on his site. We know she participated in this song because she's already been asked about it by several fans.
Was it so? I remember fans reaching out to her and asking more about the song and its compleness.

Perhaps I'm misrembering parts of it - it's been a long time since then. But I do remember for sure it was herself who revealed the song title.

Back