Songs where Michael for one reason or another sounds different?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I have this feeling with some songs that I clearly hear it is Michael singing but he somehow sounds different than on most of his records.

The main song that has this effect on me is “Baby be Mine” he sounds kind of hoarse on it which makes me wonder if he could sing it again the same way. Another song is “Get on the floor” it feels to me like his voice here is coming from real deep which makes it sound just different.

There is of course the obvious one which is 2000 Watts but there is no way they didn’t tamper with his voice on that track imo. Heaven can wait also sounds just weird during his ad libs.

Teddy Riley stated that Michael Jackson sings with his real, deep voice on the '2000 Watts' song:

"Yes. He did sing that low [on '2000 Watts'], the only effect I put on him vocal after he sang it was the Yamaha symphonic preset" (Teddy Riley)

Also, one can say that Michael Jackson intentionally chose to sing his ad-libs on 'Heaven Can Wait' with a strained voice in order to fit the sad, lyrical theme of that song.

Not a chance in hell that 2000 Watts is his real voice. Pitch has been lowered to make him sound deeper.

I do remember around the time of Invincible there was media stories saying that Michael was trying to sing deeper overall.

Trying to find songs where he doesn't sound like himself and I need to highlight Fly Away, it defo sounds like him, but man those opening vocals are insanely beautiful.

Sorry bit off topic.

DSTYGE is pretty unique... Jam. Dangerous is almost whispered.

History, Who Is It, Scared of the Moon, Heaven Can Wait, Whatever Happens, One More Chance, Your Ways, a few like them.

Cheater, i've been working on something related to it lately and i've been listening to it, i always thought it sounded quite a bit like Bad era but it sounded off in one way or another... i found out it belongs to the 1984 Soundcastle sessions.
Of course it sounds off, it sounds like Victory/Victory Tour MJ.
That's why it sounds weird, because it's victory tour MJ in a studio :alien:

Cheater, i've been working on something related to it lately and i've been listening to it, i always thought it sounded quite a bit like Bad era but it sounded off in one way or another... i found out it belongs to the 1984 Soundcastle sessions.
Of course it sounds off, it sounds like Victory/Victory Tour MJ.
That's why it sounds weird, because it's victory tour MJ in a studio :alien:
I can't believe I never realized that. Wow.

Chicago 1945 is definitely a (Post) Thriller outtake in that case.

In The Back

I've never heard Michael sound so subdued and defeated in sections of that song, he's like a wounded animal. I'd never heard him sound that hurt before. But what I love is he roars in the chorus of the song and is defiant

Also his small part in WBSS 2008, I remember the first time I heard it on the radio and I didn't believe it was Michael, it was so different.

Last edited:
So nobody hears what I hear on "baby be mine"? It is hard to describe, I don't have the words or wisdom for it but he almost sounds like a different artist, the color of his voice is different but unmistakably still Michael (yes I am contradicting myself).

So nobody hears what I hear on "baby be mine"? It is hard to describe, I don't have the words or wisdom for it but he almost sounds like a different artist, the color of his voice is different but unmistakably still Michael (yes I am contradicting myself).
They did change the pitch of the song so yes, he sounds "squeakier" and more chipper than usual.

I mentioned this before but I think MJ sounds a bit sick on the 'Loving You' demo, which would match the lyrics lol:

'And the weatherman said if you're not well, stay in bed
'Cause I've been feeling down and blue and it's cloudy in my head
Instead of going out to some restaurant, I stay home in bed'

Another Part Of Me.

I love this song, Mike sounds so much younger and seems to have a more youthful voice on this, than he does on anything else on the record

I know the John Barnes sessions started in 1983 and this song originates from that time, but it doesn't sound re-recorded at Westlake, I don't think it was

I think 2000 Watts is his real voice
just listen to this
just about what do you mean by that syntagm,if you don't mind me asking?
don't get me wrong,as I'm asking purely out of curiosity,all things considered..

The thing that stands out to me is how high the key actually is. I think it may have been too high and that prevented him somewhat from singing that song more comfortably and more smoother but he still pulled it off and delivered one of his greatest vocal performances in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
The thing that stands out to me is how high the key actually is. I think it may have been too high and that prevented him somewhat from singing that song more comfortably and more smoother but he still pulled it off and delivered one of his greatest vocal performances in my humble opinion.
I agree. I just listened to PYT and he sounds quite similar there.

My standout part or piece of Baby Be Mine is the synth bass though. It is comparable with the bass on She’s Trouble.

Back